585,729 active members*
4,862 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > Bob Cad & Predator editor

Bob Cad & Predator editor

Hi, I just upgraded to Bob Cad 24 Level 2 from level 1 and now I should be able to use Predator to edit my Posts before I load them into my controller. I am using a Tormach PCNC 1100 Mill. I posted a small part and saved it after doing the post and then opened it in Predator and tried to edit the post. All I get is a beep when I try to change any of the code.

I just got off the phone with Bob Cad support and was told I was trying to edit a read only file and was told I would have to purchase a support package to get help, basically because I must be stupid because I don't know how to save a file.

My question, do any of you guys use Predator editor and if so how do I save a posted file so I may edit the posting before loading it to my controller? Any help will be greatly appreciated:drowning:

Robert

If its a read-only file, simply find the file on the hard drive and right-click on it, then left-click on properties, then on the General tab, un-click the Read-only button.
    Steve
    V28/29 4x Pro, Haas VF-3SSYT, Haas SL-30

I checked properties and the read only box was not checked. I saved the file to a flash drive and open the file in Predator and I could then edit the file, what is that all about? By the way thanks for the reply!

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Szweda View Post
    Hi, I just upgraded to Bob Cad 24 Level 2 from level 1 and now I should be able to use Predator to edit my Posts before I load them into my controller. I am using a Tormach PCNC 1100 Mill. I posted a small part and saved it after doing the post and then opened it in Predator and tried to edit the post. All I get is a beep when I try to change any of the code.

I just got off the phone with Bob Cad support and was told I was trying to edit a read only file and was told I would have to purchase a support package to get help, basically because I must be stupid because I don't know how to save a file.

My question, do any of you guys use Predator editor and if so how do I save a posted file so I may edit the posting before loading it to my controller? Any help will be greatly appreciated:drowning:

Robert
    Robert

FYI Saved G code files are simple text files and you don`t need Predator Level 2 to be able to edit your code, Level 1 will do that OK, you can also use Notepad, Wordpad and MS Word or the Open Office "Writer" equivelant will open and edit the files fine.

What Predator Level 2 gives you are the ability to backplot your G code and also the DNC facility to upload and download code to/from your machine control.

If you already use a propriety DNC software for the up/down loading to/from your machine control then you didn`t need the Predator Level 2 at all

Regards
    Rob

Try this: Open BobCad and post a file. Don't save it anywhere, just post it. Then in the small window in the lower left hand corner, right click the script and select "EDIT CNC." This will open the file in Predator. See if you can edit it then.

Mike
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

Quote Originally Posted by Machineit View Post
    Try this: Open BobCad and post a file. Don't save it anywhere, just post it. Then in the small window in the lower left hand corner, right click the script and select "EDIT CNC." This will open the file in Predator. See if you can edit it then.

Mike
    Thanks Machineit, that did the trick, works great. My only regret is Bob Cad got me for Level2 and looks like I didn't need it to edit in Predator Any idea how to do the updated verify/simulation using the split screen and Predator?

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Szweda View Post
    Thanks Machineit, that did the trick, works great. My only regret is Bob Cad got me for Level2 and looks like I didn't need it to edit in Predator Any idea how to do the updated verify/simulation using the split screen and Predator?

Robert

Predator level two can be useful in finding errors and in fact that is why I got it. I kept getting crop circles and needed to find and eliminate them. I also use it to remove sequence numbers and comments after I have approved the programs.

If you want to try the simulate, just right click in the open window and select "Backplot." The screen will soon split into the dual view. When it does, go to the top and click on backplot and click on start.

If you can't edit you program file, you must be saving them in a bad format.

Mike
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28