584,858 active members*
4,783 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Boss keeps tripping out on start up

Hi

My Boss 6 series 1 keeps on tripping out on start up, it's currently wired through MCB breaker things and this is what keeps tripping. My guess is it needs a bigger amperage rating for the breakers but I'm unsure now far to go.

Any help appreciated.

Chris

What voltage is going to the machine?
    What is a MCB breaker?

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Hi

We are on standard UK 3 phase voltage so 400v-415v ish I think.

Miniature circuit breakers (MCBs) are fitted in newer consumer units in place of fuses. They have the advantage that they can be manually reset without having to replace wire as in the case of the traditional fuse. The MCBs have either a button or lever that can be flicked to reset it.

The MCB tripping is an indication either that the circuit has been overloaded or that a short circuit has occurred somewhere in the system.

Thanks

Chris

Per the BPT maintenance manual, on this side of the pond, the 230 VAC version would be protected by a 20 amp device per phase. The 460 volt needs 10 amp protection.
    Note that inside the machine are 3 fuses that are of the time delay variety because of the surge current of the spindle motor. Usually a circuit breaker device needs to have a higher rating as to not to react to the surge.
    Then again, you may have a problem somewhere.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thanks George I'll try a 10 amp one.