584,833 active members*
5,612 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 33 of 33 23313233

Re: Big Bamboo - New Machine Project Started

You make some incredible stuff Jerry! I'm really intrigued by the kinetic art table.

Quote Originally Posted by pippin88 View Post
    Are you still happy with the dust setup drawing past the spindle? EDIT: I see you changed it a little later, but the principle is still the same - dust hose to above spindle, then a duct around the spindle.

Thinking of similar
    Absolutely! The air-cooled "water-cooled spindle" still works perfectly after 8 (or is it 10?) years or so. Barely gets warm even with bigger bits and at high feed rate. No water hoses, reservoir, pump, radiator, fouling, leaks whatsoever. No noisy air-cooling fan other than the dust collector that I need anyway.
    I was tempted to improve the dust shoe at the bottom of the conduit because depending on the part to be cut it does allow larger chips to escape. But then, so far I was too lazy and it is not so bad. At least the fine dust is completely collected.
    Box Joint and Dovetail CAM software here: WWW.TAILMAKER.NET

Here is my latest project, made on the BigBamboo machine. I have been fascinated by marble machines for a long time, especially the ones that can count time like the "Idle Tyme" marble clocks of the 70's. Most such machines are complicated 3-dimensional assemblies made from many individual parts.

For this project I set out to design a much-simplified marble machine clock with fewer parts that is essentially 2-dimensional and optimized for CNC machining. Unfortunately, the clock is not really suitable for a living room because it makes quite a racket while operating.

A video of the operation (better open the video in Youtube to get the high resolution version):

Attached there are pictures of the completed machine, close-up of the seconds "hands", the back side, machining the base plate and the bearing brackets.

Took a while to design and test the functions. Actually, this is the 4th version that finally worked reliably...

SORRY, I CAN'T USE YOUTUB IN CHINA.
    Can you email me a video or photo?
    If you need mineral castings.You can contact me,I'm from China,My company has produced a lot of products, small can reach 100KG, large can do 46 tons.Linear motors

Wow...another 2 years since my last post. But anyway, my BigBamboo machine is still going strong. After 12 years total, I guess the build was worthwhile.

I am still doing projects that seem unique (to me at least) and often supported with specialized software that I write for the intended purpose.

My last software project is a tool to generate tool paths for flat machined dovetail and finger joints. These can be standard (perpendicular) or have compound angles, be half blind or pocketed and can do an inlayed joint as well. Looking good so far and I will publish it to my freeware collection probably in a few weeks.

Here are some pictures of a 5-sided box with finger joints and walls that are slanted 30 degrees from vertical. The pattern on the lid is a vcarve inlay made with Vectric software (demon-proof design with pentagram and horus eyes ) .

Attachment 503524

Attachment 503526

Attachment 503528

Attachment 503530

Other joint types are possible as well, but I still need to do a real project:

Attachment 503532Attachment 503534

Page 33 of 33 23313233