584,800 active members*
4,760 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Talking Dehumidifier in shop to keep humidity down.

Just installed a 65pint LG dehumidifier i picked up from home depot in my shop. Bought it for roughly $250 bucks. Anyone else using one to keep the humidity down? Figured it would be a good long term insurance plan to keep rust off metal surfaces down the road. Currently its summer and only 45% humidity in my shop, during the rainy fall season though its ALWAYS wet and humidity tends to creep up.

I was just looking at some slightly smaller ones over the weekend for my shop. This summer has been one with very high dewpoints and everything is just starting to few damp. I have noticed it more with books and such than the machines. Likely will pick something up before the end of the week.

Electrolytic Capacitors

Quote Originally Posted by diyengineer View Post
    Just installed a 65pint LG dehumidifier i picked up from home depot in my shop. Bought it for roughly $250 bucks. Anyone else using one to keep the humidity down? Figured it would be a good long term insurance plan to keep rust off metal surfaces down the road. Currently its summer and only 45% humidity in my shop, during the rainy fall season though its ALWAYS wet and humidity tends to creep up.
    Yes. I have been working on a servo amp project using electrolytic capacitors. I noticed some erratic performance in the power stage. It turned out to be too much humidity, it was affecting the capacitors. I have since placed a dehumidifier in the basement. No more problems. Watch out for high humidity, it can affect your electronics.

Iron-Man

The large LG i purchased brought me from 49% down to 30%. It cycles on and off in either 2 or 4 or increments. From what i read, 30 is incredibly low :P Its summer though in the northwest. We will see how it fairs when the rain comes this fall... haha

I keep my 30x50 shop at 50% and it makes a huge difference here in Texas with just the shear heat and it keeps tools from rusting....love my Frigidaire 70 pint.
    Donald

What is the best way/ coating (spray on, wipe on, etc) to protect some very long steel linear rails?