585,728 active members*
5,060 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Visual Mill > Machining templates

Machining templates

hi Flks,

I'm a long time Pro/MFG user working in a new ocmpany that has VisualMill (V6.0).

Obviously I'm missing a lot of the functionality that Pro/MFG had, but I'm really missing the template feature. Is there an equivalent feature in VM that allows to you bring in machining strategies from previous parts to apply to new parts independently?

Any pointers greatly received.

Cheers,

Steven

There is a machining knowledge database, where you can save machining strategies and use them again. Not sure if that is what you are looking for.

Hey Magnum

Thanks for the reply. I'll take a look, how would you say VM compares MasterCam of Pro/MFG for flexibility etc? I would really like to stick with Pro/M if I could but would need to make a big case for it.

Quote Originally Posted by sdibbers View Post
    Hey Magnum

Thanks for the reply. I'll take a look, how would you say VM compares MasterCam of Pro/MFG for flexibility etc? I would really like to stick with Pro/M if I could but would need to make a big case for it.

I use WF5 (at work) but have never used the Pro/MFG module and I have never used Mastercam so can't give you any comparison.

If you get a chance to try Pro/M give a go. I have used it for about 13 years and I have to say it's a nice piece of kit. Especially in an iterative prototyping environment. The parametric features are great for dealing with changes in files. No need to reprogram from scratch most times you just regen and post a new NC file. I think I'm going to keep pushing them.

Thanks again for your replies.

Steven

Quote Originally Posted by sdibbers View Post
    If you get a chance to try Pro/M give a go. I have used it for about 13 years and I have to say it's a nice piece of kit. Especially in an iterative prototyping environment. The parametric features are great for dealing with changes in files. No need to reprogram from scratch most times you just regen and post a new NC file. I think I'm going to keep pushing them.

Thanks again for your replies.

Steven
    Just to clarify. I have access to it at work just have no need for it at the moment. I use VisualMill and SprutCam for my machining.

My current company has visual mill 6 basic.

I have used Mastercam before, and there is no comparison of visual mill-basic to Mastercam. It makes visual mill look like only something a hobbyist would use. It also depends on what you are doin with it. If you are a budget concious company that does simple work, then visual mill-basic is for you, but if you have to do a lot of 3d machining, or multi-axis machining, then (again i have only used visual mill, mastercam, and tried InventorCAM) Visual mill is not the best option. For what we can get visual mill pro for, i can get the other two for about $2000 to $3000 more, and it has a ton more features.

You defenately get what you pay for.

P.S. Visual mill defenately beats out programing by hand!
    Dogs love trucks!

Quote Originally Posted by KS Cowboy View Post
    My current company has visual mill 6 basic.

I have used Mastercam before, and there is no comparison of visual mill-basic to Mastercam. It makes visual mill look like only something a hobbyist would use. It also depends on what you are doin with it. If you are a budget concious company that does simple work, then visual mill-basic is for you, but if you have to do a lot of 3d machining, or multi-axis machining, then (again i have only used visual mill, mastercam, and tried InventorCAM) Visual mill is not the best option. For what we can get visual mill pro for, i can get the other two for about $2000 to $3000 more, and it has a ton more features.

You defenately get what you pay for.

P.S. Visual mill defenately beats out programing by hand!
    That's kinda like comparing a Ferrari to a Corvette. They are both very nice and will more than meet your needs. But they are intended for different markets. So is VisualMill. More towards the hobby/small business market.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum164 View Post
    That's kinda like comparing a Ferrari to a Corvette. They are both very nice and will more than meet your needs. But they are intended for different markets. So is VisualMill. More towards the hobby/small business market.
    Yes, but no at the same time. When you look at writing your programs by hand, yes ferrari to corvette is right, but when you compare them to each other its like takin a Dodge viper and comparing it to a dodge neon.

All of the things, minus the 4 and 5 axis machining, that are in the pro version of visual mill are in the level 1 package for mastercam.

One thing that i'd recommend is taking and calling various cam companies and demo their software.

Also, what cad software are you using? If you are using Solid works or autodesk Inventor, then there are some companies that have cad software that is integrated into the cad program. I know that mastercam, visual mill, and solid cam have that for solid works, and there is Inventorcam for inventor (i heard, when i tested visualXPORT for inventor, that mecsoft might be comin out with something like that for inventor in the next several years). I tried inventor cam, and i liked it.
    Dogs love trucks!

Well, I broke my own rule trying to talk logic on internet forums. I analyze software packages for my day job and have to make unbiased recommendations. That is why i used the Corvette to Ferrari, as they are both very nice cars. Your comparison shows that you are letting your personal preference to Mastercam drive your opinion. I have had to make recomendation's on software i personally hated, but it was the right fit for the company and job (and hear about it every day).

What CAD programs do I use? I use well over 5 different CAD packages (Rhino3D,Alibre, Wildfire, Catia, Unigraphics, AutoCAD and more). For my home use I use Rhino3D and Alibre. And for the same reason I have two CAD programs I have two CAM packages as well. SprutCAM and VisualMIll. Every program has its merits and strong/weak points.

My decision for CAM was deliberate for selecting one that was independent of the CAD package. I can't tie my hands with one CAD/CAM solution since I have access to so many CAD packages it just made since.

When analyzing software, you can easily start at the budget and eliminate any software above that amount you are willing to budget/spend. MasterCAM/GibbsCAM and several others exceeded that for me and therefor where never in contention for selection

Quote Originally Posted by KS Cowboy View Post
    Yes, but no at the same time. When you look at writing your programs by hand, yes ferrari to corvette is right, but when you compare them to each other its like takin a Dodge viper and comparing it to a dodge neon.

All of the things, minus the 4 and 5 axis machining, that are in the pro version of visual mill are in the level 1 package for mastercam.

One thing that i'd recommend is taking and calling various cam companies and demo their software.

Also, what cad software are you using? If you are using Solid works or autodesk Inventor, then there are some companies that have cad software that is integrated into the cad program. I know that mastercam, visual mill, and solid cam have that for solid works, and there is Inventorcam for inventor (i heard, when i tested visualXPORT for inventor, that mecsoft might be comin out with something like that for inventor in the next several years). I tried inventor cam, and i liked it.

I agree with Magnum
    I have SolidWorks and VM6 Pro and I would NEVER consider having them integrated for my use as a custom job shop. Integrated is fine for people that do only there own design and machine.
    I never use cad on simple parts, just toss a few lines and points into VM and make Mops.
    For most of my other work I find it as much quicker to do 2.5d from a dxf than from a solid.
    Customer files open a whole nother can of worms.
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

Quote Originally Posted by DareBee View Post
    I agree with Magnum
    I have SolidWorks and VM6 Pro and I would NEVER consider having them integrated for my use as a custom job shop.
    The VisualMill for solidworks license also includes a stand alone license. Just sayin...

Quote Originally Posted by BanduraMaker View Post
    The VisualMill for solidworks license also includes a stand alone license. Just sayin...

Only if you buy the PRO/DUO for multiple users, if I understand correctly. It is not a standard feature.

I have the direct import add in and am quite happy with that.
    Like I said earlier, 95% of the time I export a 2d dxf for use in VM because it is much faster to make mops from.
    www.integratedmechanical.ca