584,812 active members*
5,461 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 14 of 14 4121314

Re: Canuck's HD Metal Monster

Finally machining some of what the machine was designed to do.

Machining some Renshape 440 to make some mold masters. Roughing pass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ug0214xm5t0

Machining 6061 Wing Mold - Roughing pass

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E08Iyx99zj4

Finished product.

3 Done 1 to go.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20200727_134517.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by the_canuck View Post
    Finished product.
    Nice work

You can increase the voltage to 52v if your power supplies will all balance this will give you a little more RPM I mostly run my old Dyn2 Drives at 50v just adjust the power supplies they all must be the same and in balance

The new Dyn2 drives I have them at 68v to 72v depending on what Power supply I use

Dyn4 if you want / need max performance though
    Mactec54

My rapids max out by aoftware limit at 500ipm. Fast enough for me. PS is 48V.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Update:

My router has been in pretty much in constant use the last few weeks making parts for a few different startups from fuel cells for chemistry experiments to UAV drone parts from carbon plate.

Lots of different materials I can now say my machine can cut:
    316 Stainless
    Copper
    Brass
    resin enforced graphite
    Acrylic, ABS, PP, HDPE, and Polycarb plastics
    Carbon fiber plate
    Kevlar plate
    Rohacell Foam

I have also done a ton of parts with cast AL, 6061 and Renshape tooling board lately. Every material takes some trial and error to get feeds and speeds right for my machine. It's been a great learning experience.

Machine is rock solid so far. I am thinking about getting a new spindle as the current one has a couple thousand hrs of run time now and bearings are starting to get a bit noisy.

I have the united nations of chips under the machine right now. Time for a full clean up which I need to move the machine to do. Graphite plate is so far the dirtiest material to work with. Graphite dust is nasty stuff!

I also made a vac hold down table with a 1/2" MDF top 2' x 4' that I can setup for thin sheet type jobs. It's come in handy a bunch. I bought a vac blower off amazon that works pretty well sucking straight through unmolested MDF. It held good enough to machine some 1/2" AL cast plate parts yesterday but I did have to reduce my normal 1/4" end mill depth of cut to ensure the stock didn't move. I taped the edges for extra insurance. The parts do have to have lots of surface area to hold otherwise its back to the masking tape and CA approach.

Andrew

Those moulds look great.
    Mark
    Regards,
    Mark

A few quick upgrades added to the machine.

Added a torque meter from the VFD. This will show if I'm pushing the spindle too hard.
    Added a SSR to turn AC power on to the new AC outlet when the spindle turns on. It also has a manual override switch. I plan to use it to power on/off my shop vac dust collector.
    Added an air solenoid to also turn on air to the mister when spindle turns on. This will keep the air compressor from running after the cut is complete.

With the new mods, I don't have to be so attentive to the machine when a cycle completes.

Messy wiring which I will clean up a bit but going for function over form as the wiring is inside the control box and reasonably protected.

Andrew

A few quick upgrades added to the machine.

Added a torque meter from the VFD. This will show if I'm pushing the spindle too hard.
    Added a SSR to turn AC power on to the new AC outlet when the spindle turns on. It also has a manual override switch. I plan to use it to power on/off my shop vac dust collector.
    Added an air solenoid to also turn on air to the mister when spindle turns on. This will keep the air compressor from running after the cut is complete.

With the new mods, I don't have to be so attentive to the machine when a cycle completes.

Messy wiring which I will clean up a bit but going for function over form as the wiring is inside the control box and reasonably protected.

Andrew

Can you post a link to the Torque Meter it could have some uses also for testing motors / spindles
    Mactec54

It's a built in function of the WJ200 VFD. I use setting C028 set to 02 which sets one of the analog output pins to 0-10V signal representing output torque. Page 4-90 in the VFD manual.

The meter is an analog 0 - 10VDC panel meter off Amazon for $8.

Pushing some faster cutting at bigger docs this week. Those 45 helix cutter made for AL really work as advertised.

https://youtu.be/ahHNbPtXPKs

Here's a recent project that the CNC machine came in handy for. I machined the molds for the wing joiners and joiner boxes with the CNC to help out Thinkflight and RCTestFlight's project. I also made some 3D printed parts and cut a bunch of the foam parts for them.

https://youtu.be/S-eND8-AZFI

Here's a recent project that the CNC machine came in handy for. I machined the molds for the wing joiners and joiner boxes with the CNC to help out Thinkflight and RCTestFlight's project. I also made some 3D printed parts and cut a bunch of the foam parts for them.
    What a great project :cheers:
    Mactec54

A new mold project. Cut from Tooling board.

A new mold project. Cut from Tooling board.

Merry Christmas your projects are very cool, just looking at your machine and see you have some of the oldest DMM Servos on your machine, how old is your machine now
    Mactec54

I started buying parts for the machine in 2007. Servos and drives are still going strong. I do have minor issues but its usually mechanical not electrical. Its been a pretty reliable tool for the shop.

Latest failure was I had the spindle cooling pump fail. Several thouaand hrs on a $25 chinese pump isnt horrible. Easy fix to drop in a new one.

I finally purchased a spare spindle as Im starting to hear bearing wear on the original one. Better to have a backup on the shelf for when the original fails.

Vevor.com has 2.2kw spindles really cheap. I havent checked runout yet but it looks good so far

Machine gets regular use. I put 40+ hrs on it last week. I make a ton of parts for my day job. Mostly exotic materials like solid graphite. I also machine a ton of cast acrylic.

The mold projects are side jobs for now.

Andrew

I started buying parts for the machine in 2007. Servos and drives are still going strong. I do have minor issues but its usually mechanical not electrical. Its been a pretty reliable tool for the shop.

Latest failure was I had the spindle cooling pump fail. Several thouaand hrs on a $25 chinese pump isnt horrible. Easy fix to drop in a new one.

I finally purchased a spare spindle as Im starting to hear bearing wear on the original one. Better to have a backup on the shelf for when the original fails.

Vevor.com has 2.2kw spindles really cheap. I havent checked runout yet but it looks good so far

Machine gets regular use. I put 40+ hrs on it last week. I make a ton of parts for my day job. Mostly exotic materials like solid graphite. I also machine a ton of cast acrylic.

The mold projects are side jobs for now.

Andrew

The G-Penny is the best low-cost spindle of that size
    Mactec54

Page 14 of 14 4121314