584,802 active members*
4,926 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > Okuma ESV4020 Tool Change Hang Up

Okuma ESV4020 Tool Change Hang Up

While machining some parts this morning the machine tried to tool change, it placed the tool in the magazine, and refused to move after. It would clamp and unclamp, but that's it. I hit reset, and managed to get the spindle up (leaving the tool in the magazine).

Upon inspection I found the alignment key was bent upwards. I replaced it with an alignment key from another pot and the tool sits perfectly again.

My problem now is I can't get the magazine to retract or index. It is currently stuck open, under the spindle. I have tried using Interlock Release and Advancing, Reversing steps and restarting cycles, but nothing works. At the moment the ATC says it's on SEQ 010 and won't move back to SEQ 001.

If anyone can help, please post. I can give more details if you need, just ask (I'm not sure what else is needed). I'm not really getting alarms (unless I try to move X and Y axis).

Here's a picture of the machine:

Here's a picture of the controller:

And to give you an idea of what the machine looks like right now, pause this video at 0:07-0:08 after the tool is released from the spindle and before the next tool is loaded:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJCtrwiKsDI&feature=related"]Tool Change - YouTube[/ame]

Thanks,

William

You appear to have gotten yourself "stuck" in the tool change cycle. This can happen easily by losing spindle orientation during a tool change cycle. This prevents it from going forward or backward since it does not see the orientation and does not want to try to change tools without it.

At this point you will probably need to force the tool change cycle numbers in your system parameters. NOTE: BE CAREFUL! You will need to find the tool changer sequence in your maintenance manual and probably remove the tool under the spindle for safety's sake.

Then you can SET the sequence number to the correct sequence number to get you to a recovered sequence such as 1 (ready). Use caution as when you SET the number, I/O will change to the appropriate settings for that sequence. If in doubt, call your Rep and have them show you how to do it.

If you can get back to the seqence 1 with the ready, It should step thru properly from that point.

Best regards,

Here's works on my Okuma.
    Turn the machine off.
    Turn back on.
    Go to manual and push the black button on the upper left side of the control(magazine retract) and at the same time push the interlock release button on the lower right side of the control(atc operations area). You may need to push a few times.
    This should bleed the air from the atc cylinder and it will retract.
    Then do a tool change without a tool in the spindle.

George

George and OkumaWiz,

Thank you very much for your replies.

George:
    I had tried using the MG. RETRACT button with the INTERLOCK RELEASE before, and again now, unfortunately it didn't work.

OkumaWiz,
    I've left our Rep a message and I'm hoping he will get back to me. I never thought about it but I think it definitely had to do with losing the orientation. I tried to re-orient it in this state but MDI isn't overriding the system. I'm going to go through the Maintenance manual as you said and look for information.

Thanks Again,

William

Update

I found the "MACHINE DIAGNOSIS" and found two pages:

*ATC SEQUENCE*
    Spindle orientation is not completed.

*MAGAZINE*
    ATC cycle is not Sequence 1.

I found the steps and sequence numbers in our operation manual, but can't figure out how to force change it in the machine using the parameters. Any ideas?

So, you can not do the 1 step forward or backward?

Here is a VERY INAPPROPRIATE way that I have solved this.

*FOR ENTERTAINMENT ONLY*

NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR INJURIES

If you haven't, turn power off.

See if you can push the changer back into the retract position. You may need to open the access on the back of the enclosure and manually operate the solenoid to release air out of the line.

Once you can do this, make sure E-stop is pressed, turn power on while holding the magazine back in the retract position. Make sure you are holding it with your hand away from any pinch points.

Once power is on and all is up, pop the E-stop and reset/power on. It should hold back after that. If it pushes back out, don't hurt yourself over it.

I have done this a few times. A couple times some fool forgot to turn on the air compressor and got stuck mid tool change cycle. It won't let me simply forward or back, so I power off, shove the magazine back and power on. It works for me, but this is a cadet mate 4020 with osp-700m

Oh yes..... then of course use caution. you may have to 1 step forth or back to get operational. pay attention to what tool is suppose to be in the spindle, if any

Annoying,

Thanks for the tips. I've tried pushing the magazine back but it had no effect. There was a little give but then it just moves back to the original position. I removed the read access panel but can't find any "bleed" valve for the solenoid. I disconnected the air supply but that had no effect. As far as the solenoid goes, there appears to be two air lines, one on each end, but I have no idea how to bleed to air from it.

Thanks,

William

FIXED

Alright, I managed to fix it! Here's how I did it:

Parameters
    -SEARCH
    -WRITE
    -8. MACHINE PARAMETERS
    -WRITE

MC SYSTEM PARAMETERS
    -SET
    -1 (Active)
    -WRITE

-Page Down until MC SYSTEM PARAMETER No. 2
    -ATC SEQUENCE NUMBER
    -SET
    -__ (Whatever sequence number you need, I used 11 to retract the magazine)
    -WRITE

MANUAL
    - 1 Step Advance

All is working good now! Thanks so much to everyone's recommendations and thoughts, it was all extremely appreciated. Hopefully this will help someone someday to avoid the headache I had.

Regards,

William

Re: Okuma ESV4020 Tool Change Hang Up

Extremely useful information. This saved me yesterday when Gosiger couldn't. Thanks for posting.

Re: FIXED

Hi can you please be more specific please.
    which parameters change?

Parameters
    -SEARCH
    -WRITE
    -8. MACHINE PARAMETERS
    -WRITE

MC SYSTEM PARAMETERS
    -SET
    -1 (Active)
    -WRITE

-Page Down until MC SYSTEM PARAMETER No. 2
    -ATC SEQUENCE NUMBER
    -SET
    -__ (Whatever sequence number you need, I used 11 to retract the magazine)
    -WRITE

MANUAL
    - 1 Step Advance

All is working good now! Thanks so much to everyone's recommendations and thoughts, it was all extremely appreciated. Hopefully this will help someone someday to avoid the headache I had.

Regards,

William[/QUOTE]

hello, you should know the "sequences list" for a tool change procedure, from the manual i suppose / dealer ?

after, you should figure it out at what sequence number your cnc stopped, and go forward / backward from it

procedure for going forward / back is described by mr Blink i will compress all that infos :

parameters
    ... machine parameters
    ... mc sys parameters : input 1 ( active )
    ... mc sys parameters no 2 : atc sequence number : input * ( *= desired sequence from "sequences list" )

manual
    ... 1 step advance

so :
    ... find that tool change sequences list; if there is no way to find it, than maybe there is somebody with a same machine as yours, and so, upload a photo with your current changing status, and maybe there is a chance to have a reply about relative sequence number that you might need
    ... continue from a random sequence, as mr Blink said
    ... input = set + string + write / enter

i think you can acces the parameters for your machine, or am i wrong ? if so, it should be easy ... kindly !
    Ladyhawke - My Delirium, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_bFO1SNRZg

one more thing, just like mr Wizard said, and also others in this thread :

Quote Originally Posted by OkumaWiz View Post
    ... remove the tool under the spindle for safety's sake.
    maybe you should be carefull at this behaviour from a newer machine, so maybe not your case : if you are 100% sure that you are and must continue from sequence *, in reality it may not work if spindle orientation and clamping status is not how it should be; for example, if machine stopped after tool was unclamped, and there is some manual intervention during this tool change procedure, like clamping the tool back, you may not continue with next tool change steps, because machine status is not how it should be

is something like being at a specific sequence + machine status

maybe the sequence described by mr Blink does just that, so the parameters procedure also ( tries to ) restore machine status

Quote Originally Posted by deadlykitten View Post
    one more thing, just like mr Wizard said, and also others in this thread :

maybe you should be carefull at this behaviour from a newer machine, so maybe not your case : if you are 100% sure that you are and must continue from sequence *, in reality it may not work if spindle orientation and clamping status is not how it should be; for example, if machine stopped after tool was unclamped, and there is some manual intervention during this tool change procedure, like clamping the tool back, you may not continue with next tool change steps, because machine status is not how it should be

is something like being at a specific sequence + machine status

maybe the sequence described by mr Blink does just that, so the parameters procedure also ( tries to ) restore machine status
    You just discribe my problem, J remove tool and got it back again, now when J do all that with parametaras and set some sequence before and get back in ATC condition when J press 1 step advance it goes cycle run, but without any movement, and after a few minutes it alarm 3705 goes on.
    In machine diagnosis
    15107 Spindle index is not complete
    15789 Spindle tool UNIXIST LS differ ACT TOOL No. in condition

Quote Originally Posted by SasaMilojkovic View Post
    You just discribe my problem, J remove tool and got it back again, now when J do all that with parametaras and set some sequence before and get back in ATC condition when J press 1 step advance it goes cycle run, but without any movement, and after a few minutes it alarm 3705 goes on.
    In machine diagnosis
    15107 Spindle index is not complete
    15789 Spindle tool UNIXIST LS differ ACT TOOL No. in condition
    J didn't say model od the machine is Okuma MX45VA OSP U10M

hello sasamilojkovic, when i experienced the case of not being able to continue during an atc sequence, it was because, after manual intervention for changing the tool, the tool was not in proper position, and the hidraulic unit alarmed out, because it was pumping for too much time; as a result, a protection switch, inside the electrical cabinet, needed to be pushed back

but, about your case, i am sorry, i can not help / kindly

I'm no stranger to resetting the ATC on these machines (operator accidentally hits the E-stop during a tool change, etc), so I'm familiar with going into the parameters and walking it through.

But all of a sudden, my machine gets always stuck on sequence 5, (magazine advances to spindle)

After the 3-minute alarm comes up, the diagnostic screen says "15703 Magazine Advance LS is not ON"

So my guess is that either the limit switch has gone bad, or it somehow lost its position. Any thoughts?

hi, i found this inside manuals : something seems to be stucked, or reacting too slow; i am sorry, i can't help any futher / kindly

Code:
    Spindle tool outside cylinder unclamp LS is not OFF.

Spindle tool UNCLAMP LS is not OFF (out side cylinder).

During ATC operation, the spindle tool outer cylinder unclamp LS remains ON at the timing
                          the spindle tool outer cylinder unclamp LS should come OFF.

HI BRO!

I HOPE ALL IS WELL AT YOUR SIDE, MY OKUMA MILL IS STUCK WITH 2715 WRONT T COMMAND 2 AND IN THE MACHINE DIAGNOSIS PAGE ITS SHOWING (15418 ATC SEQUENCE IS IN SPINDLE ROTATION INHIBIT) AND THE TOOL POT IS STUCK FACING TOWARDS DOWN SIDE. CAN YOU PLEASE SUGGEST HOW TO MANAGE THIS ISSUE.

REGARDS SUNIL