585,744 active members*
3,845 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Air Blast

Air Blast

Hi Guys,

Ultimax 3 control on a BMC 20.

I notice in tool setup that there is two types of coolant, Flood and Mist, that I can set for the tool. However the machine only has one type of coolant with two pipes. I'd like if possible to rig up a programable air blast. Some programs I want to run a cutter dry and then have coolant on for perhaps a drill and tap. This is just an idea but would it be possible to run a wire from something in the control to a solenoid plumbed into an air supply. I could rig up the air line easy and just have a manually operated tap on the outside of the machine but it would be nice to have something that was programed.

Just an idea.

Should be straightforward. I'm not familiar with the max 3, but there will be a relay socket for it that may or may not be occupied, but will probably be labelled. I have the mist coolant hooked up to a solenoid for air blast on my max 2.

I've also got mist hooked up for an air blast or mist on my Max2 BMC-20. I installed two ball valves, so I can select either mist or air. I cut a lot of plastic so air works fantastic - I also do aluminum where mist is great.
    My flood isn't hooked up as I'm afraid that filling the tank will give me no end of stench. The shop is in an office building so that's a real concern!

Cheers guys,

I thought it might be fairly easy. I'll take a look in the cabinet and see if something's labelled. Nice to know someone else has done it already.

Programmable Air/Coolant Nozzle

Hi,

I realize you guys are running Hurco machines here but thought I would share a little retrofit I did on my HAAS TM-1P.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1ArxUjLy5c]Programable Coolant Air Solenoid Introduction - YouTube[/ame]

If you check out my other You Tube videos I have some other coolant and solenoid related topics.

John
    2007 HAAS TM-1P OneCNC XR5 Mill Pro. Shopbot PRT running Mach3 2010 Screen Set, Super PID and PMDX Electronics.Check out my Gallery on: http://[email protected]

Thanks for that John, I'm very impressed with your setup. Could you possibly give me details on the timers you used. I'd love to try and do something similar.

Timer Schematic

Hi,

Attached is a schematic of what I did on my HAAS 2007 TM-1P. Use at your own risk.

The approximate cost of the timer indicated on the schematic was $241.00. That part number is no longer available but I talked to a guy named Jesus and the said the replacement item was around $90.00 for the timer.

John
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Schematic Air Coolant Timer.jpg  
    2007 HAAS TM-1P OneCNC XR5 Mill Pro. Shopbot PRT running Mach3 2010 Screen Set, Super PID and PMDX Electronics.Check out my Gallery on: http://[email protected]

Thanks John.

Ok, I had a quick look in the cabinet and found a block connector on the board for the Flood coolant but not one for the Mist coolant. However there is a relay on the board for the Mist coolant. I'm confident I can do this, all i need is to find a live feed for the mist coolant. Any more ideas?