585,766 active members*
4,163 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Prolight 3000 tool turret problem
Page 1 of 2 12

Prolight 3000 tool turret problem

First off I'm a total newbie at machine work! I purchased a Prolight 3000 turning center with the automatic tool turret. I was in the process of running a basic turning program when the machine plunged the tool into the work piece too far. The lathe ground to a stop just as I pushed the e-stop. After I retracted the tool I noticed the tool turret doesn't rotate smoothly as it did before the accident. When the turret is rotated it jerks and grinds and really doesn't want to move. It also won't index correctly. I think that I've damaged the stepper motor. I've checked the connections for the motor and looked at the armature and don't see anything wrong. Any advise on other problems that I have created or where I can get a replacement motor.
    Thanks!

Prolight 3000 tool turret problem

I had this problem before and it had to do with the stepper motor coupling coming loose. Remove the stepper and check the motor coupling. It should be a easy fix.

I looked at that and couldn't see a problem maybe a little contact cleaner will do the job. Since I had the motor off and I turned the turret around to check the gears is there a certain way that has to be used to "re-time" the turret?
    Thanks.

Have you checked the GCode? Was it a command that fed in too much or a glitch of unexplained origin? Steppers are pretty tough and can be stalled with no real damage.

You know I haven't figured out the codes yet. Even though I got a book on code from the library and read over it and read the student activity books that came with the machine,I wasn't confident on writing my own code. I drew the part I needed on spectra cam. It was a simple 1.75" x .308' steel spacer with a small taper running from left to right. I had cut the taper with the program and then manually parted the piece. This worked for me twice using two pieces of stock of the same length. I couldn't figure out how to use the same program on the now shorter pieces of stock for the last two spacers so I redrew the part but included the parting section on the second program. I did a test run with no stock and it looked ok. I ran the program and it started out fine and then the tool bit started digging in resulting in a stall. When I cleared everything up the turret quit working.
    I did look closer at the computer connector going from the turret stepper motor to the connector on the cross slide. I did notice that one pin with a green wire on it looks discolored. It also looks like the socket it plugs into may be pushed deep into the insulator block. Now I just have to figure out a way to test/fix it!
    Thanks.

Robert, does this machine have its own proprietary software? Can you copy the code the machine was running? Sometimes errors or wild movements are not in the code at all and just some random unexplained crash. This is more typical of a home built machine with a wiring issue of some kind. Sometimes if you are not familiar with CAD/CAM when assigning a toolpath a parameter will be set wrong and send the tool in too deep too quick or the like. It is good you ran or run a dry run as a proof. This will help most of the time. I am only a hobbyist and am not familiar with your machine however I have crashed a lathe and mill a few times! My machines are small and damage is usually confined to the part or vise. I cant imagine why only one wire to a stepper would be overheated enough to burn up or lose continuity. Any pictures of the machine or problem area?

The machine is made by Light Machine Corp. It's a Prolight 3000 that I picked up from a school. I would think that it has proprietary programming since the machine was a complete system with student projects, tools etc.
    It has a command box in the program for turret operation. You can operate the turret in forward and reverse by clicking on two arrows. I took the stepper off the turret this morning. I used contact cleaner on the connections. The stepper turns in the foward direction but it's choppy and you can stop the rotation by just grabbing the shaft. In the reverse direction the shaft moves very little if at all. I think I'm going to try and call the manufacturer tomorrow to see if they have a clue.
    Thanks.

I am familiar with Light Machines to some degree. I too had bought a small lathe & mill set years ago. It was my first conversion. It was really a Sherline based machine with Spectralight/Prolight electronics of which I quickly ditched as I had no software, dongles or ISA cards. Just a moment ago I got down my old boxes. I do have 5 round small steppers that are double shafted with no markings except "889122" stamped in red across face (not visible part if installed) of the stepper. These steppers have a single row of 7 male pins. The plastic shroud to the pins are marked A-H. If these might help you let me know. I believe your machine is a decent sized machine with an R8 spindle.

Never mind the last comment on the mill. It must have been a senoir moment though I do believe they made a decent little mill too. I watched a Prolight 3000 on youtube right after the post. Nice machine. Didnt get to see a close up of the turret or steppers. The video was actually making a part. These machines are not using Gcode the way I understood it. Anyway if the steppers will help, its yours.

Thanks for the offer on the steppers! I drew up another part on spectracam Monday night and tried to run the program. It's a 1.75" diameter shaft with a small left to right taper. Just one line on the drawing!. I figured out how to use the machine without the automatic tool turret. I starter the program and the machine made one pass and cut most of the taper. It then went back to the beginning of the taper for another pass. It started cutting and then it just buried the bit. Had to e-stop it again. It almost looked like it cut the part backwards.
    I called the factory and explained the problem with the turret and they were confident that a "driver" burned out in the control box. According to them it's got to go back to the factory for repair! I guess it'll be sitting for awhile. Time to break out and learn how to use the old 9" Southbend !

Just the driver has to go back, not the whole machine right? Somebody here might have an extra driver or ebay? Good Luck and the SB should be fun.

I have a pile of their electronics, maybe the drivers are the same. Shoot me a pic or part number of the offending driver and I will look at my stuff again.

fastest1,Thanks for the help. Today I'll go out to the shop and look at the part numbers for the control box. Thanks.

If you could shoot a picture and post it. A few people here will tell you exactly what it is and where to find it. A good chance anyway.

Got out to the shop and took some pictures of the beastie. Opened up the cover and didn't she anything that was obviously toasted but you know how that goes!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Photo0453.jpg   Photo0454.jpg   Photo0455.jpg   Photo0456.jpg  

Is the "C" axis the toolchanger in this case? Btw our cases look identical. I repurposed mine when I built my Hobby Cnc Pro controller kit. Whichever port or plug the toolchanger is plugged into, follow those wires inside the case, the first board or card those connect to should be the driver for that axis (I am pretty sure, someone correct me if I am wrong). Shoot a picture of that particular piece if possible and get any part number or identification info off of it. Well forget all of that. I just pulled the old board down and found that it is all built into 1 board. It had been a long time since I gutted this box. Marked "driver rev. A"

Have you posted any of these problems in the "General Electronics" threads? There are some great guys there that might be able to lead you to the chip that is causing the issue. It is probably a 10 dollar or less part.

A picture inside the cover would be best. A lot of these machines use the same chips, just different boards or arrangements. IMU

I took a picture of the board but it came out too blurry so I didn't post it. "C" axis is the one driving the tool turret. When the monsoons stop for the evening I'll go out to the shop and get another interior picture and post it to both forums.
    Thanks.

I am in Texas, hearing the word rain hurts. I was 120 days with no measurable rain in June, We have received less than 1/10" since then. For a typically wet area (Houston) even some of the shallow rooted trees are dying. A small town west of us (Bastrop) has had 1286 homes burn this week.

Page 1 of 2 12