585,925 active members*
3,528 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Lathe motor Selection, Need Help

Hello I just bought a grizzly G0602 10x22 lathe. I have it set up and changing spindle speeds is a real pain with the belt setup. I would like to replace the motor and make it variable speed. It comes with a 110v 1hp motor. I have 110v and 220v single faze in my garage. Ive searched this forum about different motors but theres so much information my brain started running out my ears. I would like to know what would be the best motor choice and why. A 3 phase motor and VFD, or a DC motor and SCR drive ? I need an RPM range from 150 to 2500. I do have a 2.6 HP @130v DC treadmill motor. What would be better to use for a spindle motor AC or DC and why? What about torque and HP drop off at lower RPMs? Thanks for any help or advice the more I search this forum on motor choices the more confused I get.

Generally a DC motor has maximum torque at zero rpm and tapers down slightly at the max rated rpm.
    HP is dependent on rpm.
    If you already have a decent DC motor, one of the KB or Baldor SCR drives should work, also improved rpm control can be obtained if the motor has a tach, as most of the SCR drives mentioned have the ability to input a tach.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Thank you Al the Man. I will go with the DC motor. Is there anywhere I can get information about the difference in motor choices and when you would choose them?
    DC motor with SCR drive.
    AC motor with VFD.

I dont know of any site that does a comparison, but in general, any motor other than stepper has to have some kind of feed back to accurately control rpm, whether by simple monitoring current or as in a VFD by sensorless vector, the VFD without pulse generator or encoder loses accurate control at lower rpm.
    I have used DC servo's as spindle motors as they generally have tach feed back on them which gives accurate control down to really low rpm.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.