585,981 active members*
4,229 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

machine interface cable

Dear all,

I just want to make sure something. I purchased a powermax 1650 from a local hypertherm distributor in my country. It came with a duromax machine torch. However, when I started connecting the cables, I noticed that I couldn't connect the power supply to my cnc controller since it appeared to be missing a machine interface cable. Obviously I also can't try the stuff since I have no way to trigger the torch.

Should the cable be normally included? The manual says that it does (in 'content of the box' section). What included in the box are:
    - power supply (duh)
    - duromax torch assembly
    - ground cable and clamp
    - consumables (1 set already assembled on torch, one as spare)
    - cd with manual

Is it because the distributor is clueless about what should be inside and what should not or they just want me to shell out more money for something that should be included.

thank's beforehand for any help.

remote pendant for starting is not included, you need to buy it.
    you will need also the cnc spade plug for connecting to your cnc

btw, what CNC machine do you want to connect to ?

if you just want to test / ignite torch on 1650, you can short pin 5& pin6 ( 2 most right side ) on J19 inside the machine

download 1650 service manual to find where J19 is

There are many different configurations of the Hypertherm Powermax plasma units......some configurations have an included interface cable....and some do not. It depends on which part number you purchased.

If you can provide details of the machine you would like to interface the Powermax1650 to...I can help you specify the proper type of interface cable. There also are details of the interface connections in the operators manual which was included with your system.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

Quote Originally Posted by hok View Post
    Dear all,

I just want to make sure something. I purchased a powermax 1650 from a local hypertherm distributor in my country. It came with a duromax machine torch. However, when I started connecting the cables, I noticed that I couldn't connect the power supply to my cnc controller since it appeared to be missing a machine interface cable. Obviously I also can't try the stuff since I have no way to trigger the torch.

Should the cable be normally included? The manual says that it does (in 'content of the box' section). What included in the box are:
    - power supply (duh)
    - duromax torch assembly
    - ground cable and clamp
    - consumables (1 set already assembled on torch, one as spare)
    - cd with manual

Is it because the distributor is clueless about what should be inside and what should not or they just want me to shell out more money for something that should be included.

thank's beforehand for any help.

Dear all,

thank's for the info. So basically the machine interface cable could possibly be not included in the shipped box.

Regarding the CNC type, I'll have to check since a colleague of mine is more involved in setting up the cnc and interfacing it with the plasma. The table is a DIY.

I downloaded the service manual. It was wonderfully easy to find.

hok

If you provide me with the model number of the plasma system your purchased (would be on the outside of the shipping box) I can tell you exactly what components would have been included. As I said in my previous post...there are many configurations, some would have an interace cable, some do not.

Most cnc machine interfaces are simple....having a start output from the cnc that closes a contact when the plasma should fire. This would connect to the start input (pins 3 and 4 on the Hypertherm system rear panel interface plug. There also may be the need for an output from the plasma that indicates the arc is transfered to the plate (also known as "arc good"....pins 12 and 14 of the rear panel connector will make this connection...which is a contact closure output when there is electrical current flow thorugh the work ground lead.

If your system has an arc voltage torch height control...then there will also be a connection for Raw DC output power from the plasma system....this can be found in your operators manual.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

Dear Jim,

thanks for the info with the pins.

I checked the packaging and found these info:
    - delivery: 4162386
    - Item: 059266
    - order: 1573877

if you could double check the order, it would be most appreciated.

Hok

Hok,

The part number you gave me, 059266....is simply the Power Supply part number for the plasma system that you have. There is a system number on the carton that the whole system ships in....that number also starts with 059, and it will tell me all of the components that were shipped with it. I have no way of checking through the delivery and order number that you included.

Here are 8 different mechanized Powermax1650 system numbers that include the Power Supply that you have....the different numbers have different machine torch lead lengths, some have a remote pendant, and some have an interfcae cable with no remote pendant....while others have no pendant and no cable. Likely the system you have is eatherpart number 059286 or 059287. Again, the system number is written on the outside of the Hypertherm Powermax1650 carton that the unit is shipped in.

Jim Colt

Jim,

sorry, I didn't find any further info written on the box. So I guess, we are just going to be reading the service manual and connect the cnc to the power supply ourselves. I'll keep you posted when we get the cnc running.

Thanks a lot for the help, though.

Hok

Maybe the system part number was covered with a shipping label....I guarantee it was written on the carton. If you can tell me the length or part number of your torch and leads, then I can narrow down the part number for your system if you desire.

There are a few different versions of the interface cable as well.....with different lengths and different functionality, depending on what your cnc machines needs are. If you need details on the connector that plugs in to the rear panel receptacle....I can either provide Hypertherm part numbers or manufacturer part numbers.....or I can provide the complete cable part number.

Best regards, Jim Colt

Thanks Jim,
    sorry for replying so late.
    a colleague of mine finally hook up the plasma to our cnc. he followed the service manual and your suggestions.
    Everything works well. We are currently making some sample cuts and trying to find the best possible parameters for the jobs we are doing. We have also stock up on nozzles for different amperage for the duromax torch.
    If I may ask, I follow the recommendation from the user manual in regards to amperage and speed, however, results are not very satisfactory, at times jagged, at times cut has vertical lines, etc. Can you recommend based on your experience what kind of nozzle height, amperage and speed if I am cutting 4.5mm, 6 mm, 9mm and 12 mm mild steel?
    I will post some pictures later what we have tried so far.

hok

Hok: You should follow hypertherm manual, the settings is based on best result experienced.

I follow 100% manual recommendation and the cuts are great.

If something wrong, most cause is your table / control ( like torch mounted not straight , gantry wobble, air pressure , table not level ,etc ) or your Gcode ( correct delay, feedrate ? )

What table do you use? any picture of the table?

Hi,

we did follow the recommendation from Hypertherm to no avail. Just like you said, it might be other things thats wrong with it. Since I am using a DIY gantry table with stepper motor, there is higher possibility that there is something not perfect to begin with.

That's why I would like to know if anybody here have any parameter that they successfully use with their own DIY table and controller. (i hope nobody gets offended by this, I am not saying that anybody's DIY table is less than perfect).

However, I would as you suggest try to see if there is anything wrong with the entire setup.

I'll post pics in a few days, since I am not on location.

Thanks for the input.

Hok

Did you come right with the connection? I had the same problem. sorted it out myself, the dealer I bought the machine from could not or was incapable or not willing to help me. Download the service manual of your specific machine , it has all the connections on the wiring diagram and connect 2 wires to the pins with a small plug ( got my plug from an old TV set) and to the switching unit ( relay )

yes I do now. we are up and running. Just trying to get the cut better and better. I am using an old compressor and the air is humid here. I have a problem getting up to cut speed recommended by hypertherm without having bad cut quality.

thank's for the info.