584,802 active members*
4,860 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Uncategorised CAM Discussion > Deskproto - How to cut it out?

Deskproto - How to cut it out?

I re-made a project and forgot to check the woods thickness (I set Z from the top). On the original project, designed in Rhino, the thickness matched up well and the skin left was fine. This time the skin is too thick because the wood is thicker. So, what do I do?

In Rhino I exploded the back from the front, but it's a surface and I can't figure out how to get that into Deskproto as a 2D object to cut around the 3D part. Can this be done in DP?

Thanks,
    Dan

I finally figured out how to make my back surface into a curve and I exported that as an AI which worked for the cut out.

I'm surprised there isn't a DeskProto forum in the CAM section. I'm sure there is an easier way, or at least the question would have been asked before.

Dan

Question another noob question

hi hope you can help me.
    im tinkering with dp and rhino too. strugleing to get my head around material dimensions in dp (were are they )and model dimensions in rhino.(job)
    i cant seem to see sizes

any tips/help

Hi Marko (?),

In DeskProto you can check the dimensions in the geometry information box: open via the button with the yellow "I" or via the View menu.
    The material block is the Part segment, which by default is set to the exact bounding box of the geometry. You can change that in the Part parameters (Segment tab).
    Rhino offers many measurement tools in the Analyze menu.

Lex.

PS: for a new question please start a new thread.

In Rhino both gold and 4.0 when you export at the bottom you can tell it to safe the file small, no loss of geometry and it make it easier when you start to set up for cutting in Deskproto or any other cam program..

hi hope you can help me.
    im tinkering with dp and rhino too. strugleing to get my head around material dimensions in dp (were are they )and model dimensions in rhino.(job)
    i cant seem to see sizes

__________________________________________________ __________________________________

Producto Chino
    Tablet PC

A bit slow reply: as you entered your question in a very old thread it is not visible too well.

In DeskProto the material dimensions can be set (and seen) in the Part parameters: on the Segment tab.
    Or in the wizards on page "Material and Supports".
    You can also see dimensions in the "Geometry information dialog (View menu).
    When displaying a main-view (top, front, side, etc) you can also read the cursor coordinates at the right bottom corner of the screen.

In Rhino there is a Properties command hat will show dimensions.
    You can also use the tools in the Analyze menu and the Dimension menu,
    and in Rhino too you can see the coordinates of the cursor at the bottom of the screen (this time left).

Many options: hope that at least one will suit your needs.

Lex.