585,585 active members*
4,002 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Fanuc > Wiring info needed please: 5F/3000 A06B

Wiring info needed please: 5F/3000 A06B

I purchased a used Fanuc servo motor: 5F/3000 A06B-0345-B331
    It should be here in a few more days.
    I plan to drive it with the Granite Devices VSD-A series drive. However, I do not have any information on the servo. According to the specifications on the plate it looks like a good match. However I do not know the pinouts for the motor and encoder.
    It just says "pulse coder"-- any hint in the model number as to what kind of encoder it is?
    Also does anyone happen to have any data on the pins? It would be much appreciated.

Thanks-
    Colin

It appears to be a 2000p/rev absolute encoder.
    I may have the pin out for it, but it may not be usable on a Granite device?
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

OK, thanks Al. I'm pretty sure it came from a robot, so the abs encoder does not surprise me. I thought I might get lucky but I can just put another encoder on it. It will be for a spindle on a small lathe, so nothing critical.

About the motor pin connector- I have not seen a photo of this exact servo plug, but all the other ones I have seen have 7 pins for the motor. Other than the 3 phases and a ground and/or shield, any idea what the other pins are for? And for that matter, which ones are which?

Thanks-
    Colin

Right, Fanuc robots are generally absolute encoders, are you sure there is 7 pins?
    The motor plug is usually 3 for the 3 phases which should all have low resistance between them and nothing else and one for the ground, generally the power is not shielded, I am not sure what the rest would be as the thermal overheat sw usually goes back through the encoder connector, any brake fitted is usually a separate connector.
    Al.

Albert E.

Al-

I can reply back with much more knowledge of what I'm working with once it arrives. I was just trying to get some research out of the way before it came in.. you know how it goes.

For now all I have is this pic of the one on the way: http://i18.ebayimg.com/03/i/001/07/05/13a7_12.JPG

And looking at pics from other very similar model numbers they all have 7 pin motor connectors: http://www.ellingsenresearch.com/ebay/redmot5f2a.jpg

Thanks-
    Colin

Quote Originally Posted by nicad View Post
    For now all I have is this pic of the one on the way:
    Colin
    I will see if I can find more in the servo manual.
    You do realize that one has a tapered shaft?
    Al.

Albert E.

The robot motors use a different scheme for the brake connection.

If this 5F/3000 motor has a brake, it will have a 7 pin power connection.
    Without a brake, it has a 4 pin power connection.

A - U phase
    B - BK1 (brake coil)
    C - V phase
    D - BK2 (brake coil)
    E - W phase
    F - no connection
    G - Frame Ground

Keep in mind that these servo motors are AC Synchronous motors (not AC Induction motors). They have permanent magnets in the rotor and require commutation control that is designed for this motor. I don't know how you are going to make this thing to work with a 3rd party amp. Not saying it can't be done, just that I don't know how to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by cnc2149 View Post

Keep in mind that these servo motors are AC Synchronous motors (not AC Induction motors). They have permanent magnets in the rotor and require commutation control that is designed for this motor. I don't know how you are going to make this thing to work with a 3rd party amp. Not saying it can't be done, just that I don't know how to do it.
    I have converted a few Fanuc to BLDC commutation.
    IIRC the Granite uses the encoder to detect the correct commutation point, after an initial small movement test of the rotor.
    Al.

Albert E.

Got the servo in. The Fanuc encoder was not useful for me at all, so I removed it and mounted an AMT102 encoder in its place and an AMT line driver cable to connect up to the VSD-A encoder input.
    It does have the 7 pin connector on the motor. I used cnc2149's pinout and once I got the voltage high enough to release the brake (30+ vdc) it fired right up first try, so I have it running under the Granite VSD-A control now. Next step is to see how well it behaves as a spindle drive motor.

Thanks for yall's help!