585,762 active members*
4,033 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > EdgeCam > EDGECAM PROFILE CYCLE GIVES ME UNEVEN TOOL PATH

Red face EDGECAM PROFILE CYCLE GIVES ME UNEVEN TOOL PATH

HI WHEN WE TRY TO FINISH THE PROFILE BY USING PROFILE CYCLE THE TOOL PATH GENERATED BY EDGECAM IS UNEVEN.I ATTACHED HERE BOTH THE TOOL PATH AND PART PICTURE FOR REFERANCE IF ANY ONE HAS FACED THIS PROBLEM OR ANY HELP WILL BE GREAT.

THANK YOU!
    PRASAD.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails edgecam_uneventoolpath_3.jpg   EdgeCam_Part_Finishing.jpg  

I see this from time to time, are you using solids, wire frame or surfaces? At least it is showing up in edgecam so you will know when it is fixed without having to run another part.

Here is what I would be doing -

Check your tolerance is set to a reasonable amount, say 0.01MM.

Switch on line arc output in the general tab of your profiling cycle.

If you are using solids, try switching the prismatic geometry on/off.

Avoid using surfaces if possible.

Make the toolpath as simple as possible, by this I mean use as little geometry and settings to generate the toolpath. You can run into problems if you try to use check surfaces, limiting angles etc. unnecessarily. Plus you're just making your job harder.

One of the first three will usually do the trick. However there are times when those types of problems are caused by a dodgy model, if that is the case you may need to draw something in.

Unhappy

HI SMILEY
    THANK YOU FOR THE REPLY.I AM USING PROFILE OPTION THEN I USE SOLID AS MY GEOMETRY THEN I WILL HAVE THIS PROBLEM WHERE AS IF I USE WIRE FRAME I WILL GET SMOOTH FINISHING.BUT SOME OF MY PARTS ARE REQUIRED TO USE SOLID TO MAKE PROGRAM.I HAVE TRIED ALL POSSIBLE OPTIONS(INCLUDING UR SUGGESTIONS) TO SOLVE THIS BUT IN EDGECAM EXCEPT FOR 2D I BELIVE WE CANNOT ACHIEVE GOOD SURFACE FINISH.

Can you attach the ppf and post processor (CGD only) and I'll have a look. Obviously something is amiss here with the toolpath.

try useing a helical toolpath. that should force it out.
    DONT MIND MY SPELLING ... IM JUST A MASHINIST

I suggest you take Mr. Meegrs offer to look at it,
    I suspect he knows more than any of us.

Poor toolpath when profiling

There is no problem using the solid, but when using 'profiling cycle' the surfaces to be machined need to be fairly vertical. Surfaces closer to horizontal need to be machined using other cycles such as 'constant cusp'.

This is because of the way EdgeCAM searches for surfaces depending on the cycle specified.

Sorry, I can't be specific about the vertical/horizontal 'rules' or angles, so you have to see which cycle gives the best results on surfaces selected for machining.

'Project flow curves' or 'project circular pattern' might be good for your case.
    Have a play.

Best of luck.

Have you tried mill type to conventional / optimised?

Have you tried mill type to conventional / optimised?