585,754 active members*
4,168 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > Most inefficient tool path possible...

Most inefficient tool path possible...

I had to drill 200+ holes last night in a PCB, so I selected all the holes in Bobcad, generated the code with G81, and fired up the router. I sat there and watched as it traveled from one end of the board, drilled one hole, moved to the other end of the 6 x 8 board, drilled one hole, then move back to the other end drilling a hole that was .25" from the first one! The whole process took at least 20 minutes longer than it should have. If that wasn't frustrating enough, towards the end it started drilling holes that were already drilled (about a dozen holes).
    Surely it can be done better than this!
    If you try to make everything idiot proof, someone will just breed a better idiot!

Way back when I used to use Bobcad, I remember this problem. In short, it matters in what order you have either created the points for the hole locations, or else it matters how, and in what order, you selected them. "Select all" tends to "remember" the order in which they were created in, so although that is the quick function to use for select, it is not necessarily the best result, as you now know.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thats bobcad for ya try to generate complex surface tool path...
    In bobcad, it does rely on the order they are selected or created, its kinda like ger's program he made for autocad, but much more expencive.....

Jon