585,926 active members*
3,840 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Lightbulb Anti Freeze mix for Laser cooling system

Hi guys,

I have a question in which I can't seem to find a accurate answer for. The winters here have been getting colder and colder in Ireland. Last winter it really got cold and the water froze in my laser tube and expanded and destroyed the tube completely.

So I am wondering, can I put an anti freeze mix into my water cooling system for my laser machine. As I need to use my laser during the winter months in my workshop without the damage caused by water freezing?

Thanks for your input

I have read where many use antifreeze and I intend to do the same. Follow the chart on the container for the temperature you want to protect too and the appropriate water/antifreeze mix ratio. Whether you use the RV type or general use auto antifreeze does not seem to make any difference, the RV type is less expensive but does not have rust inhibitors or water pump lube in it, both additives may not be a bad idea.

Ken

Thanks Ken for the information regarding my question. I will have a look at those two types and ask some dealers for information too about the products.

Thanks for steering me in the right direction.

You know more about lasers then I do but I think the water is always to be distilled water, though I have read where people have used drinking water it seems like a bad idea to me due to minerals in the water depositing themselves over time on the glass surfaces.

Hopefully on 08/02 my laser is to arrive at the warehouse for pick up, though this is the third date given me that it is being delivered. Makes one wonder just how long they are permitted to wait till it is cost effective to ship. It cost $567 to ship laser from China to New York port of entry then truck freighted to Toledo, Ohio a land distance of over 500 miles.
    The Towne Air warehouse in Toledo wants almost $500 to bring it to the shop which is 110 miles from them in Toledo, Ohio, I can drive the 5 hour round trip with a trailer for about $50, so they won't be getting the $500 this time around.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Shea View Post

Hopefully on 08/02 my laser is to arrive at the warehouse for pick up, though this is the third date given me that it is being delivered. Makes one wonder just how long they are permitted to wait till it is cost effective to ship. It cost $567 to ship laser from China to New York port of entry then truck freighted to Toledo, Ohio a land distance of over 500 miles.
    The Towne Air warehouse in Toledo wants almost $500 to bring it to the shop which is 110 miles from them in Toledo, Ohio, I can drive the 5 hour round trip with a trailer for about $50, so they won't be getting the $500 this time around.
    Hi Ken, Yes I already use that type of water, just need to make it less freezable it theres such a word. My laser machine came with a UV filter with it also which is good.

In regards of the waiting times for your laser. I had the same issues too. Ain't it hard to wait for something! I got my laser from "Strong Signs Digitech" and I waited about 7 weeks in total. It came by ship of course. Plus the customs. I collected myself, but only had to travel about 120 miles. The thing was so wide I had to take down my workshop door. Which laser and company did you buy it from ?

Oh and also, the minute you get the laser at home and setup, hopefully it's in English on the DSP. Mine was in Chinese and it was pure luck getting it into English.

Next setup is make sure you Align the mirrors perfectly before use, and be safe while doing so. I got burn on the index finger by mistake. I bought protection glasses for this very purpose.

I like the UV filter idea, where is that located?
    Can you take a picture of it when you get a chance?

I have not yet figured how to get it inside
    There is a garage door but inside are several larger pieces blocking sufficient clearance, moving them is an option to get it inside but right inside is not where it will live. Once inside the garage door there is another wall in the way and it will not come close to fitting through a door, with the base removed and tilted on it's side it is still 45" wide.

As it is now there are two options, one move machines to get it inside and then cut an opening in a side wall to move it to that room or cut a hole large enough from outside directly into the room where it wll be put, neither solution is particularly exciting for me.

It will be about 7 weeks if this delivery date is good as well.
    The laser was bought from XYZ-Tech, model EXLAS 1410.

The soft ware is an English version but have heard it has areas that are not a good English translation and can be quite confusing. Hopefully their after sale support is good, they say it is but what else would they say, so far support has been excellent.

I am on the Strong Signs Digitech site now, which model did you get?

Very nice Laser indeed. Did you go for the 80 watt ? or the higher up ? judging by what you were saying about the space and walls, looks like I got away easy so !!!

Im currently running a 60 watt ATM, it suits me perfectly. Although the mirrors that came with it were absouletly garbage. I have to buy some new ones. I have just replaced the tube in my own now. So I need to align all them again. Not looking forward to that.

I can't take a picture of the filter now as it's 01:30 in the morning, but I will do so tomorrow.

This is the laser I bought.

Strong Signs DigiTech Co. Ltd

I also got the rotary attachment with it.

Ha-Ha 1:30am , time to call it a day I'd say for you.
    Was just wondering what time it was in Ireland.

It seems most of the Chinese lasers are pretty much the same, a different face, different color but over all much the same components. But some are built much better with greater attention to detail which is quickly improving . I Had heard similar thought on the mirrors and lens so purchased import mirrors and lens, wa snot all that much difference. It was ordered with a 130W RECI and the cabinet is gray and off white, hated the red and gray.

Get some sleep, we will talk later.

Ken

That is a very nice looking machine with excellent specs, rails made in Japan, I'd like that, will have to wait to see where the EXLAS 1400's are made.

is your Laser hobby or are you building a business?

Yes I seen that, but whats brilliant about the rails been made in Japan ? thats the thing I don't understand. They also say about the optic's being really good. My Mirrors look like fake childrens mirrors. Not like the ones you see on ebay in pictures with the gold plating on them. Also, Strong Sign DigiTech has great support too apart from the time zone difference.

No my laser is not for a business venture. Although it has earned me a few euros doing this and that. My next project with it is the following clocks. Note, that these are not my design. Im just buying the plans and then porting them into CAD or Corel. Which ever is easiest for me.

Also, the model that you see their on there website is now revamped my model doesn't look like that. Also taking out the laser tube is horrible as I have to take the hole top cover off and remove the wires for the switches etc. I might actually cut a section out at the back and put hinges on it for the future.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1242.JPG   1178.JPG  

Growing up in the 50's lots of things came from Japan, all cheap and all junk, now Japan is world renown for quality. China has come a long way but it is still producing much junk, much of that is no longer because they are not capable of quality but that the market wants cheap, it sells so they continue to make it. The other is that their quality control is not up to what it should be, it is impossible to scrap too many parts and still sell cheap so they back off on the scraping and sell it anyway even if it is not up to standards. Reading your lasers specs it mentioned that the lens and mirrors were also imported, that they looks like children's mirrors is surprising and makes me doubt the import unless it was from India or Pakistan or could be that they just screwed up in what they installed.

The clock is super looking, looks to be quite time consuming in the port, you having to convert PDF on it?

I would not hesitate a second to cut a hole in the side, does not seem like a remove/replace should be that difficult.

How long have you had your laser?

Don't you ever sleep

Ill take out one of the mirrors and take a picture of it. I am waiting for my sister to collect the little one before I can return to my cave. Thanks for the info about the japan and chinese quality statement, as I didn't know.

I have my laser machine for about 2-3 years now, but haven't used it much and alot of that was becuase of the tube cracking from ice. I have a friend, that needed some work done, so I told him if he went half on the replacement tube, that I would carry out the work for him. He wants some Panels with backlighting capabilities made for his custom electronic projects.

Regarding the clocks, I think that supplier just sends out hardcopy plans, and theres no way im going to convert them by hand into CAD. I just used those a reference pictures to show you what Im looking to do next if I can find plans in digital format. I have one set of plans already. Actually the laser will make it super easy, all I have to do is just fit it together when the panels are done. It fits together like jigsaw pieces believe it or not!

Yes I do sleep alright five hours does me fine.

I understand on the conversion, that would be a nasty job.

The antifreeze will take care of that tube breakage.
    Continued cold/hot cycles of the PCB's can also have a detrimental effect on them, one thing you can do is keep a low wattage bulb on inside the cabinet and keep the laser covered, this will help cut down on the expansion/contraction/condensation from heat/cold cycles on the PCB's.

I am interested in clocks also, have a few plans here to consider. I have a more or less successful web site that I want to add laser products in hopes to offer more products for sale. In the US, small business, web or brick and mortar is in real trouble from the larger companies and now even the manufacturers. They are cutting profit margins for their resellers and not raising the retail price, also virtually all sell on the internet at prices I am barely able to compete with, now with the internet, they just want it all. Self made products may be a way for smaller business's to survive if you can find a product that sells. Laser engraved dog tags will not cut it, needs to be unique and have some resale value.

Ken

Valid point Ken, we need to get our Millionare thinking caps on before we :drowning:

Right im off for some food and then back to the mirror aligning. Talk to you later. Ill have a photo of the mirror too when I get back.

anti freeze

ive heard of using heated dipsticks/oil pan warmers. but thats just for cold water start up. not freezing water. take the laser out of the igloo!:stickpoke