584,808 active members*
5,158 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Citizen A220 External M Code Relays

To follow up on my last thread, I installed 4 solenoid valves for air lines which I plan to trigger with the extra M codes (62-65). I finally got everything wired up today and when I added the M codes to my program, the result was not what I expected.

First I used the just the M code, M62, for instance. The program just hung at the line and waited, the solenoid valve did turn on. I am guessing this is a result of not giving an input to the external completion input. So then I tried to use the corresponding M263 and M264 which is shown the M code table as M62 external relay ON and OFF. These codes don't seem to do anything. I talked to our service tech and he says these relays need to be added to the machine.

My question is what relays are they (make, model) and how would they be wired into the machine? I don't see any free space on the relay board. Also, I am still thinking I'll need to give an input to the external completion somehow? Or is there some other way to do what I want, M62 to turn on the air and M62 again to turn it off? I need to be able to blow for several moves of the machine.

I am not familiar with your particular machine, so I don't know whether you have had to do any PLC programming for these M codes, but in general when an M code is issued a FIN(ish) signal has to be sent back to the CNC side somehow, in the case of M code functions that do not need to have confirmation, such as coolant on, for example, the FIN signal is returned in the ladder without physical input confirmation.
    For others such as tool change for e.g., then an input is usually assigned for a external FIN signal input, this particular input is used by all confirming M codes.
    Hope this helps a bit.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Yes, you are right, and this is my problem. We have a drill break sensor on the machine and it has a output for a "external completion" input to the control.

I need to somehow generate a 24V signal to that completion input on the control. With a simple solenoid valve, what is the easiest way to do this?

If the only way is to complete the external FIN signal, then you need to find that particular input that is assigned to it, hopefully there is one.
    If the drill break sensor is wired up and active to it, then you should be able to use a relay in parallel with your solenoid and use the contacts to switch 24v to the input, I am not sure what all you have there at present?
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

I talked to a Citizen service tech and got the answer to my question.

You can turn any option M code into a simple relay by changing the Keep Relay bit 8.0 through 8.4 from a 0 to a 1. No M Fin signal required.

This will then use the M260/M261 codes for on and off of M61 and so on...

Quote Originally Posted by danrudolph View Post
    I talked to a Citizen service tech and got the answer to my question.

You can turn any option M code into a simple relay by changing the Keep Relay bit 8.0 through 8.4 from a 0 to a 1. No M Fin signal required.

This will then use the M260/M261 codes for on and off of M61 and so on...

Sorry for bringing up old thread.
    I'm trying to hook up high pressure pump on 2001 Citizen L20, and cannot figure out how to use M260/M261 codes.
    How do I change "Keep Relay" bits, I couldn't find this parameter anywhere in the control. When using M60, M61, it just hangs up waiting for M Fin signal.

Thanks in advance