585,605 active members*
3,226 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > Mastercam 9.1 Quick question for the pro's

Mastercam 9.1 Quick question for the pro's

Hello!

I would first like to thank all the cnczone members for informing me of this crazy industry known as manufacturing! (truly i have learned a lot)

I am using mastercam 9.1

I am trying to make a R1.5 around a 24x36x12"

The only way i currently know how to do is:

Created a new (4) operation for each edge. This is very time consuming because the machine must travel the distance of the part EACH step EACH side.

What i am trying to do is create a tool path for a R1.5 around the outer edges with 1 operation (climb cutting each side one after another)

Thanks in advanced,

-Grant

Not sure I fully understand what your doing, cutting a 1.5 radius on the outside edges? Maybe if instead of Mcam you used a sub program and incremental moves, and a ball insert tool?

Sorry if i incorrectly used the lingo. Yes 1.5" fillet on the outer edges. I am hoping to use mastercam to do the process because there are other processes being milled. A ball insert tool is being used.

Lets use the long side for an example:
    right now its cutting 36" at a depth of .035

so its cutting 36" (minus lead in/out) then rapiding 36" back to the start of the next pass.

What I would like is for it to do all 4 sides together. The best way i can explain is it that the cutting z depth remains the same on all 4 sides. (clockwise)

Hope that helps!

Thanks,

-Grant

Grant if you can make surfaces and then make a tool path for it. I just did in MC10 but I do not know if you can in MC9. I made four surfaces,one for each edge. Just play with it for a while, took me 20 minutes to do it. Good luck

multi-surface contour finish

Quote Originally Posted by TopTool View Post
    Grant if you can make surfaces and then make a tool path for it. I just did in MC10 but I do not know if you can in MC9. I made four surfaces,one for each edge. Just play with it for a while, took me 20 minutes to do it. Good luck
    Thanks, i tried a bunch of things with no success!

Quote Originally Posted by slowlearner View Post
    multi-surface contour finish
    Slowlearner,

i am not finding that option in the mastercam 9 menus.

Looks like i'm the slow learner...

What my options are:

Toolpaths -

chain
    window
    area
    single
    section
    point
    solids
    last
    unselected

what menu/paths do i need to take to find "multi-surface contour finish"

Thanks for your time,

Grant

Grant I will try to send you some info on Thursday and explain what i did, try drawing your shape and put circles on the ends but use your wpc feature so your looking straight on to the ends of shape and put a 3 inch circle one each end and trim them to a radius.

I am going from memory so if someone see's a mistake please correct me.
    Main Menu
    Toolpaths
    Surface
    Finish
    Contour
    I think this is the correct order. I noticed I had them in the wrong order before. I'll try to help you if I can but its been a long time since I used it.
    Scott

Grant this is what I made to create toolpaths.
    Attached Files Attached Files

THANK YOU CNCZONE!!

Slowlearner / TopTool

Thanks for all your tips and suggestions. Slowlearner, your memory serves your correct!

Mastercam 9.1 -

Main Menu
    Toolpaths
    Surface
    Finish
    Contour
    *Solids* - My object was a solid

Sorry I can load V9 on my system as Win7 wont run it. but this path can be done on V9.
    Using the Surface, Finish ,Contour you can achieve what you want.
    I am guessing you to not have a 1.5 radii tool?

What type of path are you using at this time?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Solidblock1.5rad.jpg   surfcontour1.5rad.jpg  
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

Quote Originally Posted by granth3 View Post
    Slowlearner / TopTool

Thanks for all your tips and suggestions. Slowlearner, your memory serves your correct!

Mastercam 9.1 -

Main Menu
    Toolpaths
    Surface
    Finish
    Contour
    *Solids* - My object was a solid
    Adjust Gap setting to 700. and the tool will stay down
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

Quote Originally Posted by cadcam View Post
    Sorry I can load V9 on my system as Win7 wont run it. but this path can be done on V9.
    Using the Surface, Finish ,Contour you can achieve what you want.
    I am guessing you to not have a 1.5 radii tool?

What type of path are you using at this time?

CADCAM

Thanks for taking the time to make picture, its very informative. Before i figured it out (5 min ago) I was forced to make a different opp for each of the 4 sides.
    Example 36" side -
    Cuts 1st pass 36"
    Rapids back 36" and starts the next step
    Forward - Backwards - Forward - Backwards

We have more tools then tim the toolman taylor! How does having 1.5 radii tool change things? I am still new to most of this, thanks for taking the time to explain.

-Grant

I spoke too soon! I changed the tool to a larger size and now its jumping over the corners.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

-Grant

Quote Originally Posted by cadcam View Post
    Adjust Gap setting to 700. and the tool will stay down

CADCAM,

I adjusted the gap setting to 700 but it seems to be the same. I have attached the file!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/33121115/4_S...US_ONE_OPP.MC9

These sort of features are best done using SURFACE ROUGH/FINISH FLOWLINE & a bullnose cutter

Bullnose allows the cutting on the upper area to be on the perifery ( mot near the center, as when using a ballnose )

Surface Finish Contour will do cuts in Z-slices, too many passes are needed to get an even finish over all of the radius, or not enough passes where it is needed.

Surface Finish Flowline is calculated on CUSP height, & this works it out it's own stepover on the radius sweep to maintain an even cusp
    -set "clinb milling, & ( I think ) single pass ( underneath )
    -Drive surfaces are all the fillets & the top ( to stop the cutter plunging )
    -set GAPS to be "Over All Surfaces" ( to allow the cutter to "roll" around corners
    -you may also have to set the cut direction & starting pass ( grey lines, green arrows ) from radial cutting to lonitudinal ( I think ) "Cut Parameters"
    -"Depths" can also assist in the calculating of the machining zone, or eliminating some un-needed passes ( ie 0.002" below the top level )