585,715 active members*
3,877 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Renishaw Tool setter rookie

Just started a new job, and two of their machines have the model 27 toolsetters. I have zero experience using one of these and zero experience with haas macros. I do not see any programs or anything in the program list, however on the floppy there are several programs with the .mcr extension.

If anyone could give me a rudimentary tutorial on how to use one of these it would be much appreciated. I've searched and read a bunch of posts, but they are over my head from the get-go.

thanks

click mdi, hit the program conversation button , hit f2 pic the marco you want I think its 9998? you have 2 choices, then your tool setter macros/programs come up pic the one you want.
    its very simple took me a day to get used to it also.

Delw

Thanks,

MDI > program/conver and nothing happens.

Here's how I do it: Edit>Program/Conv 3 times>Arrow down to tool setting>Pick which one you want>/Fill in the blanks>Cycle start.

I think Del was trying to get you to go to something other than VQC? Dunno, I'm not at a machine.

EDIT: I had a Haas tech change how my control gets to the probe area. Forgot about that. You'll need to follow Del's procedure, but hit Program/Conv 3 times.

Tool Setter

Hi,

Here is a link to a video that may be of some help.[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARY8J5nAMYw]‪Renishaw Wireless Tool Setter‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

I have also attached a file that may be of some help.

John
    Attached Files Attached Files
    2007 HAAS TM-1P OneCNC XR5 Mill Pro. Shopbot PRT running Mach3 2010 Screen Set, Super PID and PMDX Electronics.Check out my Gallery on: http://[email protected]

Might be due to a different year in controls?
    Mine is a 2009.
    I am sure Johns video may help that guy has some cool vids out.

Delw

Thanks for the help fellas. Nice videos you have there John.

These machines are 05's, and neither has the VQC installed anymore in the program list. I do see it on the floppy though, along with several other programs and macros. I might want to start re-installing all of those, along with the vqc?

No one you work with can help?

Renishaw Help

Hi,

I would call Rich Foley of Renishaw 1-847-286-9953. He is a really sharp guy that can give you some guidance.

You could also call your local HAAS HFO or the HAAS Factory in Oxnard, CA.

John
    2007 HAAS TM-1P OneCNC XR5 Mill Pro. Shopbot PRT running Mach3 2010 Screen Set, Super PID and PMDX Electronics.Check out my Gallery on: http://[email protected]

On the disk, look for a program called "VQCPSMEB" ;there may be a version number at the end of the string also. Load this program into the control and it will automatically load in a whole string of renishaw programs.

Next, go to edit mode and press the prog/conv button three times.

You should now see a message that says something like "program not found" or it will show some graphics corresponding to the programming visual quick code.

Press the F2 button (pretty sure) and it will show the programs in machine memory. Find the one labeled O09996 VQCPS (Visual Quick Code Probing System) and select this. This should bring up all of the probing routines.

At this point you are free to look around and try to figure it out, but the best solution would be to have someone show you how all of the routines work. It's not difficult to learn, but very hard to describe in this form.

Good luck.

BTW - make sure the O9000 series edit lock setting is turned off. If it is on, the programs may already be in there but not visible in the list program page.

Thanks guys! I'm going to work on it later this afternoon. Unfortunately I replaced the only other programmer/operator here and am flying solo...with a vf1, vf5, tm1, tl1 and a gr512.

I did place a call for the tech to come out and do some other maintenance that I don't have time for. (bent up way covers, low battery alarms, etc.) Used to do all that stuff myself but I've got lots of parts to get going.

I'll let you know when I get it running. Actually there are 3 machines with toolsetters that all need the same treatment. THEN I can get on to figuring out the probes!

Well I've got it relatively working! Goes to correct location, comes down and picks up a value for offset table. When using the first option, auto length only, tool comes down at 80. ipm until it hits probe. Is that the correct-ish speed? I noticed in Johns video he was using the third option and entering an approx length, to which the tool would slow.

I need to spend some time going through the renishaw manual and leveling and squaring the stylus pad next.

Ok now for the million dollar question: I set all my tools off the table. All offset values are large negative numbers. The renishaw setter is entering positive values, (which look like distance from gauge length). Is there a way to re-configure to probe? Years ago I reconfigured a fanuc setter to behave in this manner. Vaguely recall editing the macro to do some math and figure out the difference. Therefore I could set tools off the table, or use the probe and come up with the same value.

Quote Originally Posted by mishikwest View Post
    Ok now for the million dollar question: I set all my tools off the table. All offset values are large negative numbers. The renishaw setter is entering positive values, (which look like distance from gauge length). Is there a way to re-configure to probe? Years ago I reconfigured a fanuc setter to behave in this manner. Vaguely recall editing the macro to do some math and figure out the difference. Therefore I could set tools off the table, or use the probe and come up with the same value.
    Theres a good discussion by Geoff I believe on this very subject.
    I thought he or someone said theres a parameter that is changed to give it the - or + in the offset. it was early last year.

Delw

It is normal for the tool offsets to be a positive number when using the tool setter. When I train new customers on probing I tell them that if they set the tools with the setter then they need to set the part with the spindle probe. This will give you a negative value in your Z work offset (g54). If you subtract the value of tool offset with the value of your z work offset you will get the value (or real close) to the value of the tool if you set it the old fashion way on the part (large negative value). Probing is actually easier to use and more accurate than manually setting tools and work offsets, so don't get discouraged. Now there are differences in the renishaw software when it comes to different haas software series. The new 16 through 18 series software has some additional options for tool setting. However you can still use the Quick code templates in these series of software.

When I train customers on probe operations I have them use the calibrations by going through the VQC templates no matter what version of software the machine has.

feel free to message me with any questions or a phone number. I can walk most people on probe operations over the phone.

When you have the tech come out for the other service and is finished, ask him to show you a few things with regards to the Renishaw cycles. It won't take him long to review things and it will become much more clear to you once you do it a few times.

Even if he bills you for the time, it will be time well spent and you can still mask it to the boss by including it in the repair time for the other machines.

Good luck!

NWserviceguy, I sent you a message. We might know each other already if your a NW Selway Tech.

Oh yeah, can't wait till service gets here for the other machines. I'm happily going to pay him for a few hrs training.

thx again felllas!

oh, a few other things: I can see the need to occasionally set a tool without presetter. Like a big slitting saw. Even if I offset the spindle when touching the probe, those things never run totally true and I like to see what the lowest cut would occur at.