585,948 active members*
3,619 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

stinger1 or romaxx wd-1

Hello everyone,

I know people have touched on this before. I've dug through many posts, however I still have some questions on which machine will better suite my needs. Both machines fit my bill in terms of size. I currently have a taig cnc mill and have been following the stinger and wd-1 for some time. Im not concerned with add-ons such as a computer, software etc.. as I have mach3/cambam/cad software.. I will use the machine primarily for cutting instrument faceplates/enclosures (wood/plastics) 2-3 days a week.

The stinger appears to win in rigidity has hiwin bearings and seems to use a single center drive for the y?? (R&P on all axes).

The wd-1 uses ballscrews and a in house designed v-rail system with abec7 ball bearings, two ballscrews are used on the y clocked together via a timing belt.

my main concern is Accuracy and repeatability.

so with that being said, which is better for me? can I expect a accurate rack free system with the stinger? Should I be concerned with the wd-1 clocking system? Is a ballscrew system with v rails and exposed bearings superior to a R&P system with hiwins?

again this will be used primarily for faceplate cutting where aesthetics are a concern so accuracy>speed.

Thank you for any input.

Jonny

i have always been impressed by the romaxx, machines at this level can be quite a delusion, the stinger and the romaxx are not in the catagorey, i also cannot speak for the romax as i have never seen one and out of 5 cnc machines i have had three have and or are camasters. i had mach three on one machine yet switched it to the wincnc controller fot the reasons of look ahead pulse and with the daughter board i can wok online and be diagnosed in minutes with wincnc ( i am a commercial woodworker) i am no fan of v bearings on an axis had them once had to adjust them too often so no more of that. i have the larger x3 camaster and a stinger both perform as expected and as accurate. my work on my website was all primarily done on my X3. i believe the stinger is a larger footprint and less expensive than the romaxx but it has been a while since i looked at the specs, i will say i have done filework with people who own the romaxx and they all have been pleased.

have you checked out the cam heads forum for the camaster owners support

www.camheads.org

jim
    James McGrew CAMaster 508 ATC
    www.mcgrewwoodwork.com http://dropc.am/p/EJaKyl

V bearings riding on rails, is not a precision machine. I ended up going to a shopsabre. They use Hiwin ralis and ball screws. I believe they make a small one as well. I also think the camaster is a good machine.

If you try wincnc you won't go back to Mach.

If you can afford it get away from stepper motors and get one with servo's. Stronger, faster, and no lost steps.

Good Luck.

Hey Guys! Thanks for the input.

I've been lurking the camheads forum for some time now.

trade off's trade off's - ballscrews w/ vrails or R&P /w hiwins...

Jim, In regards to the stinger Could you be kind of enough to describe the y axis? Is it a single center drive spanned out to drive both sides of the gantry? I haven't heard any complaints but does racking ever occur?

The shobsabre's look very nice, just a little out of my price range.

Again encoders would be nice, however I feel with proper feeds/etc lost steps should not occur.. at least thats how it is with my gecko drives. However it will be a upgrade I consider. same goes for wincnc.

I've spoke with Ron from romaxx very nice and supportive, and Joey from cammaster very nice and supportive as well. Im confident in both company's

leaning towards the stinger.. just want the warm feeling of knowing im making the right choice... dont know if anyone can help me there

the stinger is a center drive rack and pinon, gantry plate under the table it wide enough to place hiwins (4 total, two on each end) at the front and back of the width, this prevents any racking, or pivoting as would happen without this method

there is no racking
    James McGrew CAMaster 508 ATC
    www.mcgrewwoodwork.com http://dropc.am/p/EJaKyl

Quote Originally Posted by kenrbass View Post
    V bearings riding on rails, is not a precision machine. I ended up going to a shopsabre. They use Hiwin ralis and ball screws. I believe they make a small one as well. I also think the camaster is a good machine.

If you try wincnc you won't go back to Mach.

If you can afford it get away from stepper motors and get one with servo's. Stronger, faster, and no lost steps.

Good Luck.
    Well I guess someone forgot to send me the memo.

I have a Romaxx HS1 and when cutting wood, acrylic, corian (only things I have cut) you could not as for better precision. I have seen cuts made with machines costing thousands more than I paid for my HS1 and after seeing what my HS1 can do I was not impressed with the others.