586,009 active members*
5,038 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Autodesk > Importing files from Mechanical Desktop to Inventor 2012

Question Importing files from Mechanical Desktop to Inventor 2012

Howdy yall,

I am havin some issues with importing .dwg files created in Autodesk Mechanical Desktop 2009 (mdt) into Inventor 2012. Here is what i am doing... (i used photobucket to upload the pics. If it dont work please let me know.)

#1. I find said .dwg, highlight it, click options, click import, click ok, and then click open.

#2. this window opens up...

I change "no saved configuration" to "default Mechanical Desktop configuration" and hit next

#3. then it changes to this...

Then i hit next

#4. then it changes to this...

then i hit next

#5. then that window closes and i get this popup...

What am i doing wrong? It worked when i had Inventor 2011, but then i had some computer issues, and had to reistall windows 7 (hard drive issues) and all of my programs. I didnt install Inventor 2011 initally, so i dont know what settings was changed, or if there are any that need changed.

I will admit, i am not too well educated in the ways of MDT, so please dumb it down for me.

Thank Yall in advanced!

Frank
    Dogs love trucks!

I believe it's because you're trying to open a 3d drawing in a 2d Inventor dwg.

Quote Originally Posted by striker12300 View Post
    I believe it's because you're trying to open a 3d drawing in a 2d Inventor dwg.
    No, I wasnt. It was a 3d mdt part into a 3d inventor ipt. But i eventually found the answer. Just never got arround to posting what i found off the Autodesk Inventor forum site... Here is what i found out...

Go to command prompt and enter "C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Inventor 2012\Bin\Inventor.exe /INSTALL" (without the"")

Here is a link to the thread on thier website: Re: how to import Mechanical Desktop 2009 files in... - Page 3 - Autodesk Discussion Groups

It all had to do with the order of which things were installed. STUPID!!!
    Dogs love trucks!