585,761 active members*
4,164 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 11 of 14 910111213
    Found a house finally! Offer was accepted last night.

The new 'compound' has tons of space and best of all a huge heated workshop! 8 car garage 2 wide 4 deep. I've moved out of my rented 175 sq ft. rented shop. Had to 'widen' the door a bit to get the beast out. I decided against taking it apart and sacrificed the wall instead.

Can't wait to setup an awesome shop with tons of room for all my toys and tools.

Andrew

All good and congrats.
    Wood neophyte.

It's less than a week and I close on a new place with a large heated shop. Machine is going to have a new home.

Starting to plan the layout of the shop which is fun but packing is not.

Andrew

Moved into my new shop today. Lots more space. Its a good thing considering all the junk I've got. Machine move will come later this week or next.

Machine now in it's final resting place in the new shop.

Over the weekend I wired the shop for 240 and got everything ready to go for when my new single phase VFD arrives.

Almost ready to make chips again.

There's nothing like getting a bigger shop. Until you fill it up and need another bigger shop ...
    CarveOne
    http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

I have 2 other buildings for the shop overflow once it fills up.

Ok, there's nothing like already having excessive expansion capacity.
    CarveOne
    http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

Re: Canuck's HD Metal Monster

The beast is finally online again.

I had to wire the new shop for the machine and then buy another VFD setup to run on 1 phase vs the 3 phase one I already had.

I'm now in the process of drawing up some molds and hopefully will be making chips next week. I have a trade show coming up in May and hope to have some proto molds to show off at the show.

Andrew

Do post some more of those molds when you get them made, Id like to see those!!

Spent the weekend at the Denver mini maker faire. I had a booth showing off some molds I made on the machine. I met quite a few cnczone users. Apparently my machine is more famous than I am. I had several people recognise the machine from this build thread.

I'll post some mold details later.

Andrew

Upgraded my belt reduction setup on the x-axis from 2:1 to 3.2:1. Should make it easier to tune the servos as I was having issues with a velocity oscillation at constant x-axis movements.

Andrew

It's been a while since I posted here. I've been busy all summer with my new old house repair jobs and haven't had much time to make things with the machine. I am slowly getting the shop setup.

The last 3 day I did get one job done.

I needed a new carbon wing joiner for my well used RC F3F Slope racer. I had a hard landing last year at 11,000 ASL flying in 40+mph winds on a 4,000 foot mountain slope. Long store short I broke the 14" x 0.5" x 2" hollow carbon joiner again!

Time to make a mold and save some cash in the long term.

I broke out some left over Mic6 cast plate and carved out a female mold.

I did the roughing passes at 15Krpm, 150ipm with a carbide 2f 0.25" end mill taking about 0.020" per pass. Finishing passes were done with 0.25" ball mill carbide. Final refinishing was done with a 1/8" ball mill to clean up the inner pocket corners.

The machine did pretty well. I had some minor chatter with a longer end mill. I switched over to a stub one and the chatter went away.

Lots of pictures on my Facebook - Canuck Engineering page: https://www.facebook.com/Canuck.Engineer

Andrew
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2014-08-26 21.52.33.jpg   2014-08-26 21.46.15.jpg  

First joiner out of the mold. Looks to be almost perfect. I'll have to flight test to know for sure. It fits well.

Saw that on FB, looks great, and seems the machine does aluminum quite well.
    Wood neophyte.

Splitting hairs this afternoon.

I upped the step rate per inch on the x and y axis of my CNC to over 10,000 ( or 0.0001"/step) and am still able to hit min. rapids of 1,000 ipm. I still have lots of headroom if I want to up the data rates and steps/inch even higher. I'm seeing much better positional accuracy as the servo loops have more data to work with.

I'm getting ready to cut some very expensive RenShape material for a customer for some master plugs for production molds of a big composite project. This will be the biggest test to date for the machine.

Andrew

First time cutting RenShape 460.

So far so good. I hope I don't mess it up as this stuff is pretty pricy. Customer supplied the material so I'm being extra careful.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2015-03-30 20.08.30.jpg  

Good luck. I know that feeling of expensive customer supplied material.

If you set your machine using a home switch then you can restart at the same point if you get a power loss.

I had the power fail on me for the first time in years recently while using customer supplied material but luckily in this case the material was plywood.

The machine I was using at the time did not have limit switches but I had a standard start point and after realignment the cut was almost perfect.

Jason

I've now cut several parts from Renshape and I really like the material. I've pushed cutting speeds as high as 450 ipm. It's nice stuff.

Andrew

the_canuck

That moving very well, there would not be too many able to run at that speed cutting reliably, you must have your Dmm servo system setup very well
    Mactec54

Page 11 of 14 910111213