585,722 active members*
4,158 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > Slicing up a thick model

Slicing up a thick model

Ok totally new to Bobcad I am using the demo and like the program so far.

I have a need to be able to slice up a model into multiple pieces to machine and i have not figured out how to do this and cant seem to find any tutorials.

To better explain:
    Lets say my model is 20" thick and I can only machine 1" deep do to end mill length.
    I want to know how I can slice my 20" thick model into 20 diffeent sections from top to bottom on the z axis. So I will end up with 20 seperate models that are 1" thick. The top most model will need to retain all of its curves. Every model after needs to have a flat top and retain all curves on inner and outer edges.

The goal is to take 1" thick foam and be able to machine it in seperate pieces so that I can take all 20 pieces and glue them ontop of each other and have a 3D carved model that is 20" thick.

So how do you do this in Bobcad? I know there are other programs such as 3Dcut that can do this easily however I really like Bobcad and it will do all the other stuff I need so I would like to be able to purchase Bobcad and have it do everything. If I can figure this out Bobcad will do everything I need and more so one program to learn and master and keep on budget.

Thanks for the help.

Hi Bearwen,
    Here is a video of slicing a model into 1 inch slabs.

model_slicing - YouTube

You may have to look more carefully depending on the model, about how/where you slice things.. Boolean functions wont like extremly small slivery things, or surfaces that skim back and forth through each other at very small values..

Burrman,

Thank You that is exactlly what I wanted. I knew it could be done in Bobcad.

I really would like to know 3D cad like you. Man so many things to design not enough time or know how (yet).

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by bearwen View Post
    Burrman,

Thank You that is exactlly what I wanted. I knew it could be done in Bobcad.

I really would like to know 3D cad like you. Man so many things to design not enough time or know how (yet).

Thanks again.
    Hi Bearwen,
    Well, it really is only one way, and there will be several different ways to do things.. I think Claude presented another method in a thread here using boolean intersection and solids, which would work nice too..

The forums are a great place to see others work differently than you, and learn from...

Thanks.

I can't see the video as it is marked as private.

Anyway, I would like to do this with any software that will also do the nesting so each slice sides are milled and all the slices are placed on a big 1inch thick sheet of material to use as less material as possible.

Are you aware of any software doing that automatically? I am writing my own, but I'd love to use anything already available.

Thanks a lot,

misan