585,729 active members*
4,900 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > Comments at Beg Program

Comments at Beg Program

Hi guys,

Been playing around mastercam x5 and i cant seem to figure out the comment system for the beginning of programs. Every time i send the program over, my haas gets an alarm that we used more than 80 characters in for the comments. I have tried going into control definition manager and "nc output" to change the max characters with no avail. I even tried putting 5 characters max but the comments come out something like 110-120 characters.

Perhaps i need to edit the post as well for that but cant seem to figure out where to do that.

Any ideas?

Yep, Thats a Post mod.

I did the same on our post, Its fairly simple..... Can't remember exactly where its at in the post at the moment.

Let me get back to ya....

Edit:

They are in the pheader section

Find these lines >>>
    sopen_prn, sspace, "MCX FILE - ", *smcpath$, *smcname$, *smcext$, sspace, sclose_prn, e$
    sopen_prn, sspace, "NC FILE - ", *spathnc$, *snamenc$, *sextnc$, sspace, sclose_prn, e$
    sopen_prn, sspace, "MATERIAL - ", *stck_matl$, sspace, sclose_prn, e$

Mod them this way>>>>>>
    # sopen_prn, sspace, "MCX FILE - ", *smcpath$, *smcname$, *smcext$, sspace, sclose_prn, e$
    # sopen_prn, sspace, "NC FILE - ", *spathnc$, *snamenc$, *sextnc$, sspace, sclose_prn, e$
    # sopen_prn, sspace, "MATERIAL - ", *stck_matl$, sspace, sclose_prn, e$

This will comment them out.

To add to Rstewart's suggestion

If you need to keep the info in the NC file of the actual files you used or created, but not the paths to those files - just delete the RED items

Mod them this way>>>>>>
    Code:
           # sopen_prn, sspace, "MCX FILE - ", *smcpath$, *smcname$, *smcext$, sspace, sclose_prn, e$
             sopen_prn, sspace, "MCX FILE - ", *smcname$, sspace, sclose_prn, e$
           # sopen_prn, sspace, "NC FILE - ", *spathnc$, *snamenc$, *sextnc$, sspace, sclose_prn, e$
             sopen_prn, sspace, "NC FILE - ", *snamenc$, *sextnc$, sspace, sclose_prn, e$
    Copy the line & comment the original, so to know what it was
    This will shorten the comment string

Quote Originally Posted by Superman View Post
    To add to Rstewart's suggestion

If you need to keep the info in the NC file of the actual files you used or created, but not the paths to those files - just delete the RED items

Mod them this way>>>>>>
    Code:
    Copy the line & comment the original, so to know what it was
    This will shorten the comment string
    The issue is where i get something like "( T4 | END MILL 0.750 | H4 | D4 | WEAR COMP | TOOL DIA. - .75 | XY STOCK TO LEAVE - .005 | Z STOCK TO LEAVE - 0. )"

Thats a bunch more characters than my machine can handle and im trying to cut down on the amount of characters per comment. I was looking to keep it a a max of 70 but every time i set that as per my first post, its not working.

If you put your post file in a .zip and attach it to a post here, I or somebody else can edit it for you. It should be a pretty quick fix.

Frederic

Quote Originally Posted by TXFred View Post
    If you put your post file in a .zip and attach it to a post here, I or somebody else can edit it for you. It should be a pretty quick fix.

Frederic
    Thanks for the reply. All im looking to do is split that comment up based on a maximum character output as per the control definition. But it seems as though it will not allow it.

Fred, let me know what section i can copy and paste to get this sorted. SUPERMAN come to my rescue :P

This worked to some extent superman but now the tool comment is whats killing me.

Quote Originally Posted by Xavior View Post
    The issue is where i get something like "( T4 | END MILL 0.750 | H4 | D4 | WEAR COMP | TOOL DIA. - .75 | XY STOCK TO LEAVE - .005 | Z STOCK TO LEAVE - 0. )"
    Your post needs editing, you have information in the tool description that is only pertinate to each machining operation.

The info for XY & Z stock should not be in the tool comment, it should be placed with/under the operation comment & the settings can vary for each operation. So when placed with the tool comment it is false information & only read from the 1st operation done with that tool.

my tool comment line is ( your post may have slight differences-cut & paste may not work )
    Code:
    ptoolcomment    #Comment for tool
          tnote = t$
          toffnote = tloffno$
          tlngnote = tlngno$
          tldianote = tldia$
          spaces$ = 0
          "( ", pstrtool, " ", *tnote, " ", *toffnote, " ", *tlngnote, " ", *tldianote, " )", e$
          spaces$ = sav_spc
    but I also have a Stock comment
    Code:
    pstock     # Comment amount of stock to leave
               spaces$=0
               if (opcode$=13 | opcode$=14),
                 [
                 if opcode$ = 13, "( TOOLPATH - ", *sopnotehst, " )", e$
                 else, "( TOOLPATH - ", *stoper, " )", e$
                 if tool_op$ = 132,
                   [
                   "( STOCK LEFT ON WALLS = ", *stock_walls, " )", e$
                   "( STOCK LEFT ON FLOORS = ", *stock_floors, " )", e$
                   ]
                 else,
                   [
                   "( STOCK LEFT ON DRIVE SURFS = ", *stock, " )", e$
                   if check<>0, "( STOCK LEFT ON CHECK SURFS = ", *check, " )", e$
                   ]
                 ]
               spaces$=sav_spc
    I can place the pstock call after the operation comments call
    -it outputs the offset settings of each operration, even if there is no tool or operation comment to output

ie
    Code:

comment$
            pcomment3
            pstock

Quote Originally Posted by Xavior View Post
    Fred, let me know what section i can copy and paste to get this sorted.
    Just put the whole thing in a zip file and post it here as an attachment. I have no way of telling you what section to cut and paste without first seeing your post to find the right section.

Frederic

Xavior,

I did a quick modification to your post. It's in a PM to you.

I tagged the modifications with (FWS) so you can find them easily. That will also show you the section that controls your tool comments, and you can then make other changes as you see fit.

I've found that once you know where to look, editing a post is pretty straightforward.

Frederic

Re: Comments at Beg Program

Does anyone fix error this please help me, flie Post.pst mastercam x7 version

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails post1.jpg  

Re: Comments at Beg Program

comment out the line 597 & 598, ( # needs to be beginning of the line)
    , e$ added to end of line 596

wrong placement as it is just a tool listing.....
    ..it's values cancel to zero after it is output, so have it stated on the operation comment. also, each operation can have differing values

you may have to copy the reset lines up to the ptoolcomment area