585,975 active members*
4,537 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Knee Vertical Mills > recommendation for turnkey 3-axis nema 42 kit?

recommendation for turnkey 3-axis nema 42 kit?

[Hopefully this is the right forum. Holy cow there are a lot of sub-forums!]

I have an old wells index w/ a bandit controller that fried. It has 1600oz nema 42's, 3-axis.

Any recommendations for a complete (ideally already assembled) kit for a retrofit? I'm hoping to rip off the electronics and old motors and bolt on new ones then go.

Keling CNC seems to have a reasonable kit for ~$1500. The other places I've looked at are either a lot more, or seem to be based in asia, where support would be iffy.

Larkin has a already built controller, but I think I'd need to get $2,400: Larken Stepper Motor control products

Coltz,

Are you sure those are steppers? There is a local Wells Index one of my former employers has, and it is servo motors.

Here is a link where we discussed it:

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/knee_v...per_servo.html

JAckal :cheers:
    Everything is bio-degradable, if you run over it enough times with the lawnmower.

Rick at Wells Index sent me the spec sheet and said they were steppers. However, I haven't checked by disassembling.

In any case I was thinking of just swapping out everyhing (driver, motors, etc)

How did your retrofit go?

Quote Originally Posted by Jackal66 View Post
    Coltz,

Are you sure those are steppers? There is a local Wells Index one of my former employers has, and it is servo motors.

Here is a link where we discussed it:

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/knee_v...per_servo.html

JAckal :cheers:

Coltz,

It's going slow right now. I guess you saw where I'm doing a retro on a Hurco.

After the Hurco is done, I'm going to try to get the Wells Index and do it.

Keep us posted.

JAckal:cheers:
    Everything is bio-degradable, if you run over it enough times with the lawnmower.

Ha, well posting to CNCZone at 4:48 am is not going to make you go any faster

I had my own detour tonight. Spent yesterday making a bunch of endmill and tool holders out of 4x4s. Pulled a tool holder out today (< 24 hours later) and it was covered with rust! I've spent the last couple hours cleaning rust off of 200+ endmills and a bunch of tool holders. Really sucked.

The only good thing was that it made it easy to figure out which endmills were carbide...

Quote Originally Posted by Jackal66 View Post
    Coltz,

It's going slow right now. I guess you saw where I'm doing a retro on a Hurco.

After the Hurco is done, I'm going to try to get the Wells Index and do it.

Keep us posted.

Ha, well posting to CNCZone at 4:48 am is not going to make you go any faster
    The clock setting is off.

It was really around 6:50 am when I was posting.

Get out there early, and get it over with.