584,837 active members*
5,380 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking > WoodWorking Topics > Home made Drum Sander
Page 14 of 14 4121314

Quote Originally Posted by Mountaincraft View Post
    Not done quite yet!
    I guess I am a little early with the congrats I have faith in you Mark..:cheers:

Lou
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-cnc-router-table-machines/140832-cnc-software.html

Looking good Mark! I will have to get around to doing something similar someday. After a bout in the hospital, and MANY redesigns, and rebuilds, I have finally finished (Successfully) the dust shoe for my CNC router table. I wanted a "Floating Head" type, which can glide over the surface of the table, while allowing the Z axis to move (without the need to lift the extra weight of the dust shoe). What looked good on the drawing board, turned out to be a real challenge to convert into reality! I will post photos probably sometime tomorrow.

More good words of encouragement Mark. I'm glad to see that it is working out for you. This one is a bunch of design and build work.
    CarveOne
    http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

Very, very cool, Mountaincraft! There is certainly a lot of good stuff going on here. You have every reason to be proud of it.

One thing I can easily recommend - DO get a dust collector. These things are very hazardous to your lungs! This is not a chip cleanup issue but an insidious invisible lung dust issue!

After getting my drum sander going, there was a couple of times I was lazy and didn't connect up the DC to it (see? I even had one already and was just stupid) and I regretted it for a full day both times!

I even made up the attached sticky label to remind me. If anyone would like one and will promise to post a picture of it in use, I'll mail one to a regular post office address you give me in a PM. I also made some other ones but with different text for my CNC.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dusthazardlabel.jpg  
    "72.6 per cent of all statistics are made up on the spot." - Steven Wright

Congrats on reaching the proof of concept point, I love those points.
    A really nice build and a pleasure to watch.

You've got me thinking of looking at making an add-on to my Delta DS as I always wanted one to those tabletop drum sanders.

Nice job though, congrats.
    BobL.

Finally got this thing running yesterday... Got it all wired up and the dust collector plumbed to it (with a home made 6" blast gate at point of use)... I have to go through it and adjust calibrate everything, and build a couple more accessories and drums, but I am very pleased with it's performance... Basically, it's awesome!...

Thing weighs a ton.. I mean like more than a long block V8! LOL

Will post pictures before all is said and done....

Cool I am looking forward to seeing the pictures.

Lou
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-cnc-router-table-machines/140832-cnc-software.html

Maybe set a piece of wood across it too (while it's still), so I can get another perspective of how far it protrudes through the top....

Some Pictures of the nearly done (but now useable) sander, dust collector, and some of the plumbing..

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails shop-sander01.jpg  

Notice the home made 6" blast gate... having the CNC sure is nice for fabricating such things...

So, next need to do project is to run conduit and wiring for point of use power switches for dust collector at each station in the shop...
    and then to make a cyclone separator for the dust collector... that's what the blue rubbermaid can is purposed for...

For now, I wired the feed belt motor so that with a flip of the switch I can reverse it... This is how I am dealing with belt walk.. It takes about 20 minutes or so to walk far enough to where I have to stop and reverse it.... want to take the drive roller to a friends machine shop and have it crowned.. see if then I can dial it in.. If it still walks, I'm thinking I'll add a photo sensor on one side so that when it's running in reverse, I don't have to watch it.. I can just set it to reverse, walk away, and the sensor will act as a limit switch to shut the feed belt motor off....

Later on down the road, I can think about adding a solenoid to use the sensor to tighten and loosen one side of the belt to auto-track it....

I need to build the tilt fence for top side sanding (that's what the blue T track is for)..

I also want to add a Wesley digital thickness gauge.. and I still need to build a couple more drums.....

This thing is completely dust free, and so is the planer....

As long as I'm careful not to get too aggressive with the passes, it is very precise and sands material extremely flat..
    will definitely work for use in making guitars....

Pretty dang happy with this thing so far....

Sweet.
    It looks like I may have to add one of these to the list of future projects.

Mike
    Warning: DIY CNC may cause extreme hair loss due to you pulling your hair out.

Mark looks great looks very sturdy I could use one of these a very nice build who's design?

Lou:cheers:

Just designed it as I went.. Had a general idea of what I wanted, and then dealt with each issue as I moved forward.... Tried to resolve them in my head as far ahead as possible.....

truthfully, I've seen nothing remotely like it anywhere.... combines two different approaches/machines/purposes

Here is a link at woodweb of my DIY sander combination planer.
    Shop made CNC and wide belt sander - WOODWEB's Shop Built Forum

Haven't been around in a while, but that doesn't mean I haven't been doing anything..

I've been using this sander and love it... have issues with the feedbelt walking but I have found a workaround that works well, and later on, will do a permanent fix..

For now, I found that putting the crown (made from blue painters tape) on the idler shaft, gets it where it takes a while to walk all the way over (15 mins or so), and then that if I keep the feed belt 'loose' I can just push the feedbelt from the idler end (sander input), and it will slip on the power end (output), and a few pushes like this while simultaneously pushing it towards the side I want to move it to, will quickly move the belt back to the opposite end that it wants to walk to.. I do this with the feedbelt running and the drum turning so it doesn't even slow me down.... Then, when I feed material into the sander, it is then applying force the 'opposite direction' which tightens the belt and prevents slipping... It works well.. I just have to remember to wear gloves, as pushing with bear hands against the belt with the force required causes skin to be removed...

For a long term fix, I will probably machine one or more grooves into both shafts, and then have a custom conveyor belt made with matching v-rib under the belt surface, that rides in the grooves...

I have to break the domain that is attached to all of these pictures, and as such the image links will be broken... I have moved them all to another domain, and all that is required where a linked image is missing, is to replace "www.mountiancraftworks.com" with "http://www.r8rphan.com/mc"...

I see no way to edit these links anymore, so if anyone knows how I can do that, I will do that for all my images on this site..... but short of that, the best I can do is to tell you where the new images are and you will have to manually load them and repoint the images...

Registered

Downloads
    Uploads

I was partially wrong...

a few linked images will remain intact..

Page 14 of 14 4121314