585,589 active members*
2,906 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > Cleaning internal burrs on manifolds

Cleaning internal burrs on manifolds

I am fairly new to machining hydraulic manifolds, and am having a hell of a time cleaning out all the burrs from deep crossholes, and am spending way too much time doing so. I was curious if there is a process i am not aware of that would help ease the pain of cleaning these things out...like anodizing or tumbling etc...

Material is t6 6061 aluminum

any input is appreciated

Thermal deburring was what I'm fairly familiar with. We used that on aluminum and steel hydraulic valve bodies way back in the '80's.

The parts are put in a chamber, chamber filled with mixture of gas and oxygen and ignited. Flash burns the burrs as they are "heat sinks" leaving the parent material undamaged.

Somehow "Surftran" is in my memory for this one.

Dick Z
    DZASTR

Barrel or vibratory finishing, if you can't readily get into the internals with hones or other deburring tools....

Or abrasive flow machining, where you pump an abrasive slurry through the cavities. If you've got big burrs that are resistive and have greater strength, more likely you need to re evaluate your initial machining process.

The flash-thermal approach is good if you can get the heat right to the problem, but aluminum does suck up the heat.

The thermal deburring worked fine on our aluminum parts. The heat flashes too fast to sink into the parts, burns up the burrs.

The Extrude Hone works well too. May require some "tooling/fixturing" as well.

Dick Z
    DZASTR