585,670 active members*
4,299 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Drive Error with Fagor 8055M

I keep getting Z Drive error when either stopping spindle when using manually or when starting a program when the spindle is already spinning.
    First Screen Displays: 'External Emergency Activated'
    arrow down.
    Second Screen Displays: 'Drive Error : Axis Z
    I am unable to clear either screen and only way to get out is to turn off and restart.
    The Z Axis Module displays 0.E215. Don't know what error this is.
    Any help appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chevpac1.jpg   Chevpac2.jpg  

Normally its happened caused of positioning of spindle (sensor activated) in out of travel.

Hi mzar. I've since learnt that Error 215 is Power Bus Voltage Too High (hardware)
    On further checking it appears the the Z drive errors when the motor is braking.
    The program I'm running doesn't have any Z movements at all just X and Y.

Hi...I've download Winddssetup which is the Fagor software to monitor the Z drive. Made up a 9 pin cable to connect the drive module to my PC and getting ready to connect things up.
    Any one been here before. Looking for any good advice.
    Thanks.
    BTW. I haven't studied the manual yet, I'd like to see something on the screen first.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
    Hi...I've download Winddssetup which is the Fagor software to monitor the Z drive. Made up a 9 pin cable to connect the drive module to my PC and getting ready to connect things up.
    Any one been here before. Looking for any good advice.
    Thanks.
    BTW. I haven't studied the manual yet, I'd like to see something on the screen first.

Hi, I recommend you first to monitor the PLC Program, or if you already has monitor the drive send me the error code, Or in the Lcd Number Screen in the drive it shows the actual error too,

The emergency error comes up becuse its have a loop with the drives and the cnc control, and you have problems with the drive, check the power and enconder cables if the error appears when you start the machine and enable the drives probably the encoder signal have problems, other common problem its the servo break, should be 24+ and its a PLC signal with a Relay

Hope its helps you,

Quote Originally Posted by Ed.Garza View Post
    .. or if you already has monitor the drive send me the error code...
    Hi The Error code is E215 (Power Bus Voltage Too High)
    From what I understand (layman interpretation), a voltage is generated when the motor is free spinning (power off) which should be absorbed with a ballast resister. This doesn't appear to be happening and for some reason the Z axis errors.

Depending on the on your actual machine, it is quite possible that it is just the "Counter Balance" for the Z Axis. Some machines have an Air Cylinder with it's own Air Pressure Regulator so double check the Air Pressure Setting. Too high and it could happen when you travel down, too low could happen when you travel up, but it could be the oppisite, again depending on your machine. Other machines have an actual "Counter Balance" weight, make sure it is still attached or for that matter make sure that how it is connected is well lubricated.

One thin to try just to simplifiy your trouble shooting is, in your program prior to stopping your Spindle, do an "G4K500", this will add a delay prior to stopping the spindle.

That Drive Error is usually because the Drive is trying to the oppisite of what it just was to it needs to "Disapate" the excess energy, which is typically what the metal box on the out side of the control is, Dynamic Braking Modual. Unused energy is attempted to be fed back on to the "Bus" so the other drives can utilize it, but if it doesn't get used generally it is "Dumped" onto the resistors in the Dynamic Braking Modual. If it can't do this than the drive Errors out. So assuming the Counter Balance isn't the issue, make sure that the Dynamic Braking Modual is free and clear of any metal shavings, which can short out the resistors not allowing the energy to be disapated on them.

Hope this helps. (sorry for the spelling, in a hurry)
    Motion Master 5 Axis Router.......Fagor 8055/C.......Surfcam Velocity 4.0 B189

Quote Originally Posted by Stupidav View Post
    ....Other machines have an actual "Counter Balance" weight, make sure it is still attached or for that matter make sure that how it is connected is well lubricated....

.....One thin to try just to simplifiy your trouble shooting is, in your program prior to stopping your Spindle, do an "G4K500", this will add a delay prior to stopping the spindle...

......make sure that the Dynamic Braking Modual is free and clear of any metal shavings, which can short out the resistors not allowing the energy to be disapated on them....
    The machine is a Vertical Machine Centre which has an actual counterweight which is suspended on two link chains over sprockets. I will check their condition.

I have tried using G04 with various times without success. I've also used various stepped speeds with time delays between without success.

I do feel the fault is, as you outlined in your third paragraph.

We have swapped the Z and Y Drives over and now the Error Fault is Drive Y which indicates the fault is in that Drive Unit.

Thanks for your input

If you swapped drives around and the problem followed that drive, the drive is the problem.

Do double check the counter balance, and make sure that it moves freely. Excess strain either from lack of lubrication / stiff chains or stuck Guide Sprockets, or even the lack of the counter balance, can cause this issue over time.
    Motion Master 5 Axis Router.......Fagor 8055/C.......Surfcam Velocity 4.0 B189

Quote Originally Posted by Stupidav View Post
    If you swapped drives around and the problem followed that drive, the drive is the problem..
    Before I order a new drive, has any one have any suggestions on what part of the drive may be failing.

I suppose you have already solved your problem, but the problem is that when you stop the spindle, the bus voltage increases. When it reaches one level, the ballast resistor is enabled. This should be enought to mantain the bus level low enought. But if the spindle speed was too high, or the deceleration too high, you may get this error.

You can solve it in many ways

1) Add a bigger ballast resistor (if you are using the internal one, you may add an external one)
    2) You can increase the decceleration time
    There may be more but not so usefull (acelerate another motor while breaking the spinning, for example...)

Quote Originally Posted by jzurbitu View Post
    I suppose you have already solved your problem........
    You can solve it in many ways

1) Add a bigger ballast resistor (if you are using the internal one, you may add an external one)
    2) You can increase the decceleration time
    There may be more but not so usefull (acelerate another motor while breaking the spinning, for example...)
    Thanks for your reply.
    Problem is still not solved and now have two drives (Z and Y) faulting with code E215.
    The machine does also have an external ballast resistor.
    I have altered some of the Spindle Parameters without sucess.
    P45 (OPLACETI) from 05000 to 06000
    P46 (SMOTIME) from 0000 to 0064
    P18 (ACCTIME) from 00300 to 65000

Connected laptop to Spindle Drive and monitored voltage. When volt peaked at about 700volt all OK but at higher spindle speeds the voltage would reach 760V and the machine would fault.
    Looked at altering the spindle motor parameters but need a Pass-Word to access this feature. Do you know where this info could be accquired.
    Thanks again for your help.

I will need some more information to diagnose the problem.

1) Check that the external ballast resistor is working fine (can you check if it's warm after stoping the spindle?.. If it's not, there may be a problem with the wires, the connection or the resistor)

2) If the resistor is ok and you get the overvoltage only above one level of rpms... The resistor is too small or the decelleration too high.

2.1) You can add another resistor in parallel.
    2.2) You can reduce the deceleration...
    2.2.1) ¿How do you stop. With an emergency stop or with M0 or S0M3?
    If it is an emergency stop, you should change the drive parameter SP65
    If it is not an emergency stop, i'm not sure, but i think you have to increase ACCTIME (check that it is working in the osciloscope, you may watch RIPS variable for example)

About the password, the manufacturer of the machine should tell it to you.
    The main objective of the password is that final users don't change parameters that can damage the machine. But in your case, it seems that the parameter was not well tuned by the manufacturer. (May be you have increased the inertia of the spindle adding some extra tools, or increasing the maximum speed....)

I will need some more information to diagnose the problem.

1) Check that the external ballast resistor is working fine (can you check if it's warm after stoping the spindle?.. If it's not, there may be a problem with the wires, the connection or the resistor)

2) If the resistor is ok and you get the overvoltage only above one level of rpms... The resistor is too small or the decelleration too high.

2.1) You can add another resistor in parallel.
    2.2) You can reduce the deceleration...
    2.2.1) ¿How do you stop. With an emergency stop or with M0 or S0M3?
    If it is an emergency stop, you should change the drive parameter SP65
    If it is not an emergency stop, i'm not sure, but i think you have to increase ACCTIME (check that it is working in the osciloscope, you may watch RIPS variable for example)

About the password, the manufacturer of the machine should tell it to you.
    The main objective of the password is that final users don't change parameters that can damage the machine. But in your case, it seems that the parameter was not well tuned by the manufacturer. (May be you have increased the inertia of the spindle adding some extra tools, or increasing the maximum speed....)
    1) Ballast resistor is lukewarm after stopping the spindle, so appears to be working.

2) I understand each drive has it's own resistor and the external one (the one I'm checking the temperature) is an extra.

2.2.1) All stops over 2000 rpm it faults. When run at 2000+ rpm and reduce speed by 5% from key-pad it faults. When run 6000+ and reduced by 50 rpm increments it faults, below 6000 OK. Will need to talk to an electrician re checking with osciloscope.

The spindle max. RPM is 8000 as set by the manufacture
    I am running standard ER32 collet holders. The machine will fault the same when no tooling in the spindle.
    I don't require short time accelleration/decelleration times so was prepared to alter the motor parameters. (detune the performance which I considered acceptable.)
    Thank again for your help.

1) There is only one ballast resistor. You can use the internal one (there is only one in the power supply) or the external one you are using (the internal one is smaller)
    2) The objective of that resistor is reduce the voltage of the bus. When the spindle brakes, all the energy is stored in the bus, and the voltage is increased. If the voltage is bigger than a value, then the ballast resistor is used to reduce the voltage.

If you get the fault reduccing speed from keypad you should increase the acctime parameter of the cnc (less acceleration)
    You can check if it is working in the cnc oscilloscope.
    Add "RIPS" variable (this is the speed) and "GV4.S" variable (this ¡s the voltage of the bus)

You should see that when the spindle reduces speed, the voltage increases.
    Change ACCTIME to reduce the slope until the voltage increase less than the value that creates the problem.

I don't have here a cnc, but if you cant do this, i may find one cnc to check it, and show you an image

Has the machine worked properly before?

1) There is only one ballast resistor. You can use the internal one (there is only one in the power supply) or the external one you are using (the internal one is smaller)
    2) The objective of that resistor is reduce the voltage of the bus. When the spindle brakes, all the energy is stored in the bus, and the voltage is increased. If the voltage is bigger than a value, then the ballast resistor is used to reduce the voltage.

If you get the fault reduccing speed from keypad you should increase the acctime parameter of the cnc (less acceleration)
    You can check if it is working in the cnc oscilloscope.
    Add "RIPS" variable (this is the speed) and "GV4.S" variable (this ¡s the voltage of the bus)

You should see that when the spindle reduces speed, the voltage increases.
    Change ACCTIME to reduce the slope until the voltage increase less than the value that creates the problem.

I don't have here a cnc, but if you cant do this, i may find one cnc to check it, and show you an image

Has the machine worked properly before?
    OK the machine has been running with/without the external resistor but getting the same fault.
    Not sure how to test with scope (would need help from electrician).
    Have had a laptop connected to drive which showed machine OK when voltage up to 700 volts. Voltage would peak at about 760 and machine faults.
    Have tried changing ACCTIME from 300 (factory setting) to 65000 but no improvement.
    I purchased machine brand new 2002 and machine OK until 12 months ago. Just occassional fault at first but now everytime when RPM over 2000.

......You can check if it is working in the cnc oscilloscope.
    I don't appear to have the oscilloscope feature on my machine.
    The CNC software is 07.15
    To get to the oscilloscope feature I believe the sequence is Main Menu (F7), Diagnosis (F5), Adjust (F4), Oscilloscope (F2).
    On this machine, the F4 is blank.

Ok, if you don't have the scope in the cnc, you can use the scope in the drive.

You need a laptop + RS-232 wire + WinDDSSetup.exe application.

Connect RS232 cable to spindle drive.
    Start WinDDSSetup.exe
    Connect to drive
    Go to osciloscope
    Add SV7 variable in channel 1 (Speed reference)
    Add GV4 variable in channel 2 (Bus voltage).

In trigger select 2000 rpm, channel1.
    And press start
    S1000 M3
    S0 M3
    and you osciloscope should capture the braking slope.
    Calculate the slope (the time to go from G00 to 0 rpm should be ACCTIME)
    So you can calculate the time from 1000 rpm to 0.
    Then increase ACCTIME (for example double it), and repeat S1000M3->S0M3
    Now time should be twice. And Bus voltage should increase slower.

Play with ACCTIME until you find the right value...

BUT YOU SHOULD SEE A CHANGE IN THE SLOPE FOR ANY CHANGE IN ACCTIME.
    IF NOT, ACCTIME CHANGES ARE NOT WORKING, AND THATS WHY YOU CANT SOLVE YOUR PROBLEM CHANGING ACCTIME.

I'm almost sure that changing ACCTIME your problem should be solved.

.....Play with ACCTIME until you find the right value...

BUT YOU SHOULD SEE A CHANGE IN THE SLOPE FOR ANY CHANGE IN ACCTIME.
    IF NOT, ACCTIME CHANGES ARE NOT WORKING, AND THATS WHY YOU CANT SOLVE YOUR PROBLEM CHANGING ACCTIME.

I'm almost sure that changing ACCTIME your problem should be solved.
    Sorry for delay in answering, electrian friend out of town.
    Changed ACCTIME value but this did not alter the osciloscope graph as if this feature is not working.

Also went into the Spindle Motor parameters and changed "Emergency Acceleration" setting from factory of 200 to 100 then 50.
    This altered the voltage output but there must have been a conflict with another setting as the spindle motor would 'groan' while winding down.

I'll ask about ACCTIME not working... I suppose that maybe that's not the right parameter to change. For axes it is that for sure, but i'm not sure for spindle.

But to solve your problem you have to reduce the decceleration or increase power of the ballast resistor.

Page 1 of 2 12