585,712 active members*
3,929 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: DeskCNC

Smile DeskCNC

I must say, I downloaded the Demo version build date in July 05 I think... anyway just playing around generating some "G" code to run on my old system. I'm impressed, you don't seem to need a 2 GigHZ 1 G RAM XP system to run the software or hardware. I'm a little concerned that Mach II requires the above system just to run a simple milling setup!!

Is anyone running this DeskCNC system with serial controller card, I plan on using Gecko drives, and would care to comment, before I start spending (more) money on this CNC thing? Bill G.

Quote Originally Posted by wmgeorge
    you don't seem to need a 2 GigHZ 1 G RAM XP system to run the software or hardware. I'm a little concerned that Mach II requires the above system just to run a simple milling setup!!
    A lot of people use Mach2 (and now Mach3) with 750Mhz PC's w/ 256MB RAM. With a clean install of Windows, and nothing else, that should be all you need. Although if you need the 45Khz step rate, then yes, you will need the system you mentioned.

DeskCNC will supposedly run on just about everything.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

DeskCNC Runs fine under any pentium class computer running anything from windows 98 through to XP Pro. It has some really nice programming features on board and will machine .dxf, ,.stl, gerger, open point cloud, most bitmap formats, vectorize,hpgl and will allow you to 3D digitize. No frills needed which is why we send out deskcnc with every one of our control systems and servo drive sets. It is simple to use and does not have a needlessly cluttered user interface, and as the deskcnc contoller cards get faster with new micro processor technology, you can upgrade your speed without having to upgrade your computer. Currently they run at 125 "REAL" steps per second and only require a serial connection of 115,000 baud. At present the fastest I have ever heard a parallel port software being is 65,000 sps you simply can not write to the parallel port any faster using the PC bus (so I have been told). Parallel port software is fine for stepper systems as you do not need that kind of speed but for servo systems the faster the better to achieve accuracy with speed.

All in all, a great piece of software, IMO.
    "A Helicopter Hovers Above The Ground, Kind Of Like A Brick Doesn't"
    Greetings From Down Under
    Dave Drain
    Akela Australia Pty. Ltd.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I have a DeskCnc controller set up with Gecko 201's. I'm happy with the way everything works and the simplicity of DeskCnc software. I'm currently building a new machine with servos and expect to be equally happy.
    Bert

Smile DeskCNC...

I'm assuming the software and machine will be able to move all 3 axis (4) at the same time, I'm using steppers. I'm about send in the check, I just want it to work when I get done. B.G.

Yep, all 4 Axes no problems you won't be dissapointed.

Good luck with it all.

Dave
    "A Helicopter Hovers Above The Ground, Kind Of Like A Brick Doesn't"
    Greetings From Down Under
    Dave Drain
    Akela Australia Pty. Ltd.

Thanks Dave & All, I ordered DeskCNC and the Gecko drives today. Looks like a great setup!! Bill George / Trinity Tooling.com