584,805 active members*
4,854 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > CamBam > inkscape to cambam

inkscape to cambam

my logo in inkscape is 4 x 5 inch but after i save as .dxf file when i open in CAMBAM it changes the size on the logo to 28inch x 35 inch anyone know how i can fix this?

i can scale it in CAMBAM after i open but it seams like to loose a lot of small details and the size is not accurate as it should be.

I think inkscape uses a fixed drawing units (regardless of how your drawing is set up).

I haven't looked at this for a while, but I recall switcher wrote an improved DXF exporter (and also has some great vector art on his website).
    Inkscape R12 Dxf - DXF R12 - Free Cnc Dxf Vectors

CamBam shouldn't lose any resolution when rescaling, so it sounds like this information has been lost in the export to DXF stage.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by linkintiger View Post
    my logo in inkscape is 4 x 5 inch but after i save as .dxf file when i open in CAMBAM it changes the size on the logo to 28inch x 35 inch anyone know how i can fix this?

i can scale it in CAMBAM after i open but it seams like to loose a lot of small details and the size is not accurate as it should be.
    www.cambam.co.uk

Just a thought

Have you checked your scale in Inkscape? If Inkscape is in MM and Cambam is in inches then when you load the dxf file CamBam will assume that it is larger than what it really is? I had this exact same issue then I purchased CorelDraw 4 student version and I no longer have that issue.

One more thought

When you take a picture and convert it to dxf you will have a dxf file with a lot of splines and those splines will need to be converted to polylines and those polylines and be resized. If you need help and not getting much response here send me an email [email protected]

My name is Tracy and i don't mind helping if I can help.

Set your document to 90 DPI.

Hi there..

I suggest setting your Inkscape document size to 90 .DPI.. and then scaling your content in the document to the desired output size. Re-export to CamBam and the scaling should match.

I haven't actually tried this but it is based on the principle that.. to vectorise a bitmap in Inkscape.. and have the resulting vector be to scale... the bitmap has to use 90 D.P.I. resolution and obviously the Inkscape document adopts this setting.... If these vectors export to scale then.. any vectors in an Inkscape document using 90 D.P.I resolution will also be to scale including 'hand' work... It can't be otherwise unless inkscape makes a distinction between vectors it generates and vectors you draw... I've never found that to be the case.

Inkscape is setup by default to address this issue using the 'make a bitmap copy' function. This will create a capture of visible layers in the current document at 90 D.P.I... the default Inkscape preference setting for this operation. A vectorisation of the bitmap copy will then ensure that size in Inkscape and size in the vector correspond.

hope this helps

Danny
    What one man can do another man can do..
    BitMaps to Models, 3D2Relief, tutorials and FREE CNC Software http://cnc4free.org

Here is an idea

If you will email me your logo. I will use CorelDraw to fix it and add the details if needed. send the file to [email protected]
    :cheers: