585,754 active members*
4,086 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Purchased Dust skirt/shroud ?

I heard that someone was making a dust shroud system with magnets for attaching the brushes. Does anyone know who that is?

Thanks,

Don W.

Kent CNC

CarveOne
    CarveOne
    http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

Thanks much! Not sure if I'll buy it or not though. Just a tad pricey for me, but probably worth it.

Any thoughts on the 4" hose vs dropping down to a smaller 2.5" standard shop vac fitting?

A lot of guys design and cut their own dust shoe. The brush that Kent uses can be ordered from McMaster-Carr.

It isn't the best stuff to use, but I made mine from the yellow bristles from a shop floor push broom. It isn't removable but it works ok. Look around the build logs for dust shoes made with the magnets, and ones that deflects the router fan down flow from the dust shoe and see what you can come up with on the cheap. They aren't hard to make.

If you need one yesterday and can pay the price the Kent CNC dust shoe is a popular one that gets good reviews.

A lot of people do the 4" to 2-1/2" hose drop down at the dust shoe. Keep the smaller hose the minimum length. It's better to go 4" all the way if you can.

CarveOne
    CarveOne

Quote Originally Posted by DonW View Post
    Any thoughts on the 4" hose vs dropping down to a smaller 2.5" standard shop vac fitting?
    For space reasons, I'm using a 2.5" hose connected to a Fein vacuum on my small router. It works OK but (with my small bits). If you have a bigger router where you're going to use larger cutters, I'd strongly suggest you use a 4" hose and a real dust collector.

+1 for the Kent one. His shipping is prompt and the unit looks very nicely made. I have not installed mine yet but that is going to happen very soon. All the bits for dust collector just arrived.
    it comes down to what's your time worth. If you do some looking around you will find all the details to make a clone of the Kent unit.
    Or you can order one up and it will arrive ready to go.
    I ordered mine on a Sunday and got notification it has shipped the same day. It arrived quickly via express post to Canada.

Good luck.
    Dave

I'm already using one that I made for using with my router, but it was side-loaded instead of front-loaded, and of course it's bit me a time or two. It will still work on my new spindle (2.2KW water-cooled Chinese) but I thought I might like to upgrade. I have a very good dust collection system with a run right over to the cnc, but I reduced from 5" down to 2.5" right there and ran a shop vac hose down to the cnc. It seems to work fine for collecting the dust, but I also thought maybe a 4" hose might draw even more. But with the new spindle, the idea of having the DC mount removed by magnets is a pretty enticing idea.

My machine is completely open ended so I made mine so the 4" hose is in front of the router. I originally had 4" hose feeding a Delta 1hp dust collector.

I bought a Grizzly G0578Z 2hp dust collector a few months ago while it was on sale and have started replacing the 4" PVC drain pipe with 6" wood stove pipe with acrylic caulking sealed joints. I'll still need the 4" vinyl hose from the shop ceiling down to the dust shoe. My worst problem is that the 4" hose has to follow the dust shoe over 11-1/2 feet of X travel. Not much choice in the matter because if I could get 6" vinyl hose it would be really cumbersome to deal with.

The magnets are a good idea.

CarveOne
    CarveOne

Whatever you do, budget for a dust deputy in the system.. Well worth it (many times over) IMO

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NXZKYWpMbE"]dust deputy[/ame]

The dust deputy is a nice little product, but I have a dust collector run right at the cnc. I'd prefer not to add something else to trip over in the shop.

:drowning:

Quote Originally Posted by DonW View Post
    The dust deputy is a nice little product, but I have a dust collector run right at the cnc. I'd prefer not to add something else to trip over in the shop.

:drowning:

I just love not having to continually clean out my vac filter, and that the vac always runs cool and at full vacuum now...

So, understandably, I'm pretty excited about the product...

They sell bigger ones too.. even sized for industrial applications... When the time comes for me to upgrade to a 4" system, a larger dust deputy will 'definitely' be in the system...
    :cheers:

Here's my take on the dust shoe, I used a plastic dinner prep , they are a bit hard and at first I thought it wasn't going to work good... but turn out ok.

Cheap enough...

The thing I want the most is that it's cleared... so I can see the cut... (just like it better this way).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_7011.JPG   IMG_7012.JPG   IMG_7013.JPG  

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyaz View Post
    Here's my take on the dust shoe, I used a plastic dinner prep , they are a bit hard and at first I thought it wasn't going to work good... but turn out ok.

Cheap enough...

The thing I want the most is that it's cleared... so I can see the cut... (just like it better this way).
    I'm with you on the wanting to see the cut...

Ok, I have to ask.. what's up with the way you have your router mounted? Why did you go that route?

What do you mean how I have the router mounted?

You mean the gearing? Because I like using Spindle more then the router.