584,808 active members*
5,286 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 3 123

Door manufacturing

Is anyone manufacturing doors on a CNC router? If so, what are you using?...type of router, software, etc.

We use a Busellato and the control editing software it came with. The machine uses a 90 deg router head attachment to machine the back edge of the door. We mainly use it to machine out for SOS hinges.

Are you making all the components separately and assembling them? glue/dowel type thing? stiles, rails, panels, etc? hardwood? MDF?
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

No we buy solid door and do the maching of hinges, locksets etc..
    I just realized somthing, you're talking about cabinet doors not door, doors. In that case I use Cabinet Vision.

MasterCam has a nice feature that will machine solid MDF.

No, I'm talking about door doors...entry doors and such. I saw (and so did my boss) a few CNC routers at the show yesterday that were machining separate components and assembling...the boss got that crazy look in his eye...wanted to see what I may or may not be up against next.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Oh, most point-to-point machines can do what you want to do. What machine are you running?

It's a Motion Master...what this thing needs is a 90 degree attachment (for starters anyway).

That's what we use, the ONLY probem is the bit only turns about 6,000 RPM. They have newer ones that I believe will turn in the 10,000's but not for long periods. The head will set you back about $4,000 +/-.

That's what Mike said (DMI in Colorado - you know him?).

Mike swift ?

You know, all these years...I don't know his last name - works with Patrick (don't know his last name either). He was the guy that came out and trained me on the first one of these things I used.

The Mike I know works for Delmac.

Different guys...

Who do you talk with when you have problems/questions about the machine? Did yours come with a Columbo or HSD spindle? I've got a Columbo - was told I'd have to change that to HSD on top of everything else...

I have programed and cut bath Tub molds and sink molds in MDF using the 5 axis Motion Master. I would say it worked preaty good.
    I used the standerd Mastercam Mill at the time.
    Right after that we came out with the Router software.

Jen did you go to the MC booth and check it out?
    Well I am out of here in about 15 min to go out with the Mastercam crew and the show to the booth tommorow..
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

Jennifer

The other thing about aggregate heads is that they soak-up power, so a 7.5HP spindle with a 90 degree aggregate is really struggling (our Biesse with HSDs does, anyway). Nicest aggy heads I've seen to date were made by Benz in Germany. I believe that Multicam sell them in the USA (they certainly do here in the UK). Oh, yes, you may need to go to a spiral roughing tool to get the maximum plunge speed on your machine.

Scrit
    Scrit
    from the Sunny Pennines, England's Backbone

cadcam - I did make it to the MasterCAM booth, but didn't hang out and talk with anyone...what'd you think of the show?

Scrit - thanks for the input. I appreciate it.

I have to admit that I'd probably write a parametric program in G-code, after all, how many door shapes can there be? This may be a bit cruder, but if you're in for the long haul....

I suppose this makes me a sort of CNC Neanderthal
    Scrit
    from the Sunny Pennines, England's Backbone

experience with higl-level door- and window-production on cnc-machines

experience with higl-level door- and window-production on cnc-machines:

Hello,

our company (COBUS ConCept in germany) develops software
    for the woodworking industry since 1985.
    Since some years our main development is concerning door-
    and window-production.
    We have lots of installations on various machines, like
    HOMAG, IMA, MAKA, WEEKE, BUSELLATO, BIESSE, SCM, CMS ...

Bye.
    Ottmar Petry
    Ottmar Petry
    http://www.cobus-concept.com

Page 1 of 3 123