584,817 active members*
4,754 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Need help with GCC LaserPro software PLEASE!

Our company aquired a used but working condition LaserPro explorer which did not include any software at all. We were told that all we needed was the drivers and that we would be good to go using Coreldraw. After several hours on the phone with GCC tech support we cannot get the drivers installed successfully. We keep getting a "No machine connected" msg when the setup is started. We are using a windows 7 32bit laptop PC and have tried every usb port which we know work with other devices. Also checked the usb cord and it does work. GCC basically gave up and said sorry better luck next time. We are not convinced this cant be fixed, but who knows. Thanks for any suggestions or tips! -Jason

Printer Port

Do you have PC with an old fashioned parallel port? My GCC Mercury runs only from one of these, having no USB connector. The Explorer is of similar vintage and should have a similar connection setup. Might be worth a try.

What oldengraver said , + use an Xp or XP Pro machine. Explorers have USB ports that do work tho.
    You need to completely delete all stuff old installations of the drivers might have left behind to do a good install.
    I have 3 explorers and have copies of all the firmare and various driver versions + maintenance and user manual if you need em , just mail me at [email protected]

Thanks for the replies, we dont have any computers with parallel ports or even windows XP. I guess I'll keep trying to get the usb to work but worst case scenario I may have to pick up a cheap used computer that will be easier to get hooked up.

Win7

I'm running my Mercury from Windows 7 through the parallel port. No problems so far. I hoped Rodney would jump in as he has far more knowledge and experience with GCC than I do.

Does the laser actually boot up and go thru its self test etc when you switch the power on? Check that the RAM in the motherboard is seated correctly as well. There is a diagnostic mode you can get into to check the machine
    Turn your machine off and Hold the Auto Focus while turning it on. When it intializes it will allow you to test ram , motors , laser etc.

You can also try this , in your printer property settings , under advanced you can see if either of these settings work , 1) uncheck spool and check print directly to printer and then maybe 2) check spool and check "start p[rinting immediately"
    Does the driver actually install ? Im pretty sure , tho I'm rusty , you dont need the machine connected to install it?

Well, everything seems to be fine with the machine itself. GCC says that the printer ports on my computer are messed up because no ports show uo when you go to "add a printer". They think there is a problem with windows so I'm looking for a diff computer to use. This crap gives me a headache! Thanks for a feedback everyone.