585,581 active members*
4,047 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Looking for a nice gantry

For quite a time I have been looking for a CNC Gantry machine with a working area of more or less 1000 x 600 x 400 mm. I want something stable to be able to mill mainly PU block-foams other plastics and sometimes aluminium at high speed. The high Z is important (400 mm). Servo drives and ball-screw transmission if possible. Who's got a good suggestion? China made could be ok.

CNC STEP Netherlands

Bashidap,
    Not sure of your budget, but check out CNC STEP (Heiz). German machines very popular in Europe and extremely affordable given the quality. They have a reseller in Holland. Especially check out the Raptor-X AL for your purposes.

400mm is quite a long Z travel, look well before buying, possibly at the end you will have to custom make it. And even more should be considered if milling aluminum would be involved. possibly you have to be looking at fixed gantry design and square or at least round supported rails on all axes

don't fall in the trap of the aluminum extrusion designs/flex/ and empty bead designs /problem fixing the material/ (chair)

the table and gantry should be welded steel, as the ones they pointed you to. And will not be cheap too.

I'm orientating in China now, but it's always difficult to get to know exactly what you get. All the options are custom made, so no photo's or drawings availible.

Bashidap,
    How much money are you prepared to pay?
    this would be crucial on the choice and the way to do it.

Have you considered the DIY way? Even if you don't have the means you can have some body design it,sb solder it,buy the rails cut to lenght and mount them, buy the whole motor breakout board package from a reputable vendor and by doing so you will have a real support.

The support later is SUPER IMPORTANT! I have the luck to have an Romaxx CNC and believe it or not for the last 2 months we exchanged more than 30 emails

Or if you have the money just speak and convince some reputable maker to do your custom machine

With chinese machine you are definetely looking at buying new BOB and Geckos and doing minor or major fixing, in turn you get good price, good weight and good table

If you decide the DIY i can help you with the design as now i design my next very large CNC weld structure, EU steel tubing. Just send me a private message. Later we can open source the design here at the zone and receive critique and honest opinions before you decide welding it