584,817 active members*
4,492 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Bridgeport Machines > Bridgeport / Hardinge Mills > Transporting a Bridgeport Mill in a Jeep Wrangler
Page 1 of 2 12

Transporting a Bridgeport Mill in a Jeep Wrangler

Alright well I’m looking at getting a Bridgeport mill and I was wondering if you guys could give me a hand in figuring out how to move it. I can get a 4x6’ trailer for my jeep that is rated up to 1500 lbs (800lbs of it between the trailers axel and the jeep) so I could load the main body of the unit in there, and partially dismantle the rest of the Bridgeport to get it down to 1500 lbs.

My question is, how much do these things weigh and how much do you think I can dismantle it to get it to 1500 lbs?

They weigh aroun 2400 pounds, and there are some interesting links at the bottom of this page - http://www.mini-lathe.com/new_tools.htm about moving machinery. Good luck!
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by MrRage
    Alright well I’m looking at getting a Bridgeport mill and I was wondering if you guys could give me a hand in figuring out how to move it. I can get a 4x6’ trailer for my jeep that is rated up to 1500 lbs (800lbs of it between the trailers axel and the jeep) so I could load the main body of the unit in there, and partially dismantle the rest of the Bridgeport to get it down to 1500 lbs.

My question is, how much do these things weigh and how much do you think I can dismantle it to get it to 1500 lbs?

Standard shipping weight on a 9x48 BP should be around 1750-1950 lbs.

If you are running on flat ground with no major hill climbs and stay below 25mph, you might be fine. Braking can be the worst part. Borrowing or renting a 3500 lb tow rated truck would be a safer bet.

I have used U-haul low deck 4x8 single axle and 4x12 tandem axle trailers to move BP mills 4 times. For $35-$60/day, I thought it did just fine for short hauling of less than a 100 miles. The single axle was rated at 2500lbs as I recall. The only reason I had the table off was to get it through the door originally. Mine has a CNC control on it, so it is around 2200-2300lbs. Removing the table will drop it around 200 lbs, if it is really worth the trouble.

Having something to pick and place it is the bigger issue. I now have an adjustable height rolling gantry crane capable of 2 1/2 ton that is portable. At least I no longer need to make arrangements for a forklift at both ends of the move.

DC

Recommendation - get a bigger truck. I own a Jeep CJ. I own a Bridgeport. I own a trailer. I pull the trailer loaded with motorcycles quite often with the Jeep and pulling it is not the problem - it's stopping that is the issue as One of Many mentioned.

You are looking at around 2000 pounds - as mentioned. There is a site that has all of the individual components listed - like the table, knee, ram and head. Cruise around - you'll run into it.

I would try to borrow a full size P/U with your trailer or get a roll back to move your machine. Mount the machine to two wooden runners and drag it up the roll back. Strap it down and then drag it off when you get where you are going.

Scott
    Consistency is a good thing....unless you're consistently an idiot.

insted of my jeep, how about a Euro van for towing?

What ever you do... PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE TAKE PICTURES AND POST THEM HERE!

:edit:
    insted of my jeep, how about a Euro van for towing?

Nooooo!

Use the jeep! USE THE JEEP!

:/edit:

Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

do it at 3 in the morning you shouldnt have to stop and you can go very slow. if you want to be"more legal" bring some plywood and yellow spypaint paint "slow moving truck" put it on the back.

If you're buying it from someone just ask them if you can keep it on the street until that night . Load it up, have someone pick you up and drive you back . Should be fine
    I would use chains and stay away from straps, as they have to much play.. Goodluck

I found one of these in the garage, if you think I can use it to hoist the mill onto the trailer I’ll pull it out and measure it to make sure.

http://www2.northerntool.com/product-1/200305491.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Rekd
    What ever you do... PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE TAKE PICTURES AND POST THEM HERE!

:
    Use the jeep! USE THE JEEP!
    [/IMG]
    thats funny.

as others have said stopping is an issue, as is sliding around - use proper tie downs. for that matter if the car/trailer is too small tipping over is also an issue - only half joking, they are top heavy!

were you the guy yelling Use the VW! use the VW!

or maybe the trailer is better

Check the specs on the engine hoist...usually the one-ton limit is at the shortest boom length...it drops pretty quickly as the boom gets longer.

I recently read that someone had successfully lifted a BP onto a trailer using a Harbor Freight, 2000 pound engine hoist, so I would say it is worth a shot. Just position things so thet you don't have to move the hoist once it is supporting the weight - lift it up and then back the trailer underneath it.

....and yeah - I think you should use a Jetta - just put it on the roof!!! :stickpoke

I am going to be moving my BP across town from my home to my new shop within the next 2 weeks - I will make sure I make a spectacle out of it on this board - just keep Rekd happy!

Scott
    Consistency is a good thing....unless you're consistently an idiot.

The machine weighs 2700lbs, 700lbs over the safe gross towing weight. So I’m not going to do it with the jeep, and because I don’t have any other vehicle I can use to tow it, I’ll have to figure something else out or let this one BP go =(

The machine weighs 2700lbs, 700lbs over the safe gross towing weight. So I’m not going to do it with the jeep, and because I don’t have any other vehicle I can use to tow it, I’ll have to figure something else out or let this one BP go =(

That sounds more like a series II machine Boss CNC?. Not a standard BP at any rate.

Depending on the purchase price, another $500 to have a machine mover come do the heavy work would be a good idea. Weighing your options on the condition of this machine and how often you might run across one for the price. You can always try to come back in a few weeks and offer $500 less for the machine, so the moving cost is covered. The longer it sits, proving the less it is worth to the local market.

DC

Bridgeport Amish

I bought my Kent Mill in Pennsylvania. I had rented a 2 axle trailer for my 1/2 ton truck for the 800 mi drive. When I got there to pick it up it was a single axle triler for a lawn tractor. Oh well did it anyway. After loading it up and getting used to the sway I brought it up to about 50 mph around a sweeping curve revealing a black horse drawn buggy with no lights at dusk with a very stern unmoving man in black at the helm. Mill stayed on the trailer through the pasture and my heart stayed in my chest. When I got the mill home to Carolina I used 2 scaffolds to raise it up then built a floor and a 10 x 16 shop around it. IT is now full CNC and probably a part of the home when I sell it.
    Bottom line they are heavy. Take Archimides with you.
    David in Hillsborough.
    PS I roll the mill around on 1.5" Aluminum pipe when it needs moving.

Sometimes you need to get creative.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SMMHome1b.JPG  

That's an expensive lawn mower!
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

What exactly are the cones for? Is he making laps with that thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Geof
    Sometimes you need to get creative.
    I need that trailer. Assume it's homemade? Of course, if I ever move out of here, it'll be worth it to get the boom lift again.

A series II is around 5000 lbs, 2700lbs would be without the head.

I helped someone move a series I down the basement steps once. We took everything apart down to the bare casting. The mill was brand new. We used one of those engine lifts purchased from Sam's Club, probably about the same as the HF. It worked great. I don't recall if we used it to remove the mill from the trailer it was on, but we probably did. Taking off the head and table was done with the engine hoist. I should get one for here.

Check with Tow truck company. It cost me 50.00 for one time lift. Also find a friend with a bigger truck. I towed a series II with a half ton though the mountains-never again spend a little it will be worth it in the end

Quote Originally Posted by unterhaus
    A series II is around 5000 lbs, 2700lbs would be without the head.
    I ggguess so. I was thinking original Boss machines were a series 2, but now I see they were originally based on the series 1 machine. Quite a bit of weight difference.

I had my mills and lathes in the basement too. I did it the easy way and rolled them in the door on a cart. I used the upper floor joices to lift them off the cart. I wouldn't even want to try going down steps. That is more dedication than imaginable! Heheh!

DC

Page 1 of 2 12