585,761 active members*
4,185 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Stepper driver board

Hi guys
    I'm part way though a small CNC project that I started so I could learn a bit more about the process. I've played with computers, lathes and mills over the years so now I want to learn to combine them. I joined the Perth Artifactory as I don't have a home work shop, the guys here are good but I like to get info from a range of sources before I filter this and see what makes sence to me.

I started to build my version of a 3D printer, I got side tracked while using the CNC router to cut some of the pieces for my printer... I've now decided to make it into a light duty router so I can learn the procee before I start on a full size version.

Can anyone recomend a cheap simple driver setup that runs from USB? I'll be using vcarve generated files and Mach3. I'm ok with the hardware side of things but could do with a bit of help selecting the right electronics...

I'm sure there will be many more questions so thanks in advance.

Dave

Hi there 4lowie,
    Only because I use this, I am of course biased in my opinion at least to the electronics, you could look at a local G540 unit for driving your stepper motors, you can get your breakout board if you need one, wiring, switches, and steppers at the same place. Mach3 will output step and direction signals via a printer port so you may need to get your local computer 'fixit' shop to wack one into you're pc for you and then if Mach is installed already, re-install it so that the printer port is recognized by Mach and configured. Don't think about using a laptop for output signals, 'cause the voltage levels vary too much for 1/0 logic. There are USB 'thingies' out there also, but cost $$ and may or may not be what you need. CNC is an endless money pit. Think of the dollars needed, compared to what you want to achieve. I used to wish I had the budget of NASA. I think their budget's been slashed, but I could still find a use for the few bucks they're getting now I'm sure of it, in fact I think I've spent it already, but I do have a warm feeling about it I reckon, I think... No, I'm sure... ah.. yeah.. well, I'm pretty sure anyway.
    Just funnin', onya and go for it, have fun.
    Cheers :-)

I would suggest forgetting USB for now and get an older PC with a parallel port, it will be easier to get your first machine built and configured that way.

And assuming your PC has both parallel and USB, you can buy the additional hardware at some later time if you really want to switch from parallel to USB.

Surprisingly enough, parallel is faster and better as the PC can directly drive all the axis drivers (step/dir) instantly and directly, rather than pass a chain of serial commands and protocols down through a number of ICs that eventually have to interpret that back into... step/dir pulses.

Try these parts

Quote Originally Posted by 4lowie View Post
    Hi guys
    I'm part way though a small CNC project that I started so I could learn a bit more about the process. I've played with computers, lathes and mills over the years so now I want to learn to combine them. I joined the Perth Artifactory as I don't have a home work shop, the guys here are good but I like to get info from a range of sources before I filter this and see what makes sence to me.

I started to build my version of a 3D printer, I got side tracked while using the CNC router to cut some of the pieces for my printer... I've now decided to make it into a light duty router so I can learn the procee before I start on a full size version.

Can anyone recomend a cheap simple driver setup that runs from USB? I'll be using vcarve generated files and Mach3. I'm ok with the hardware side of things but could do with a bit of help selecting the right electronics...

I'm sure there will be many more questions so thanks in advance.

Dave

You will need a power supply and stepper driver to make the steppers go.
    Also, either a parallel port breakout board to drive from the parallel port
    - or a microcontroller to generate the pulses for the stepper driver.
    http://www.homanndesigns.com/store/i..._info&cPath=22
    &products_id=59

.. Does your laptop have a parallel port or USB only? - if it has usb only,
    you will need a "smooth stepper" board.
    http://www.homanndesigns.com/store/i..._info&cPath=20
    &products_id=51
    &products_id=52
    &products_id=113

psu..
    http://www.homanndesigns.com/store/i..._info&cPath=26
    &products_id=82

The above links should cover most things i can think of..