585,753 active members*
4,559 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Uncategorised CAD Discussion > Looking for CAD/CAM software for a small machine shop.

Looking for CAD/CAM software for a small machine shop.

Hello Friends,
    I am looking for a solution, for a small manufacturing unit to digitize their drawing database. It is essentially a machine shop with few turning centers. The requirements in order are
    1. should be capable of drawing in 3D and then produce 2D drawings with dimensions etc.
    2. Should have an option to automate drawing repetitive tasks as most of the parts are identical or have the same base structure.
    3. Should be capable of producing route sheets or something similar.
    4. Should be capable of producing G-Code for CNC turning center.
    I was looking at Kubotek KeyCreator and Alibre Design. Even though price is an absolute criteria however I would like to know if cost was not a criteria is there application which can do all this. I read a lot about PROE, Inventor and SolidWorks while Googling, but there ought to be some thing less intimidating for a small units as well. If I may add I have some experience with AutoCAD 2004 (can use LISP and visual basic). Looking forward for some brilliant suggestions from the members, Thanks.

If your familiar with autocad, then Rhino3d may be a good fit. It also has a million 3rd party developers for anything needed. (The Gcode part) or automating specific areas...

Thanks for your kind suggestion. Rhino seems to be quite impressive but to me it seems to be a bit on the artistic side. May be it would work well for a Engraving or Vertical Milling Machines. I am not sure if it would work well in my situation as I was looking for something to work with Turning Centers.

Well, Rhino is a NURBS "CAD" package. It's drawing tools are extensive. It's fully 3d. It meets all the criteria you laid out (Except gcode and running the machines. But they have the add-ons for that) The models it puts out are precise. It will have the largest "toolset" for the price compared to others.

I also mentioned it because you said you have AutoCad experience, and they have their product setup to be like AutoCad...

Is there something specific you can show that you are looking for?

SpaceClaim

Check out SpacecClaim. It's really easy to use. You can put together a 3D part in record time. IT automatically creates a three view drawing for dimensioning. Dimensions automatically are updated as you modify the solid on the other view. It will import and save as many different formats.

For CAM, Visual Mill is easy to use and pretty full feaured. It's not as robust as MasterCam, but not near as expensive either.

I’ve been using KeyCreator/Cadkey for 23 years and Surfcam for the past 16 years. The combination is quite good for us but will set you back about $15K for the combination of both full 3D CAD and CAM. However, if you want something that does route sheets I’m not sure what CAD/CAM program does that. Perhaps a higher end program like Pro-E or Unigraphics would have that capability, for a hefty price I’m sure. KeyCreator can do bill of materials and Surfcam can give you set up sheets if that is what you’re looking for. If you looking for a CAM program that just does basic Lathe programming they are pretty cheap and plentiful. Once you add mill-turn capability the price can go up fast.

Solidworks has become pretty much the standard here in the USA and is a very good product with a huge user base and is taught in most schools today. Finding trained users will not be as hard as finding trained KeyCreator users but KeyCreator is easy to pick up. Hope this helps.

I have a copy of visual mill and a the plug in hasp that came with a machine i purchsed. I use another software and don't need it. Contact me if you would be interested in it.
    Ken

Thanks for all the help guys I'm in India, and have very recently decided to join our family business. We have a small machine shop, with couple of (Fanuc Controlled) NC turning centers. I am mechanical engineer and have a fair bit of experience with AutoCAD. I tried few of the CAD softwares suggested, and had to let go of some of those which looked promising for the lack of freely available learning material. The last one being tried out is Alibre and it seems to be capable of handling, most of all that I will be doing on it. Will be moving on to Spaceclaim as it looks promising as well.
    Now the sticking point is how do I generate G-Code from it. From what I understand I may be needing some sort of processor to generate G-Code specifically for my machine (Fanuc in my case).
    I have designed a simple bolt and have a dxf file of it. I am going to download visualTurn demo mode and see if it works for me.
    I am trying to get our unit ISO certified and I have been told that using route sheets on manual lathes is one of the requirements for ISO. I would be more than obliged if learned members of this forum would advise any other alternative.
    Thanks for all your help guys, will keep everyone posted about the final outcome.

Company,
    The last 2 apps you mentioned are "Modelers". They will make the model/geometry.

The "toolpath and G-code output" will be handled by a different program.... I think Alibre partners with "VisualMill" by Mecsoft. I didnt see a CAM partner for Spaceclaim.

But you are also not limited to using that partner software... You can save your model from the design package and load it into many different CNC packages... But if you are getting going on it, maybe the integrated one will be an easier start (Alibre with the Mecsoft Plugin)

Here is the link to mecsofts Lathe/turning module:

http://www.mecsoft.com/visualturn.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by BurrMan View Post
    Company,
    The last 2 apps you mentioned are "Modelers". They will make the model/geometry.

The "toolpath and G-code output" will be handled by a different program.... I think Alibre partners with "VisualMill" by Mecsoft. I didnt see a CAM partner for Spaceclaim.

But you are also not limited to using that partner software... You can save your model from the design package and load it into many different CNC packages... But if you are getting going on it, maybe the integrated one will be an easier start (Alibre with the Mecsoft Plugin)

Here is the link to mecsofts Lathe/turning module:

MecSoft VisualTURN: program 2-axis CNC turning centers or lathes.
    SpaceClaim has a module for Visual Mill. It integrates into the gui so you can export all models or only the currently selected one directly into Visual Mill.

Hi there,
    i use proe for about 14 years.
    i am so familiar with it that it is not possible for me to work anything else.
    The main advantage is that CAD and CAM is integrated uner the same platform.
    the cam is very power powerfull especially for milling
    The cam does things that other programs cannot even dream.

the main disadvantage is the slow learning curve, and the post processors are difficult to find. Although there is a fanuc pp standard.

I also like Solidworks with solidcam integrated witch is simple and efficient.
    If you dont want to go in deep waters try this one.