585,959 active members*
4,706 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

KM3 quit, mid-cut

I have a KM3 with a problem. It has been working fine, but in the middle of boring a hole today, the spindle stopped. There was no particular fault right away, but within a few seconds and before I had a chance to shut it down, it got a z-axis motion error fault (not surprising).

Now, I cannot reset the servos. Even after a complete power cycling, I get no servo whistle when I hit Start. All of the fuses in the left cabinet are OK and I have good AC on all three legs. The magnetics do "clunk" as they should when I press Power and Start, but no whine.

In the right cabinet, on the servo amplifier board, the XFMR, +12, and -12 green LEDs are lit, but not the PBU LED. None of the yellow LEDs are on.

On the Control Relay Board, Fuse F1 is OK. For LEDs, I have:
    DS1 (K1-COR): ON
    DS2 (K2-SCRX): OFF
    DS3 (K3-SOR): OFF
    DS4 (K4-ATC/BCR): ON
    DS5 (K5-SER): ON
    DS6 (K6-CLV): OFF
    DS7 (K7-REV): OFF
    DS8 (K8-LTR): OFF

I cannot turn the spindle on and can't jog any axis.

Help?

-joel

My notes on the non-Fanuc stuff are at home. I believe the PBU LED is connected to the DC servo voltage (90VDC?) that comes from the servo transformer and through the rectifier. There's a fuse somewhere, which is probably blown. It will be a pretty big fuse in a separate holder as I recall.

Have a meter? You can follow the wires to the servo transformer which is the biggest transformer if there's more than 1 transformer. The output should have AC voltage, probably around 75 to 100 VAC. Follow those wires and you'll find the fuse & rectifier. The output of the rectifier should be about 90VDC or perhaps 180VDC depending on the servos.

It's not surprising that it blew, as the Z was trying to push the tool without the spindle turning.

Guys,

Before I started the retro on my Hurco KM3P, it did the same thing and the fuse for the servo power is in the below pic:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hurco stock fuses.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	23.0 KB 
ID:	140623

The red circles show where the fuses are located for the transformers.

The one with the red arrow and circle in the middle of the cabinet, goes to the servo power from the transformer.

Hope this helps,

JAckal :cheers:
    Everything is bio-degradable, if you run over it enough times with the lawnmower.