585,760 active members*
3,844 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 40 of 40 30383940

Re: Any experiences with CNC 6040 ROUTER?

I think you'll find that controller is a USB to parallel affair. It would comew with USB CNC software. That controller board is claimed to be a counterfeit by the designer Planet CNC. The USB to CNC software is also an illegally modified copy of the real thing. I've got one of these controllers that's just been rebuilt by Homann Designs in Melbourne to use Gecko G540 controller and parallel port to parallel port. It hasn't fired a shot in anger since I got it back!

Alright so we now have figure out a lot of the basics and can produce a few simple designs. However, we broke a straight flute end mill tonight, and I want to buy some more. Does anyone have a link to a starter pack of end mills I could order that would cover my bases. Most cutting is going to be on MDF and Birch wood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by sgenevay View Post
    Thx for your fast answer. If i place two pieces of wood under to protect axes i can put it on its side. the question is would it damage the structure or damage the settings of the 6040...
    I've got a vacuum mounting machine (for mounting photos without air bubbles) It has a ½" thick glass 'lid' that weighs more than a 6040 router does. My problem was it is 6 feet wide and 4'6" deep. The room I keep it in is 15 feet x 10 feet. Space is at a premium. I don't make enough out of this branch of my business to justify using any more space but I make enough I can't justify getting rid of it either.

My answer was to bolt the long edge (with the lid hinges on it) to a pair of gate hinges that are bolted to the brick wall. I have 2 gas struts to help lift it into table position. 2 legs under it fold up when I drop the table. It doesn't quite sit flat against the wall but I get a lot more space.

I also have 6040, 4 Axis router/engraver it is actually close to 60 KG. I can't see any reason why it couldn't be hinged from a robust wall. You might need gas struts to help lift it into position but if I had to save space with mine, I'd hinge the short side to a wall. The gantry doesn't overhang the table at one end so hitting the wall as you lift it wouldn't be an issue. The only issue would be the legs. They fold under my vacuum table because of its size but you won't be able to do that with your router unless you don't mind working it on your knees! I'd be real concerned if it hung from the rafters and I had to work under it!

Smile Re: Any experiences with CNC 6040 ROUTER?

Quote Originally Posted by jasongtr View Post
    i am considering buying a cnc router in the new year (just bought a co2 laser machine and currently working to learn that at the moment), ive read mot of this thread and from what i can tell the controllers are still not that good, if were to get a 6090 size machine is it the same issues but just with a larger bed size

im thinking of this machine

UK RS6090D CNC Machine Desktop 600x900 Cutting Router Cutter Engraving Milling | eBay

thanks in advance
    That machine looks exactly like all the other Chinese machines except this one has a control box I've never seen before and some blue paint. Do you know that you can buy identical machines without stepper motors or the control box? The basic router is pretty solid. You might have to pack up one side with shims to get to cut perfectly even lines but otherwise, its the electronics and pirate software the Chinese sell that gives all the trouble. Here's a UK link to one selling for $900US
    You might find that buying an 'all-in-one' chinese controller and one of these bare routers plus the stepper motors will not cost a lot more than buying one likely to need the control box rebuilt.

If you plan on cutting and engraving Acrylic you have the right laser for cutting. I spent nearly $1000 AUD replacing faulty electronics and having the gantry re-machined so it had near perfect depth from end to end and side to side. In hindsight I should have bought the bare machine and found locally available electronics for it. You know what they say about hindsight and where it comes from . Of course its your level of engineering skills that will determine which way will suit you best.

Don't make mistakes by buying Lycnc or LY 6040. They sent me aluminum scrap for $ 2,500. At first it gave a breakdown. I never used it. they made a sloppy installation. Warranty is a big lie. Nice scam. Don't throw away your money by buying.

My experience was spindle failing within a few months followed by the control box losing Z steps from time to time. I did a major upgrade, minus the supported Y rails, and all is well now. Very soon I am upgrading the unsupported rails. Long story short... If you like to tinker with machines and making something your very own then it's worth the time and money. If you just want to plug it in and start cutting stuff then avoid any of these machines.

I got the 6040 with the 4th axis. I've had it about 2 weeks now. As stated above there is NO documentation. I have an issue with the Z axis dropping as it cuts. I'm almost positive that it is losing steps as it starts Z+ moves. I have contacted the sellers a number of times. They were demanding that I don't leave a bad review or request a return as they will resolve the issue yet its been almost a week and not a word. I have racked my brain for over a week now and still haven't got it right. Aside from the Zaxis issue it seems sturdy and all but if i don't hear back by this weekend or have it figured out myself by then, I do believe it will be going back
    Frustrated isn't the word,
    Bill

Sorry to hear about your issues. Their wiring is usually not good and the stepper drives not any better. I had one and first thing i did was dump the spindle, drive and all electronics. Only thing i kept was the main power supply and stepper motors.

Update 2/21/21....I bought one of these machines with the black box controller and the 1500 watt spindle back in October of '14. It has been run 2-3 times a week for a few hours at a time in a semi-production environment, milling 1/16" and 1/8" aluminum. I have no idea how many hours it has now, and gets pretty minimal maintenance. All the original parts are still working, although I have spares. There is no appreciable slop in any of the axis, and it still is accurate to within .001" or so. Almost 7 years, hundreds of hours, and untold numbers of parts milled, and still going strong. Best purchase I ever made.

Regards,
    Gary

Page 40 of 40 30383940