584,812 active members*
5,395 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question Using RS232 on a fanuc 10m

Hi, I have a kitamura mycenter0 (1985) with a fanuc 10m with a tape drive and rs232. I want to drip feed or do direct downloads/uploads of codes from my computer. I have a cable with the correct pins, I just have no idea on where to start when it comes to telling the machine what to do to talk to my computer.

Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by davidrvalencia View Post
    Hi, I have a kitamura mycenter0 (1985) with a fanuc 10m with a tape drive and rs232. I want to drip feed or do direct downloads/uploads of codes from my computer. I have a cable with the correct pins, I just have no idea on where to start when it comes to telling the machine what to do to talk to my computer.

Thanks in advance
    Are you able to transfer programs to the machine from your PC? If so, DNC is achieved with this control by using TAPE mode selected via the mode selection switch. Then its PC software specific whether the same Send function is used to DNC as used for normal transfer of program to machine, or if there is a separite DNC mode to use.

In the majority of good DNC software, you can set the PC ready to send and waite for the machine to initiate the process. Then with the machine in TAPE mode, cycle starts is pressed to begin.

All functions such as single block, feed hold, block delete, etc. all work as per normal as if running the machine form a program held in memory. About the only limitation is if SUb programs are being used; these have to be stored in the machine's memory, but will be called by commands executed from the DNC stream.

If you don't already have communication established between the machine and PC, then you will have to check and make sure that the following parameters are set correctly as indicated:

Bit 0 = 0
    Bit 1 = 1
    bit 2 = 0
    Bit 3 = 1
    bit 4 = 0
    #0020 = 1
    #0021 = 1
    #0022 = 1
    #0023 = 1
    #5001 = 3
    #5110 = 3
    #5111 = 2
    #5112 = Baud Rate (10 = 4800) Starting point

The PC software settings will be:
    Handshake Method = Xon Xoff (software handshaking)
    Data Bits = 7
    Stop Bits = 2
    Parity Bits = Even
    Baud Rate = 4800, or whatever the machine is set to.

Just to make sure your cable is correct, the following pin out should be used:

Regards, Bill

Machine Side----------------------------------------PC Side
    DB25 Male Connector--------------------DB9 Female--------DB25 Female
    1-----------Shield---------------------Not Connected----Not Connected
    2-----------------------------------------2------------------3
    3-----------------------------------------3------------------2
    | Bridged

|
    8 All Bridged
    |

7----------------------------------------5------------------7

My information is that earlier FS10 controls did not all have a TAPE mode; if so, the ladder (if present) may have to be modified or the TAPE mode input hard wired.

Quote Originally Posted by memoryman View Post
    My information is that earlier FS10 controls did not all have a TAPE mode; if so, the ladder (if present) may have to be modified or the TAPE mode input hard wired.
    You are most correct. Most of the System 10's did not have a "TAPE" mode on the mode selector, but the System 11 and 12 did. Usually Fanuc would've had to install a DNC type function in the field. Some DNC companies could do this as well.

Thanks for your replies, I just got back in town so I havnt had time to work on the machine, I am working on it now and I checked the wire and parameters and they are all right. The mill has a rs232 25 pin plug on the door next to the tape reader so im assuming it is for DNC, and that is what I am using.

I do not have a TAPE mode, i simply have a switch by the tape drive saying "Tape Reader / Ext System"
    What mode should the machine be in to receive the data? Memory, MDI, Edit? Also I am using NCnet Lite as the DNC software.

I have heard from other sources also that hardwiring it into the tape drive could help, if this was require how would I do that?

Sir,

It seems you have a great knowledge on DNC. I'm new in CNC programming and very thankful and fortunate to see so many good people here.

I tried using DNC (Cimco Edit v5) once and worked fine. But my problem is , it always stop when the sending is complete. It's okay if i machine only 1 part, but big problem if I want to machine let say 100 parts. In this situation , I need to open a file and send it over and over again.

Perhaps I set it wrong or maybe the software is not suitable.

I hope you can help me with this.

Thanks in advance.

David Saimi Sulong
    Johore,
    Malaysia

Quote Originally Posted by mrsammy View Post
    Sir,

It seems you have a great knowledge on DNC. I'm new in CNC programming and very thankful and fortunate to see so many good people here.

I tried using DNC (Cimco Edit v5) once and worked fine. But my problem is , it always stop when the sending is complete. It's okay if i machine only 1 part, but big problem if I want to machine let say 100 parts. In this situation , I need to open a file and send it over and over again.

Perhaps I set it wrong or maybe the software is not suitable.

I hope you can help me with this.

Thanks in advance.

David Saimi Sulong
    Johore,
    Malaysia
    Hi David,

I’m not familiar with the software you have, but the issue of sending only once is definitely a function of the software. I’ve authored my own Editor/Comms application and I have a separate menu function for uploading the program to the control’s memory and for controlling the machine via DNC. The same software routine is used, but the file is handled differently depending on whether the Send, or DNC function is selected. Accordingly, check all the available setting of the software to see if there is a setting particularly for DNC application.

Regards,

Bill

Bill,

Thanks for your prompt reply sir.

Warmest regards,

David Saimi Sulong

Fanuc 10m Tape mode

I also have a Fanuc 10M with no tape mode on the control, but it looks to me that there was a RS-232 port added over the tape reader after this machine was built. I use this added port to send and receive programs to memory currently. Could it be possible to DNC (drip feed) this control larger programs without a tape mode on the control?
    I have added afew pic's, could someone please take alook and help out with the set up of DNC for this control.

Re: Fanuc 10m Tape mode

Did you fix your problem? I have the same machine but need direction in what PC software to use to send a program and how to load programs into the Fanuc 10 M control. Any advice would be appreciated. R.R.

Re: Using RS232 on a fanuc 10m

If you send me an email Add by P.M. I can send the Fanuc RS232 manual.
    For a program you can look at the free Cadem lite.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

ricreynolds at yahoo.com. Thank you for the quick response. Rick

im having similar problem with my fanuc om-b i have a rs232 cable attached and can send programs to the machine but i have no tape mode... is it possible to run dnc?

I am trying to help a friend setup his Katumari mill machine with a 1990 Fanuc 10M control. Can you tell me how to load programs into it via PC? It looks just like the one you have with the tape reader on it. We are using the cable cord but don`t know how to send programs or by what method to do so. This is the oldest method I have tried to setup. Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    If you send me an email Add by P.M. I can send the Fanuc RS232 manual.
    For a program you can look at the free Cadem lite.
    Al.
    Hi,

could you send me copy of that manual? islam_sting at yahoo.com

Sent.
    Al.

Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    Sent.
    Al.
    thank you guys for this thread... anyway i could talk one of you into helping me out with an old Victor im trying to get set up? uses the fanuc 10m and it has run the rs232 at one point, but i have a laptop connected and i am lost on how to get the 2 to talk...i will be going thru the suggested info on here and hopefully will get it going and back from the back room!

Re: Fanuc 10m Tape mode

did you have any luck getting this going?

If you want the Fanuc RS232 manual send me a PM with email.
    Although I am not sure if you can with only 2 posts.

Albert E.