585,977 active members*
4,080 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Smooth Stepper Need Help

Hi lads,

Can any body explain what is probably a simple mistake that I'm doing?

I'm new to the CNC business and starting my first project.

And using the Smooth Stepper as the PC I'm using dosn't have a parallel port!

I installed the latest driver and plugin from Warp9 downloads page.

The software configuration ran perfect and Mach connected with the Smooth Stepper board and at that time using the USB cable for my 5V supply to the board, no problems so far! all correct LEDs on including the green (done) all perfect.

But now when the external 5V is connected I'm getting fast LED flashing a pop up window in Mach telling me no USB control device detected.

Polaritys are correct I have 5V from the power supply and the jumper is configured to accept 5V external source and I checked the 5V before connection with a multi meter.

I'd really appreciate some advice on this.

Eoin.
    Eoin

Just a stupid question but you still have the USB cable plugged in right?

Is your SS connected to another breakout board?

Thanks for the reply,

Ha Ha had to laugh yep the USB cable was still connected. The Breakout Board is the C32 from CNC4PC.

OK so here's what is happening, on the Smooth Stepper board the jumper connections JP2 and JP3 configured for 5V external are in correct positions the Jumper for selecting USB or 5V is in the 5V setting. the C32 is directly connected to the Smooth Stepper via on board connection blocks.
    Switching on 5V power turns on the LEDs C32 Breakout Board and Smooth Stepper Board, all ok tilll I connect the USB cable then the LEDs start flashing. Thinking also that there may be a ground issue with the USB B connection block on the Smooth Stepper I also connected the Jumper connection to select grounding of the board to the top right mounting hole but no difference as I expected there wouldn't be as the boards are only resting on a static free surface at present while trouble shooting.
    Eoin

Now Mach gives a warning "No devices were identified during a USB port scan, please check connections...."
    Eoin

Just another stupid question, but you are plugging in the smooth stepper BEFORE you start mach right?

If you start mach and then try to plug in the smooth stepper, you'll get error messages all day long. Just trying to rule out the obvious first.

Yup I have the SS plugged in before starting Mach3.
    All Mach tells me that no USB port connection were found and now the SS isn't registered in the Device Manager any more.

Are you using the SS with Mach? I have looked at some other forums and it appears that some people have had issues when connecting the 5V to the SS too but it's unclear how the issues were resolved..!
    Eoin

That sure sounds like a problem with the USB interface circuitry on the SS board.

I don't have an SS, so I'm not sure whether it uses something like an FTDI RS-232 to USB chip or whether it handles USB communication directly within a microcontroller, but if you have access to an oscilloscope, that might be the best place to concentrate your troubleshooting.

For example, probe and record voltages (and make note of waveforms) in that area of the circuitry when the USB is plugged into the computer (and is showing up in Device Manager) without the external 5 volt supply, then apply the external 5V and see what (if anything) changes.

You might see some chip input that was originally at one level shift to a different level upon adding external power, or you may see some signal (clock or data) that was originally working normally, suddenly change frequency or amplitude or simply disappear.

Based on what you find, you can then try and figure out whether it's something as simple as another jumper that must be changed, or whether it's something more serious.

Just to be clear, you have the SS and BOB 32 connected to a 5v power supply?

I think I used a BOB 23 with my SS and even though everything lit up with the SS connected to 5v, it didn't work until I also connected the BOB to the 5v power supply too.

...Admittedly I haven't checked the specs on your type of BOB. However, if it is optically isolated, that could be you problem.

I have built a machine that used the smooth stepper with Mach3 but I powered it from the USB. Is there a reason your choosing to power it externally?

Sounds like a driver problem to me. What smooth stepper driver are you using?

Usually you won't see the smooth stepper in the device manager until you plug it in and Windows recognizes it to the driver.

thanks for the replies,

Apart from the using of a multi meter to check for exact current or resistance in a system, the testing of the integrity of PC electronics Doorknob, is outside of my abilities, but thanks.

The C32 Breakout Board is connected directly to the block connector on the Smooth Stepper with out the need for ribbon cables or the like. I'm not sure Oxford where you got the bob32 from, but the C32 manual states which connection block to connect the 5V to and states that the board needs 5V to work.

And to answer your question Starleper1 the only reason I'm using the external5V to power the board is the power supply is already needed for the C32 Breakout Board so tis just as easy to connect both boards, however the SS manual recomends to use the USB for 5V when the first connection and configuration! regarding the device manager the first time I connected the SS it appeared in the Device Manager but not now..! additionally for anyone else reading this thread you have to install the drivers manually the SS won't allow automatic driver installation, and when you get the Windows Warning just allow it apparently this is the norm..!
    Eoin

Quote Originally Posted by doorknob View Post
    That sure sounds like a problem with the USB interface circuitry on the SS board.

I don't have an SS, so I'm not sure whether it uses something like an FTDI RS-232 to USB chip or whether it handles USB communication directly within a microcontroller, .

My understanding doorknob is the SS handles most of the computing on board within their own processor. This actually takes most of the work from the controlling PC which really is a good bonus with the board. The inter-connecting cable is a USB B cable, similar to USB to printer cable.

Warp9 state that their "driver files are a modified version of the Microsoft WHQL certified driver" but NOT to use them as there's two 'inf' files that need altering, so just download their drivers and plugin from the web link Warp9TD Downloads.
    Eoin

If you switch it back to USB power supply does everything work fine?

Quote Originally Posted by Starleper1 View Post
    If you switch it back to USB power supply does everything work fine?
    Thanks for the reply... if it did work I wouldn't be looking for help..ha ha...! but as I said in the earlier posts SS is now not recognised by the PC as there's no reference in Device Manager.

Additionally I tried another PC but with similar results (the 2nd PC again doesn't even recognise new hardware...), I emailed Warp9 support a few times and posted on their forum but still waiting for a reply............?

When I hear from them I'll post the result.
    Eoin

Do you have a photo of your setup?

Smooth Stepper Need Help "Sorted"

Just an up-date on my Smooth Stepper problem, and thanks for the replies and advice from fellow members.

The answer was found after an exhaustive series of tests and emails to and from Greg Cary from Warp9 Tech. Design - Home of the SmoothStepper - Home, And in fairness to Greg I say, credit where credit is due..! I cannot fault the support effort he put in to trouble shooting, and the result was a faulty power supply not a Warp9 product, which triggered a fault in the Smooth Stepper's very sophisticated electronics. Even though the time zone differences caused me frustration, he never failed to reply. Additionally Arturo:: CNC4PC :: iNtRo played his part in the trouble shooting.
    So well done lads... it's very reasuring to us CNC enthusiast's to know ye stand over your products.:cheers:

Thanks..:wave:
    Eoin

Most of the time it's the most simple solution to a very aggravating problem. Been there many many times.

Yeah it was frustrating it makes a fella know when he's in over his head:drowning: and even now I don't fully understand Greg's assessment and answer.
    For those who want to view Greg's analyses Warp9 Tech. Design - Home of the SmoothStepper and if the link doesn't work it's probably because your not logged into Warp9 website.

I can also post his analyses here if requested.
    Eoin

Smooth Stepper Need Help "Sorted" Yeppee

The latest and last in this thread unless I can help someone......

YEPPEE the new Smooth Stepper arrived with a combined thanks to Greg Warp9 Tech. Design - Home of the SmoothStepper - Home and Arturo from CNC4PC

and yup the Smooth Stepper works as it's supposed to.....the Stepper Motors in each of the 4 Axis move as directed by Mach……...

and for anybody who doesn't want to re-read this whole thread, it is vital that your power supply is what is recommended by your supplier in my case Warp9 and this includes checking your power supply with a multi-meter i.e. that your 5V DC power supplies output…is outputting the correct voltage that it's supposed to and again in my case for the SS..i.e. 5V DC and that it is a DC voltage reading NOT an AC reading…
    Eoin