585,982 active members*
4,611 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

New to CNC- from Canberra

Hi Guys

Just wanted to say hi and introduce myself. My name is Dan and i make solid timber and timber veneer furniture in Canberra.

We have just purchased a second hand SCM Pratix CNC router, with a 2700mm x 1200mm table, and a z axis over 200mm to learn on.

Looking forward to learning and picking up any tips you guys might have for me!

I have been reading about some of the home made ones and there are some great ideas outthere, well done.

Cheers,
    Danno

Thumbs up

45 views and not one reply. Talkative bunch are we?

Hi Danno,

welcome to CNC, I personally don't have a CNC. I don't even have a mill yet but that should change soon. So your second hand SCM Pratix CNC router, with a 2700mm x 1200mm table, and a z axis over 200mm is double dutch to me but I couldn't just pass through and not say hello! That would be rude!

Welcome dude!

Simon

Hi also

I am also in Canberra, and also a newby at milling.

This place actually is not very talkative. Not sure why, but may be so that the threads do not contain a lot of conversational 'padding'.

Don't take it the wrong way.

Garry

Welcome Danno

Sounds like you will have some fun with that machine, post some pictures of the cnc router, this will give us more to talk about.

Cheers Michael :cheers:

Hi Guys,

I dont have it yet, not sure how to drive it either, but its gunna be a hell of a ride!

Here she is!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0245.jpg  

That is one nice machine!

I bet you can't wait.

Garry

Very nice indeed. Is it rude to ask (ballpark) what something like that costs?

I'm looking at building a 2' x 3' or 4' x 4' myself at the moment (probably the FLA open design series using 80/20 extrusion). Obviously this would be a lot more hobbyist than your unit!

-- Dave

hi dan
    man what a pokey little machine! i thought it was something with a bit of grunt!!
    its a #@!$ monster.

nice to chat today. will attempt to swing by when i'm next in town so you can show me this beast in action.

check out my build thread at http://www.cnczone.com/forums/austra...new_build.html

not quite as complex as the scm but its been good fun none the less - very addictive! be careful

ill post some pics of some yr12 industrial technology projects when i get a tick.

do you know what software etc youll be using yet?

cheers scott

Quote Originally Posted by dhpeterson View Post
    Very nice indeed. Is it rude to ask (ballpark) what something like that costs?

-- Dave
    you can pick one up second hand for between 50-100 grand, depending on the type of machine and age.

This is a specific solid timber machine, so it has upgraded motors on the x and y axis, as well as a 10kw electrospindle motor. z axis height is also around 200mm.

Quote Originally Posted by sli21 View Post
    hi dan
    man what a pokey little machine! i thought it was something with a bit of grunt!!
    its a #@!$ monster.

nice to chat today. will attempt to swing by when i'm next in town so you can show me this beast in action.

check out my build thread at http://www.cnczone.com/forums/austra...new_build.html

not quite as complex as the scm but its been good fun none the less - very addictive! be careful

ill post some pics of some yr12 industrial technology projects when i get a tick.

do you know what software etc youll be using yet?

cheers scott
    Hi Scott,

Cheers for that. Sorry i cant be more helpful with the tour through my workshop.

I wont have it running in the shop till after xmas, theres quite a bit of infrastructure to get something like this set up and running in the workshop.

The biggest hurdle at the moment is the power- she needs around 47 amps to run. I have 100 amps per phase to the workshop currently, but with the cnc and a proposed dust extractor upgrade (even it has an 18.5kw fan motor- also needs around 30 amps to run) as well as the 20 or so woodwork machines we currently have we are at the limit of 100 amps, so we will be upgrading to 250 amps to the building, then running 3 lots of 3 phase sub boards to different parts of the workshop.

Once we get it going we will be making all kinds of furniture components on there, such as chairs, cabinet sides, book cases curved table legs etc. its going to take around 12 months of work to intergrate it properly into the workshop itslf and hours of drawing.

We will be using software caled Xylog- developed by SCM in Italy for the machine. This is pretty basic component software but with parametric programming the templates we create can be adjusted and saved easily. EG- a bookcase side written parametrically will adjust itself to add or subtract the amount of shelves it should have once an overall height is given, so you dont have to draw the whole thing again.

Your build is awesome, a great display of power mechanics. your students are lucky to have someone so clever and that knows stuff and actually gives a **** about things!

keep in touch,
    Danno