585,925 active members*
3,356 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

ST-20Y Y axis questions

Hey guys,
    I'm shopping for a new Y axis lathe, and the ST-20Y is on the short list.

I have a couple of questions regarding the Y axis and non-driven tools.

I'm picturing that the Y axis has an offset like X and Z for each tool.
    Is this true?
    Example, if I am getting a nipple on the facing tool, can I just adjust Y +/- to bring it on to centerline?
    A different Y +/- for a different OD tool, yet another for an ID tool, one for the parting tool, etc...?
    Is this an otion on the offset page?

While I was pondering this, I started thinking about their half step turret.
    Is there a reason you can't just use a tool block that holds 2 OD tools, and adjust the Y axis for each offset?
    So 1 of them is T0101 and the other T0121 or something...

Never had a lathe with a Y axis, or been around one.

Re: ST-20Y Y axis questions

Hi,

Yes you can use multiple Offsets on the same toolholder, there are static and live toolholders with 2 or more tools, also for main and sub spindle side.
    I use multiple Offsets on the same finishing tool on longer shafts, for each fit another Offset, like T0213, T0214. T0215 etc.
    Before you are looking for a Haas check one in running conditions.
    I don't like the high pitch sound above 1000 rpm and more, the autodoor has no slip, and yes it hurts when you get stuck.
    Worst thing is that terrible control panel with only switches, one handwheel, may I say it s_cks !!!!
    We have a programmable hydraulic tailstock on our Haas ST25Y NGC (2019) and it isn't fast. !!!
    There is also bad visibility on chuck/collet by position of the window on the right side of the door instead of the left side in front of the chuck !!!
    A ton of safety stickers but no RED (safety) button on the chip conveyor !!!!
    No spindle run with open door, that always s_cks.
    Check all of these things before you decide to buy one !!!
    I add a ZIP-file with screenshot of the OFFSET and WORK table.

regards,
    Heavy_Metal.

Thanks bud, I appreciate it!
    I got to go check out a Doosan Lynx 2100LYA, and was impressed enough that I went with Doosan instead.
    About $20k fewer dollars too.
    FWIW, I'll bet with some thought the door can be beat though.
    I have figured it out on every machine I have so far.
    A 2012 Haas Toolroom Mill was easy. I have a switch mounted on the pendant that tells is open, closed, or normal operation. Even a key to lock it in normal if there is a rookie running the machine.
    What sucks is Haas 'upgraded' the software to not allow manual toolchanges with the door closed, so I have to toggle that button a lot now.
    2020 Haas VF2SS, a bit more complicated. And I never actually ran it, because I don't want anyones head in there when it does a toolchange. That thing will kill you! I just trick the magnets when I need to...
    Hurco Lathe, WAY more complicated, but I figured it out and have a footswitch that tells it either the door is closed or to operate as normal. That one took a 3pole, double throw switch and some wiring.
    But I can polish on parts, and check for clearance...
    When there is a will...

Hi,

I found something on the Internet for the HAAS auto-door but for now it's OK, I find it way more safe when I can see what I'm doing then hoping all goes well with a closed door.
    The Haas is OK and it does the job, I like the big memory, 1 Gb standard and as option 32Gb for $ 1295,- extra but you can run larger programs also from USB.
    Like I said before, that control panel kills me, don't like it at all, and the wrong positioned window in the door, specially when you used to other brands.
    I think the Doosan is a better machine then the HAAS.

regards,
    Heavy_Metal.

Auto door, that didn't even register with me.
    That would likely add an exponential level of complexity.,..