585,567 active members*
3,446 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > Will I be able to buy food for my cats?

Will I be able to buy food for my cats?

Hello everybody

My name is Andrea, and I am writing from Torino, Italy.
    I am a CNC newbie - well, I would like to become a newbie, to be exact!

I would like to buy/build a CNC router (I actually work for a firm building industrial automation machinery: my colleagues could easily design and build that kind of thing) to start a small business to produce small boats kits, signs and all the things my fantasy will suggest me.

I worked for several years as a graphic designer and I am used to work with drawing programs such as Adobe Illustrator, Macromedia Freehand and so on. About CAD, I can use Solidworks and Autocad.
    So I feel confident enough about my possibilities and actual skills and about the possibility to improve those skills.

The info that I am missing are about the time involved in doing jobs with a CNC router...
    I mean: should I have to make a sign like the one I attached here, let me say sized 25x25 cm (or 10'x10') starting form a 2d vector file, how much time should I expect to spend working on the file, and most of all how much would it take to the router to work the piece?

Is someone out there so kind to help me?
    I need to understand if I would be able to earn food for me and for my cats doing CNC works before to leave my actual job...

Everyone who will help me can count on all my support should him come to visit our nice city for next February's Winter Olympics! :-)

Thanks by now

Andrea Patrucco
    Torino, Italy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wood_image_4.jpg  

Andrea,

Welcome to CNCzone! There are several members who make many of the items you have an interest in. No doubt by this time tomorrow you will have several replies. I myself can't help you, but I at least wanted to welcome you aboard. Your question is interesting and I don't believe I seen it asked before by others.

Lance

Thanks, Lance

the invitation to come visit Torino for next Winter Olympics Games is open to CNCzone moderators too... :-)

A.

Quote Originally Posted by Faber.sum
    Thanks, Lance

the invitation to come visit Torino for next Winter Olympics Games is open to CNCzone moderators too... :-)

A.
    I don't know...we are a motley bunch! It sounds as if you'll have plenty of resources to draw on when building your machine-your lucky to work for an automation firm. Hopefully you can aquire parts easier and at better prices because of that. If and when you do build, make sure to keep a log here detailing your progress. Start stocking up on the beer and pizza-we get hungry!

Lance

Estimates only,
    4 hours for the CAD/CAM work.
    12-36 hours on the CNC depending upon your tool choice, CNC capabilities, etc.

Good luck,
    Trent

12-36 hours! so many!

well, so asking was a good idea - I was thinking about something like 3-4 hours.

Many thanks, Trent!

Andrea

Andrea,
    The time may be out as you have specified 25cm x 25 cm and converted this to 10' x 10'
    Most of these guys work in imperial and will have took what you read when in fact the size is 10" x 10"

Hope this helps but I can't help on the time as I dont do this type of work.

John S.

If you're making more then one, and if they are to be made of resin or some type of plastic, I would look at making a mold.

John,
    thanks for your post... right, I did a mistake converting from metric to imperial!
    I'll try to do some simulation with some software to extimate the times.

Viper
    thanks for your suggestion - what I am trying to undestand are the times involved in machining 3D parts with a CNC router, the sign shown was just an example. I am interested in starting a small CNC business.

What do you do with your CNC machines?

Thanks everybody for your help!

regards

Andrea

If the sign is of wood or plastic the time could be more in the range of 3 to 4 hours as you thought. There are so many variables, the sharper the resolution of the final product the tinier the cuts will have to be, which of course means many more passes and much more time.
    I think all of us were surprised at how long things took when we first started working/playing with CNC.
    Good luck!
    David
    www.solsylva.com

Hi Sol

many thanks for your infos!

I'm taking a look at your website... VERY interesting!

Bye, thanks again for your attention

Andrea