584,808 active members*
5,115 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 11 of 33 91011121321
    Thanks for the kind words....I will try to do a video clip to show it moving next couple of days.

I used the same neoprene coated nylon fabric for the Y axis that I had for the X-axis, only 22mil thick instead of 40 mil. The mechanism is very simple to make, took me only a few hours (plus some design time on the CAD). I used following McMaster parts:
    - Fabric (8811K117 22mil and 8811K561 40mil)
    - Aluminum tube 0.75"OD and 0.68"ID (89965K62)
    - M6 threaded rod as axle(9907A245)
    - Also 2 cheap shielded bearings 17mm OD x 6mm ID from VXB for each of the 4 tube shafts fastened with nylock nuts to the axle.

Since the tube is a tiny bit oversized for the bearings, I hammered a small crimp groove around the lower part of the tube (using a spare bearing as mandrel) so that the tube rests on the lower bearing. The fabric is attached to the tube with 2" wide Gorilla Tape and never unwinds completely, so the tape does not have to carry the tension.

I am not sure if roll-up blinds would work well, because you need to have good constant tension (I use about 5 pounds) on the curtain to guarantee it moves even when the curtain has some friction in the guides. Otherwise it would bunch up and may cause some damage. The spring forces of a real blind are probably not sufficient and changing when rolled up. It might be more work to modify than to make one from scratch.

And.....here it is. I guess I had nothing else to do tonight
    I am pretty sure I will not be nominated for an Oscar, though.

DustCoverDemo.avi - YouTube

Now, how do I get the Youtube preview show up here?

Quote Originally Posted by JerryBurks View Post
    Thanks for the video, I didn't notice that the dust cover were use on your long (X?) axis, that is just awesome. Keep us posted on how well they keep out that really fine dust.

With a good design like that you could start your own niche business. I'm seeing a few patters of people ordering 8020 to build their frame, CNC Router Parts for the linear carriages, K2 CNC for the the router holders, gecko drive, etc.. Next we could add "JerryBurks" for the roll up dust covers.

Great job!! If you get time we all love to watch the machines cut things. Maybe something bigger next time.

-C

Quote Originally Posted by Miata2k View Post
    .. Next we could add "JerryBurks" for the roll up dust covers.
    Ah, that would be something. But fortunately I have a good day job and I am not going to ruin my hobby by making it a business

For that matter, it would really be a "custom blind" type of deal. Every router is different here and the system may not be suitable (or necessary) for all types. I had my machine designed with dust protection curtains in mind which made it easy to install but it would be harder on a typical 80/20 gantry with rails and screws all out in the open.

wow! i am amazed at your build...
    and that bamboo plywood is just amazing!

just finished some woodworking with mdf core ropey cherry... i hate mdf core!!!

as for cyclone separator... how big of a unit are you planning to install?

Quote Originally Posted by kinghong1970 View Post
    ......as for cyclone separator... how big of a unit are you planning to install?.....
    I'll keep my 1-hp Harborfreight dust extractor. The outer chip container will be the 20 gal Rubbermaid ("The Brute") can and the inner fine dust collector a 5-gal "Homer" bucket. Something like that (design still needs some fine tuning):

I need to machine this carrier plate for the cyclone tubes, probably from MDF. May be a challenge....

wow... that looks like a lot of work...

takes the fun out of DIY but what about this?

it's sold by Clearvue Cyclones and seems their bigger cyclone has Bill Pentz's seal of approval... ?

i'm thinking of a mini cyclone to hook up to my future cnc router... my 1 hp DC does not have much strength imo.

Quote Originally Posted by JerryBurks View Post
    I am pretty sure I will not be nominated for an Oscar, though.

Now, how do I get the Youtube preview show up here?
    hahaha... reminds me of those rolling bus station ads...

wow... that looks like a lot of work... takes the fun out of DIY
    disagree....that is where the fun begins and, after all I have a CNC machine to cut that part.

but what about this? it's sold by Clearvue Cyclones and seems their bigger cyclone has Bill Pentz's seal of approval....
    That is probably a good system but it is not exactly cheap and only a single stage cyclone. From what I read the best single stage cyclones get 95-98% separation. I am trying to build a two-stage cyclone with outer chamber for coarse material and a 12-barrel multi-cyclone for fine dust. This is a proven concept for large industrial systems as well as the base for the original Dyson home vacuum patent.

One bit of advice, don't nest stage 2 inside stage 1 like that. Stage 1 will fill up too quickly with bulky shavings and clog. It will also be more of a pain to empty out.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by Mauser View Post
    One bit of advice, don't nest stage 2 inside stage 1 like that. Stage 1 will fill up too quickly with bulky shavings and clog. It will also be more of a pain to empty out.
    Thanks for the tip. I am weighing my options of how deep I will let the second stage hang into the outer bucket. Technically I could stack one on top of the other but will probably go for a compromise to keep it compact. I just don't have much space in my shop (a.k.a. garage). What the model does not show, is that the motor and fan are mounted vertical/flush on top of the whole thing. I may install a rope hoist to the rafters so that I can easily lift the pretty heavy motor and cyclone assembly from both buckets for emptying. Ideally I would like to get rid of the filter bag altogether and vent to to the outside (without dusting the neighborhood).

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    That is a very clean build, but I am skeptical if the tube flare really helps. A cyclone requires an opportunity for the light weight air stream to separate from the heavier dust that is flung to the walls by centrifugal force (ideally with decreasing radius like classical cone cyclones). That means an inner upward vortex is peeling off from the downward wall vortex and sucked out.

The proposed "top hat" design forces the entire air stream around the flare, keeping the air and dust longer mixed and giving less time to separate. But I am not sure. At the end there may be other effects at work and you have to try it out.

For dust management, my suggestion would be to use a single stage conventional cyclone, and then for the second stage, consider using a venturi scrubber, in particular, the rectangular configuration.

Venturi scrubber - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

These things are just amazing at removing particles and gunk from an air flow.

Quote Originally Posted by harryn View Post
    .... consider using a venturi scrubber.........
    I did not consider going that far, but since you mention it....if the gadget still lets too much dust go through I could install a mister nozzle (like for the patio) in the exhaust tubing. Obviously that is only possible if it vents to the outside where the water can drip out or the shop climate will soon be like a jungle.

Anyway, interesting idea.

More weekend work....I installed the new cooling/dust extraction air duct over the spindle and fabricated a carrier for the dust boot (the dust boot itself still needs to be done) with integrated 25 Watt LED lighting. I think I overdid that a bit but the light is now surely bright enough. My shop/garage is a pretty dark cave and a work light really helps.

Two 12V/1.1Amp LED strips mounted to a carrier and encapsulated with clear epoxy resin

I did not want to install another 12V power supply and cut the strips into 10 pieces. Wired in series with a small bridge rectifier they are now powered directly from 120 V

hahaha! those led strips are so cool!

Dust Boot Finished

I installed a kind of dust boot today (actually more an extension of the dust/cooling air duct). This is attached with magnets to the light plate which in turn is mounted with sliding rails to the Y-plate. That means I can adjust it to the level of the machined surface and it does not go up and down with the spindle. The top half is clear rigid Lexan and the lower half is clear soft 0.08" PVC.

Works pretty good with my small 1 hp Harbor Freight extractor. Few chips or dust escape, even when hanging over the edge of the lumber:

Youtube Video Here This is cutting the blanks for y and z axis hand wheels from 1.75" black walnut for 2-sided 3D machining.

Don't ask me what the white blotches on the PVC are. They came that way from McMaster and look almost like mold but I am not going to send it back.

I have one of those cooking thermometers! (Only problem is the "Low temp" Min function has never worked).

Looks good! I bet you get extra cooling of that spindle from the airflow. You couldn't do that with a regular router because all the dust would get sucked through the motor.

I have one of those cooking thermometers! (Only problem is the "Low temp" Min function has never worked).
    Just to be on the safe side....I may remove it later once I am sure the spindle temperature is O.K. under all conditions.

I bet you get extra cooling of that spindle from the airflow.
    That was the idea. Actually that is the only cooling for the spindle. I did not hook up the water hoses.

Page 11 of 33 91011121321