585,981 active members*
4,470 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > New Tormach with strange Zaxis noise

New Tormach with strange Zaxis noise

I just recently purchased a new Tormach 1100 series mill . I have been running some programs threw it to try to get used to Mach 3 controll software.
    I have been using Mastercam X3 to program with , this is what I use at my full time work . This is the first stepper motor machine I have ever run so I really have nothing to compare it's motor noise with .

So here is my problem ( i think) I have noticed the Z axis steeper motor becoming progressively noiser as I have been running the machine. It sounds very strange at 7 to 8 Ipm . Is this normal ?

Please take a look at my "You Tube" viedo, Thanks

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sjqH9ZTHrM&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL]MOV023 - YouTube[/ame]

I think the z-axis is usually a little louder than other axis but from what I can hear, yours does not sound right. You should just contact Tormach, they know their machine very well and will probably will tell you right away what it could be and how to fix it. Good luck and keep us posted on the development!
    Christian

Yea I plan on doing that . So far they have been very helpful with my questions .

Rmiller

Does it sound the same when you jog it?
    Does it sound the same when the feed override isn't at 190%?
    Yes it is noisier than mine when it runs. Tormach is a great place to start.
    RAD. Yes those are my initials. Idea, design, build, use. It never ends.
    PCNC1100 Series II, w/S3 upgrade, PDB, ATC & 4th's, PCNC1100 Series II, 4th

Mine makes some strange noises when moving at certain slow speeds as well.

Mine makes a very similar noise at about 7-8 IPM on the Z axis. I think it is just a harmonic noise based on the frequency of steps. It doesn't make it at 5 or 10 ipm.

I would still talk to Tormach about it just in case, but I haven't had any issues other than it is a little loud.

Yes the motor makes the sounds pretty much threw all reasonable feed ranges . I had the feed rate override at 190% (7.91 IPM) because thats was the feed in this particular program that is was the loudest at . I have noticed the noise becoming progressively louder over the last few weeks. Since I just received the mill about two weeks ago it has not been run much , I haven't cut anything on it yet . I will say that that sound is very loud ,more so than the x and y axis. Also x and y do not make the "crackling " sound . I will kept the forum posted on what Tormach says .

I've been dealing with a similar situation on my new 1100. On mine, when moving upwards at 60IPM or faster, I get a nasty noise. Here's the video I made, showiung the mill jogging at rapid speed.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKGDiZ5k_Co]Tormach PCNC-1100 with Z axis noise. - YouTube[/ame]

Working with Tormach's engineers, we found a couple of issues.

The cylinder on top of the Z stepper is the brake. Place a wood block between the head and the table to support the head. Then unbolt the brake and see if there is grease on the tab that connects the stepper to the brake. If it's dry, add a dab of heavy grease. That will reduce the noise.

My Z stepper motor was loosely bolted into place. I loosened the shaft coupler, loosened the motor to let it center itself, tightened it down, and retightened the coupler.

Lastly, I wrote a program to jog the head through full travel 100 times. I ran this program 5 times with a shot of oil added each time I ran the program. This was done to break in the Z axis ways.
    A wood block was placed on the table so that if the Z axis lost steps, it would not crash into the table.

All of these things helped reduce the noise, but it still is something of an issue. The last thing Tormach did was send me a manual crank for Z so I can crank it up and down by hand and feel for any roughness that might indicate a bad ballscrew or ballnut. I haven't gotten a chance to try this yet. It's on my to-do list.

As others have said, the Tormach will resonate when running around 10IPM. They all do that, so the solution is to not run at that feedrate.

I suggest writing a program that jogs the head up and down at different feedrates, so that you can find out when the problem happens. That will narrow down the possible causes.

Frederic

Yep sounds exactly like mine. Talked with Tormach they said the same thing you did , check for no grease at the Z axis brake connection .

Stand by for more info ....

Ok I disassembled the z axis stepper motor brake connection from the motor shaft . It had ZERO grease so I added grease, reassembled and I was amazed on how much quieter it was. Day and night difference I must say. Just hope this last and it's not something that has to be repeated .

Quote Originally Posted by hall6ppc View Post
    Ok I disassembled the z axis stepper motor brake connection from the motor shaft . It had ZERO grease so I added grease, reassembled and I was amazed on how much quieter it was. Day and night difference I must say. Just hope this last and it's not something that has to be repeated .
    I went through the same thing. Its a QC issue that Tormach needs to address. The brake assembly needs greased at assembly but its not happening. Given the very fragile nature of the wiring connection for the brake solenoid its a bad thing to have all the owners tearing into the motor. Don't ask how I know how fragile.... got a replacement under warranty (not greased ).

BTW, try 10IPM, and you'll get the max "noise" as that is the natural resonant frequency of the stepper.

I have tried the z axis motor at 7,8,9,10,11 IPM and yes around 10 is the loudest. But it's not bad on my machine now . I can live with it as is ,before with no grease, no way .

Maybe the new 3-phase steppers and drives that Tormach is usingin the recently announced Series 3 PCNC 1100 will minimize or eliminate that 10 ipm noise. From what's written on the Tormach blog it looks like motor/drive upgrade kits will fit all existing PCNC 1100s, both Series 1 and Series 2.

Mike