584,841 active members*
4,740 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > Bending, Forging, Extrusion... > Bending rectangle aluminium bar

Bending rectangle aluminium bar

I need to bend rectangle aluminium bar around 5x40mm like this:

to have 45 degree turns like this:

Total lenght would be around 500mm. I will need to do many of these and the measurements could vary only few millimeters.

Is it possible to do this with DIY equipment?

I know that I have seen articles about DIY hydraulic press brakes that might be able to do such bends. I'm not sure that I can direct you to a specific article, but perhaps a google search on DIY hydraulic press brake may bring something up.

My impression is that it may be difficult to handle the "measurements varying by only a few millimeters" part with a DIY setup, however I expect that if you can assemble purpose-built fixtures for making that specific part rather than dealing with an adjustable setup, you might have a better chance for success.

Also note that some aluminum alloys such as 6061 are prone to cracking when they are bent, while others such as 5052 are more forgiving.

Yes I was thinking to build something made for that purpose since it's the only shape I need.

I need to use aluminium that anodize well. What would you suggest?

Aluminum Bending

You can bend 6063 extruded aluminum bar fairly easy but 6061-t6 is a structural grade and will crack . You bend with a male brake die that has a R of at least 2 times the thickness. A good place to buy some aluminum bar is www.speedymetals.com but they dont carry metric sizes.Hubert

There is a table labeled Effects of Anodizing Different Alloys of Aluminum within the following page:

Anodizing Aluminum at Home

I am not sure of the actual source for that table, so I'm not sure how reliable it may be. It does cover 6063 and 6061 alloys, but does not cover 5052.

Aluminum

I'm pretty sure you could buy 6061 and send it out to the heat treaters and have it annealed to the "O" condition it will form very easily then send it back to have it re hardened if this is an option and in the budget. -Chris-

Formable Aluminum

The easiest and cheapest way may be to buy some samples from McMaster-Carr or other supplier and test form them. I still think you wont find any 5mm x 40mm bar but 3/16" sheet is close to 5mm and you could shear it to 40mm wide.
    Try this .....McMaster-Carr

Try the 3003 or 5052 alloys for good formability.