584,817 active members*
5,103 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Need some direction to build a small machine to allow me to build a larger one

Need some direction to build a small machine to allow me to build a larger one

I have a gecko controller and a few 300oz motors and couplers as well as some 1/2-10 ACME threaded rod which I purchased a couple of years ago thinking I would build a router out of MDF. Well, my woodworking skills have never been the greatest and trying to get all of that MDF square and trying to machine motor mounts out of MDF just never worked for me.

I was wondering if anyone was aware of any designs for a smaller machine, maybe something in a 8"x10" to 12x12" form factor that would be stiff enough to machine some aluminum parts from for building a larger machine. Preferably a design that would be made from something that can be bolted together for the most part. I am hoping to use something like this to machine some motor mounts and bearing blocks and maybe some tools to help me get a larger machine square as well as build some motor mounts for converting a 7x10 mini lathe to CNC.

Thanks for any help.

http://www.build.cl

Build the big machine and use temporary motor mounts then use the big machine to make its new motor mounts. It works, i did it. I did have bearing blocks and linear rails which made it easier. Use clamps and scrap pieces of aluminium.