584,841 active members*
4,740 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > best cad cam for old okumas

best cad cam for old okumas

which is the best cadcam? for the old okumas such as the osp5000 lathe, type lb12 lb15, and mc4vae machining center with fourth axis, which has "fixed cycles", as we know these machines do not have large memories..., thanks

Re: best cad cam for old okumas

Okuma has it's own product ADMAC.
    Another choice is IGF ( again from Okuma ). All other CAM's suitable which can use arcs and chamfer commands where applicable instead of segmenting shape.

IGF is best choice for okuma
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge."

Depends on what you want it to make....
    Drill, tap, face, profile simple shapes.... IGF(Admac), any cheap CAM system would output short code files for lathes and mills. I suggest looking at how to create subroutines and other call statements to shorten files.

3D shapes, complex surfaces etc will always tend to be associated with long code files which don't suit small storage spaces on the older machines.... DNC transfer (not PIP), if you have that option, could allow running big code on short runs.
    DNC is very expensive if added later on these old clunkers, if it is still possible. I'd suggest updating to a newer machine. Better options, faster, current parts, easier connectivity etc

Ps...IGF is not best choice, it is an option to be added onto the Okuma control, using up more valuable storage space.
    Find something that can be run on a PC, cheap, easy to learn, and makes code for any machine, not just Okuma.

IGF generates .MIN as well. This could be used on other machines with minor changes.
    In my opinion there is IGF version running on PC as well. ADMAC is a different story it is very much like all other CAM's. While IGF is totaly unique and unbeatable.

KipwareT® (turning) and KipwareM® (milling) ... not CAD/CAM but conversational programming software ... outputs OKUMA code out-of-the-box.
    Check it out here : https://kentechinc.com/kipware-programming-software/

thank you all for the precious advice, for the moment I'm using a cadcan on the computer, I think that as superman said it is the best choice, so I learn to draw and I can create code for any machine, and I must say that it is very fast especially for details with many 3D curves, I don't know if IGF is fast and precise with 3D..