585,712 active members*
4,335 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Haas VF-5 Renishaw OMP-40 probe

Angry Haas VF-5 Renishaw OMP-40 probe

I have a 40 taper VF-5 with a Renishaw OMP 40 spindle probe and have been having some issues with it lately. It functions as it should, except when doing a web, pocket, or bore probe cycle. While going through these cycles, during the rapid movements, all the lights on the probe flash at once and the controller beeps until the rapid movement is done.

I can deal with lights and beeps. The thing that frustrates me is that after probing, when rapiding up to do tool change, the lights and beeps come back (yes, after the probe is shut off). To fix this, I simply run another probe cycle and return to Z home at 25% rapid and it seems to do all right. Starting to drive me nuts though so if anyone has any ideas of what could be wrong, I'm all ears.

I've tried replacing the batteries and cleaning the lenses for the optical sensors to no avail.

Thanks for looking!
    -Dave

That's bizarre. You're going to want to call Renishaw directly.

Now I'm going to have nightmares about probes coming to life and hunting humans. Thanks a lot.

Sounds like the probe is not getting the command to turn off or has turned back on. It lights up and beeps during rapid becuse the probe is that sensitive to movement.

If you have the disk for your machine look to see if it has the Renishaw probe file. If so, you can try reloading the renishaw cycles. Maybe some of the programs got corrupted somehow.

BTW, how old of a system do you have?

Home for the weekend now, but I think it's 2003 model. I got and reloaded the 9000 cycles within the last year or two (we had some other issues with probing). And yes, it is off and then about halfway back to Z home it turns on and beeps to beat all hell. The Haas dealer was baffled too.

Quote Originally Posted by haastec View Post
    Sounds like the probe is not getting the command to turn off or has turned back on. It lights up and beeps during rapid becuse the probe is that sensitive to movement.

If you have the disk for your machine look to see if it has the Renishaw probe file. If so, you can try reloading the renishaw cycles. Maybe some of the programs got corrupted somehow.

BTW, how old of a system do you have?

parts probe problem

Rich
    What is your machine SN
    what is the RENISHAW macro version?
    If you don't know how to find this information, call
    the service department at Haas automation.

It sounds like the parts probe is bad and not the macros
    Because it works good when the machine is rapiding at 25%.
    Do you have another machine with Renishaw probe, that you could swapp
    the probes.?

TX
    Ismael
    Haas service Engineer.

Is the probe a recently added/modified option or has this probe system been functioning properly until now?

Has anybody worked on or repaired the probe recently?

Get out your probe manual or download from Renishaw to double check the probe settings. When the batteries are connected the probe will go through a series of colored light sequences which represents the probe settings. Compare what sequence you see to the manual and see what that tells you.

Good luck.

Thats what I was leaning towards but didn't want to hear...

Machine SN is 40000, macro version I don't know where to look.

Thanks,
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by icamberos View Post
    Rich
    What is your machine SN
    what is the RENISHAW macro version?
    If you don't know how to find this information, call
    the service department at Haas automation.

It sounds like the parts probe is bad and not the macros
    Because it works good when the machine is rapiding at 25%.
    Do you have another machine with Renishaw probe, that you could swapp
    the probes.?

TX
    Ismael
    Haas service Engineer.

Came with the machine when new, and changed the batteries and went through the colored light sequence with Haas dealer on the phone. He told me it was correct.

Quote Originally Posted by haastec View Post
    Is the probe a recently added/modified option or has this probe system been functioning properly until now?

Has anybody worked on or repaired the probe recently?

Get out your probe manual or download from Renishaw to double check the probe settings. When the batteries are connected the probe will go through a series of colored light sequences which represents the probe settings. Compare what sequence you see to the manual and see what that tells you.

Good luck.

At this point, I would call Renishaw and see what they have to say. I have always had good luck with their tecnical support.

Keep us posted.

Will do, thanks for the help.